Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginning of the end for Nokia?  (Read 5423 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Beginning of the end for Nokia?
« Reply #15 on: 09 February 2011, 17:13:03 »

Hence my original comment of M/S snapping them up a few years down the line, its only going to be viable for them for mobile side of the business, manufacturing, contacts, relationships, engineering.

With custom roms i really did like WM6, if they sorted the hardware side of things, it could be real competition for Apple.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 February 2011, 17:45:04 »

Who's Symbian?  :-? :-? :-?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 February 2011, 17:47:43 »

What, not, who.  :) Its Nokias operating system is been using on its phones for years. I was ok-ish, but its totally out-classed now.

Two main versions S40 & S60, S40 was very basic cut down, S60, in its day was fairly powerful. I used a S60 powered Nokia N70 to run TomTom when in L.A  :)
« Last Edit: 09 February 2011, 17:49:27 by tunnie »

albitz

« Reply #18 on: 09 February 2011, 17:49:09 »

I have a Nokia smartphone and I dont know either. :D ;D ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #19 on: 09 February 2011, 17:50:42 »

agreed Tunnie, for my last purchase just for that reason I didnt buy nokia like many people..

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 February 2011, 17:58:06 »

What, not, who.  :) Its Nokias operating system is been using on its phones for years. I was ok-ish, but its totally out-classed now.

Two main versions S40 & S60, S40 was very basic cut down, S60, in its day was fairly powerful. I used a S60 powered Nokia N70 to run TomTom when in L.A  :)

TomTom? You mean you can do more than phone calls with yours?  :-? :-? :-?

;) ;) ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 February 2011, 17:59:18 »

I have a Nokia smartphone and I dont know either. :D ;D ;D

Mine's just a Nokia (pay-as-you-go) phone!  ;) ;) ;)

albitz

« Reply #22 on: 09 February 2011, 18:00:10 »

The phone may be smart, but Im not. ::) ;D ;D..........I also have PAYG as I hardly ever use it. Billy no mates me. :'( ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 09 February 2011, 18:01:42 by albitz »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 February 2011, 18:29:28 »

Nokia mobile handsets - Nokia have lacked direction for years, the last really good phone was the 6310.

At the high end of the market, where the profit is, they have nothing. They have lived on reputation, Sony style, for so long (I mean, only the most loyal Nokia fan would have bought the likes of N95 and N96, and I'm sure chrisgixer will add his 2p on n900), now they are a joke.

Symbian has always suffered from being a kernel, so too expensive for handset developers to develop for (Android needs to take heed of this as well!), thus they all have that same, very basic UI. Symbian, like Google, say the UI is down to handset maker - hopefully Google will take that flawed strategy and change it, crApple needs a serious competitor.

Cheaper Nokias may sell in the millions, but very low margin, so not really a big money spinner.

Nokia's mobile business includes infrastructure products, and Nokia makes good money from this.

Nokia are also quite big in networking. OK, some of their firewalls are pants IMHO, but they shift a fair few, and at 'enterprise' prices ;)

MS are in no position to buy Nokia, nor would it fit their strategy. Shame, as MS needs to lose HTC, who are bloody hopeless, and probably singlehandedly responsible for Win Mobile 6's demise. Poorly designed products, and very bad OS implementation (hence the massive market for (illegal) homebrew cooked roms).  MS would be better to buy HTC than Nokia, or quite simply design/sell their own handset.
Grumpy old man

albitz

« Reply #24 on: 09 February 2011, 18:37:22 »

Got a Nokia 5800 express with music - it was brillant value. :y

cost £0.00  :)

Mysteryman

« Reply #25 on: 09 February 2011, 18:38:26 »

I've got a nokia. It makes phone calls and sometimes even texts :y

albitz

« Reply #26 on: 09 February 2011, 18:41:53 »

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 February 2011, 18:44:06 »

not suprised, few years ago I wouldn't consider anything but nokia....now I considered everything EXCEPT nokia

i am with you on that one...years ago they were the dogs do dars....but nowadays they are absolute pants :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 February 2011, 18:45:09 »

I've got a nokia. It makes phone calls and sometimes even texts :y

Ah! You have the same phone as me!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 February 2011, 18:47:17 »

Nokia mobile handsets - Nokia have lacked direction for years, the last really good phone was the 6310.

At the high end of the market, where the profit is, they have nothing. They have lived on reputation, Sony style, for so long (I mean, only the most loyal Nokia fan would have bought the likes of N95 and N96, and I'm sure chrisgixer will add his 2p on n900), now they are a joke.

Symbian has always suffered from being a kernel, so too expensive for handset developers to develop for (Android needs to take heed of this as well!), thus they all have that same, very basic UI. Symbian, like Google, say the UI is down to handset maker - hopefully Google will take that flawed strategy and change it, crApple needs a serious competitor.

Cheaper Nokias may sell in the millions, but very low margin, so not really a big money spinner.

Nokia's mobile business includes infrastructure products, and Nokia makes good money from this.

Nokia are also quite big in networking. OK, some of their firewalls are pants IMHO, but they shift a fair few, and at 'enterprise' prices ;)

MS are in no position to buy Nokia, nor would it fit their strategy. Shame, as MS needs to lose HTC, who are bloody hopeless, and probably singlehandedly responsible for Win Mobile 6's demise. Poorly designed products, and very bad OS implementation (hence the massive market for (illegal) homebrew cooked roms).  MS would be better to buy HTC than Nokia, or quite simply design/sell their own handset.
My 6150 is now 12 years old, on original battery, in daily use & has frequently fallen out of my pocket & on one occasion took a trip down the escalator at Arlanda airport, which I reckon is a pretty good phone too!
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.