Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gearbox removal  (Read 836 times)

Raymienets

• Glasgow
    • 2.2 cd & 2.6 LPG
    • View Profile
Gearbox removal
« on: 19 April 2011, 17:30:32 »

How would you go about removing a gearbox only having a set of axle stands and a trolley jack. Should I buy another set and jack up the full car. Any ideas what to use with the trolley jack to take the weight of the box for lowering. Only have a driveway to work no fancy pits. Or should I not even attempt it.?

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Gearbox removal
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2011, 18:08:26 »

It is a shame I don't live nearer mate. I would offer to give you a hand especially after all the trouble you have had. I built a concrete level ramp specially but it is 40 cm high.

i suspect that if it was on four Halfords metal ramps it would be high enough. You have got to get is up in the air safely.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2011, 19:08:37 »

go and buy yourself a set of car ramps, jack car up at rear put it on ramps but put one forward facing and one rear facing so the car cannot move, then jack front up and use axle stands there,
omega box is not heavy easy to lift down but an assistant is helpful when putting it up!!!
having said that i put mine in meself by facing the back of the car and putting box on me knees then lifting with me legs and use me arms to push and wriggle it int place!!! dont suit everybody this method though!! ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2011, 19:31:06 »

having said that i put mine in meself by facing the back of the car and putting box on me knees then lifting with me legs and use me arms to push and wriggle it int place!!! dont suit everybody this method though!! ;D

That's how I fitted the last gearbox to a car (1900 Manta B) but I'm not sure I'd have the effort required to do the same these days - I've gone all weak in my old age  ::) ::) ::) ::) You can tell how far you tilt the box downwards by how much gear oil runs down your legs! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2011, 19:31:53 »

That's how I fitted the last gearbox to a car (1900 Manta B) but I'm not sure I'd have the effort required to do the same these days - I've gone all weak in my old age  ::) ::) ::) ::) You can tell how far you tilt the box downwards by how much gear oil runs down your legs! ;D ;D ;D ;D

yep old school box with a spline connection at the end will do that, fortunately migs have a bolt on rear end so it doesent comver you in oil, :y also know what your saying about putting gearbox,s in and out this way, does get harder, but being as i do at least one a month(normally a vw transporter damned heavy) i seem even at my advanced age :o to have retained the knack!!! :y

albitz

« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2011, 20:12:56 »

You must be fit Omegatoy ! I did my AR25 change by myself up to the point of putting it back in, then I needed a bit of help from my son and a trolley jack.
Taking it out isnt too bad - just put something soft underneath and keep out of the way while pulling the jack rearwards until the box comes away and inevitably falls off the jack.
I didnt get that bit quite right tbh, so it fell on my hand. ::) ;D

Mysteryman

« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2011, 20:14:02 »

You must be fit Omegatoy ! I did my AR25 change by myself up to the point of putting it back in, then I needed a bit of help from my son and a trolley jack.
Taking it out isnt too bad - just put something soft underneath and keep out of the way while pulling the jack rearwards until the box comes away and inevitably falls off the jack.

What did you use? Your head? ;D

albitz

« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2011, 20:17:24 »

You have no rather idea how much I would have liked to have used yours. :P :)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2011, 21:43:53 »

got to admit auto,s are more awkward than manuals!!! in fact we did senor varche,s auto using a jack cos the ramps he built precluded lifting it up and down by hand,  when using a jack i always find using one of theose luggage ratcht strap things keeps or at least helps to keep it on the jack :y

albitz

« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2011, 21:46:18 »

Anyone know what an autobox weighs ? I would guess at around 75kg but its only a guess.  :-/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2011, 22:17:42 »

Anyone know what an autobox weighs ? I would guess at around 75kg but its only a guess.  :-/

My guess would be around 3000Kg. Definitely a 2 man job unless you are Geoff Capes or his slim brother Omegatoy!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

albitz

« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2011, 22:23:30 »

My guess would be around 3000Kg. Definitely a 2 man job unless you are Geoff Capes or his slim brother Omegatoy!
You sure ? thewhole  car only weighs 1700kg. :D ::)

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2011, 22:24:30 »

You sure Varche :-? thought the entire mig was only about 1800  ;D ;D
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 April 2011, 12:23:51 »

3000 Kgs was tongue in cheek. ;D ;D  I would say 75 to 80kg is nearer the mark.

Isn't there anyone a bit nearer that could maybe help this fellow out?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.