Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: Bus nostalgia  (Read 224667 times)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Re: Bus nostalgia
« Reply #1050 on: 12 March 2011, 01:04:52 »

Getting a bit modern for me now, though drove a few Optare's with, I believe a Volvo engine, for John Smiths of Dalton, near Thirsk that were more up to date.....shortly before I lost my HGV/PSV licence on health ground, though I now have them back... :y Mind this new CPC rule may well prevent me from any further driving unless I do the course.... >:( >:(

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: 12 March 2011, 01:18:39 »

Getting a bit modern for me now, though drove a few Optare's with, I believe a Volvo engine, for John Smiths of Dalton, near Thirsk that were more up to date.....shortly before I lost my HGV/PSV licence on health ground, though I now have them back... :y Mind this new CPC rule may well prevent me from any further driving unless I do the course.... >:( >:(

I'm in the same position here too Mike ........
The said course sounds a right PITA  >:(
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: 12 March 2011, 08:35:59 »

To carry on, generally, with the regulatory aspect of driving these vehicles I can't help noticing that the vast majority of all the machines (if not all) featured in the thread so far display a very modest single exterior rear-view mirror arrangement - unlike the coach I followed for a while yesterday which seemed to have a variety of mirrors from the roof-line to below the drivers side window.

How did the drivers of yesteryear manage?

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: 12 March 2011, 09:36:42 »

To carry on, generally, with the regulatory aspect of driving these vehicles I can't help noticing that the vast majority of all the machines (if not all) featured in the thread so far display a very modest single exterior rear-view mirror arrangement - unlike the coach I followed for a while yesterday which seemed to have a variety of mirrors from the roof-line to below the drivers side window.

How did the drivers of yesteryear manage?

Never had a problem to be honest Z ;)

And not many know this ........ an INTERIOR mirror was legally required only if the vehicle operated a stage-carriage service on a 'one man' basis!
 8-)
« Last Edit: 12 March 2011, 09:40:30 by Reliance505 »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1054 on: 12 March 2011, 09:41:11 »

Byron, what was your favourite Y-Series Bedford out of all that we have spoken about?

What were the challengers of driving and operating them, and what lessons were learnt?

Lastly why did the coach operators turn away from British born and bred coaches and turn to the Volvo's amongst others?

:y :y

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: 12 March 2011, 11:19:49 »

And not many know this ........ an INTERIOR mirror was legally required only if the vehicle operated a stage-carriage service on a 'one man' basis!
 8-)

Yes, I like facts such as that one :y - presumably (in the absence of a conductor) to see passengers.

Although I'm clueless to what a stage-carriage service is. ;D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1056 on: 12 March 2011, 11:55:47 »

8-)

Yes, I like facts such as that one :y - presumably (in the absence of a conductor) to see passengers.

.............and what us teenage kids were up to on the back seat!! ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: 12 March 2011, 14:24:38 »

8-)

Dead right Z ..........

A 'stage-carriage service' is effectively your local bus route, ie; where passengers are charged individual fares for individual journeys.
 ;)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: 12 March 2011, 14:26:58 »

8-)

Dead right Z ..........

A 'stage-carriage service' is effectively your local bus route, ie; where passengers are charged individual fares for individual journeys.
 ;)

Aah, that makes sense to me B. :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1059 on: 12 March 2011, 18:32:27 »

Anyone know what this old coach is?

It is believed to be a 1929 Dennis EV coach, but is it?

:D :D

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: 12 March 2011, 22:40:52 »

Any takers on this one?

Am pretty sure that it's definately not a Dennis EV though, pretty sure ........

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: 12 March 2011, 22:44:36 »

8-)

.............and what us teenage kids were up to on the back seat!! ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

If your party consisted of a pretty lady sat in the central rear seat too, the driver got a birds eye view - sometimes to the point of distraction!
 :D :D :D :D :D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1062 on: 13 March 2011, 09:50:08 »

8-)

If your party consisted of a pretty lady sat in the central rear seat too, the driver got a birds eye view - sometimes to the point of distraction!
 :D :D :D :D :D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Well there lies the subject of a new thread Byron; the Confessions of a coach driver !! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1063 on: 13 March 2011, 11:54:55 »

Byron, what was your favourite Y-Series Bedford out of all that we have spoken about?

What were the challengers of driving and operating them, and what lessons were learnt?

Lastly why did the coach operators turn away from British born and bred coaches and turn to the Volvo's amongst others?

:y :y

Byron I understand you can give me some answers to my querries by showing this coach:

:y :y :y :y :y ;)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1064 on: 13 March 2011, 11:58:59 »

....................and this is another of Byron's favourite Y-Series Bedford's:

A lovely, well proportioned, design!  Why oh why did they lose the battle with foreign coach makers?! ::) ::) ::)

:y :y :y
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 101   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 17 queries.