Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A V referendum  (Read 2025 times)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
A V referendum
« on: 03 April 2011, 12:52:54 »

Are we all getting exited about this? it's happening on May 5th and everyone seems totally underwhelmed by this, is this just a sop to the lib dems? :(

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: A V referendum
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2011, 13:01:20 »

Oh yes I am so excited R I am wetting myself! ::) ::) ::) ::)

Can't wait to vote as I love writing that "X" in the box! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

No, seriously the turnout will probably be 20% if they are lucky, but I know what I am voting for having studied Politics and worldwide voting systems! 

Leave it all as it is  or you will end up with a far higher proportion of "hung Parliaments", and does anyone want more of what we have now!! ::) ::) ;)

markfree

« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2011, 13:05:53 »

Better to make voting compulsory than fiddle about with the voting system - you get fined if you don't fill in your census form so why can't they apply this to voting.

mkirky

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2011, 13:11:17 »

Tell me someone you know who has been fined for not filling in the census form i dont think so :-?

Nickbat

« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2011, 13:11:49 »

Are we all getting exited about this? it's happening on May 5th and everyone seems totally underwhelmed by this, is this just a sop to the lib dems? :(

Not exactly excited. We should be getting a vote on our EU membership, which many want. Instead we get this vote which few want. That's politics for you.

I must say I'm undecided. On the one hand the FPTP system is straightforward and, as many have said, will tend to give working majorities (though not the last time!). On the other hand, people often do not vote for the minority parties, even though they may want to in their heart, because they believe that such a vote would be wasted as "they'll never get in". Under AV, minority parties would do better.

Since I absolutely detest all three major parties, and would wish to see UKIP do well, I am minded to support AV just for that reason alone. :y

That said, I am underwhelmed by it all and may not even vote.  ;) 
« Last Edit: 03 April 2011, 13:12:53 by Nickbat »

markfree

« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2011, 13:13:06 »

Tell me someone you know who has been fined for not filling in the census form i dont think so :-?

I bet you filled in your census form.

mkirky

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2011, 13:20:50 »

No i did not take me to court along with alot of other people i know

Richgm

• Tamworth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 April 2011, 13:24:18 »

Am I excited about it?    NO!
Will I go and vote?         YES

The way I see it, most people who are for AV will vote as it's a chance to change the system. The majority of the voting public will be overcome by apathy once again and then moan like anything after the event if the outcome is not what they wanted.

I think AV might have a chance of getting in, but I hope I'm wrong!
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2011, 14:06:20 »

Sadly I think there will be a very small turnout.

IMO most people(if they bother to vote) vote either labour or conservative on principle (don't want the current lot, vote for a more enlightened minority party is a wasted vote or my dad always votes for xxxx). A few vote Lib Dem because they don't like labour or conservative. An even smaller minority vote for other parties either because they represent something (e.g. UKIP) or they are making a point.

It would actually be nice to see the system changed so that more of the minority parties could get representation. UKIP might (just might) be able to do something about our parlous state of EU membership if they were in a coalition government. Out of a coalition government there is no chance as we have seen with both labour and the current lot.

Will AV happen? Don't think so. Call me Dave will ensure a good turnout for a no vote.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2011, 14:44:45 »

No i did not take me to court along with alot of other people i know

why do you even live in a democracy? bet you cant be arsed voting either   :o

and if you dont vote, dont bitch - you have no opinion on anything dont pretend you do.  :y
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 April 2011, 14:54:15 »

what is funny is the tories trying to tell us all its far too complicated  ;D

yep 1,2,3.......gets tricky after that - although DC didn't seem to mind AV when he was elected leader of the tories did he?

I dont think this form of AV is much cop but it moves us in the right direction, making every vote at least count, yes people would be free to vote their conscience rather than tactically so you would get a few of the wee diddy parties getting a boost - but if that reflects society then why is that a bad thing? majority of the country is vaguely leftish so i can see why it would kill the tories and hence their resistance to change but if DC wants a big society he has to accept what the big society wants surely  ;)

mkirky

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 April 2011, 14:58:37 »

So you think you live in a democracy just goes to show how little you know but thats obvious by your posts not just in this thread

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 April 2011, 15:16:18 »

So you think you live in a democracy just goes to show how little you know but thats obvious by your posts not just in this thread

you deny yourself the vote? please dont lecture me about democracy when theres people dying fighting for basic human rights ;)
« Last Edit: 03 April 2011, 15:16:47 by bannjaxx »

MICHELINMAN

• Intermediate Member
  • YABBA-DABBA-DOO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 April 2011, 15:18:00 »

Oh yes I am so excited R I am wetting myself! ::) ::) ::) ::)

Can't wait to vote as I love writing that "X" in the box! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

No, seriously the turnout will probably be 20% if they are lucky, but I know what I am voting for having studied Politics and worldwide voting systems! 

Leave it all as it is  or you will end up with a far higher proportion of "hung Parliaments", and does anyone want more of what we have now!! ::) ::) ;)

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

mkirky

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 April 2011, 15:19:28 »

Census has nothing to do with voting i though you would know that as you seem to think you know everything else
and some of us atually do the fighting not just sit on our arse bitching about it
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.