Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: windows 7 updates  (Read 2026 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: windows 7 updates
« Reply #15 on: 20 April 2011, 21:14:57 »

If reinstalling win7, I use win7 with sp1 integrated.  Vista and Win7 updates can be a right mare when they go wrong

Can you "streamline" a win 7 install with the downloaded SP1 the same way you could with XP ?? I have been told you can't due to some security setup ??? Admittedly I've not searched t'web for the answer !!
Whilst nothing is impossible, no, not officially.  MS release the media with integrated SP shortly after SP release. All Win7 media is basically the same, bar 1 file.

right so to get an integrated setup I'd need to download the DVD file from MS .. top one I believe ... (presently downloading the SP1 only from the same page .. :)  )

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda&displaylang=en

??

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2011, 21:30:52 »

If reinstalling win7, I use win7 with sp1 integrated.  Vista and Win7 updates can be a right mare when they go wrong

Can you "streamline" a win 7 install with the downloaded SP1 the same way you could with XP ?? I have been told you can't due to some security setup ??? Admittedly I've not searched t'web for the answer !!
Whilst nothing is impossible, no, not officially.  MS release the media with integrated SP shortly after SP release. All Win7 media is basically the same, bar 1 file.

right so to get an integrated setup I'd need to download the DVD file from MS .. top one I believe ... (presently downloading the SP1 only from the same page .. :)  )

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda&displaylang=en

??
No, that just includes all SPs.

You need an MSDN subscription, be a partner, or OEM access to get it.  I don't think I'm allowed to distribute the media, even though its useless without a valid key
Grumpy old man

Martian

« Reply #17 on: 21 April 2011, 00:05:06 »

No, that just includes all SPs.

You need an MSDN subscription, be a partner, or OEM access to get it.  I don't think I'm allowed to distribute the media, even though its useless without a valid key
I can legally distribute the media as an MVP, so I'm sure you can as well. You are however correct in that giving your key away would result in a breach of the T&C's.
I don't know about your installation discs, but our's will work with any key that is legitimate.

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 April 2011, 01:45:05 »

PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

aarotho

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2011, 07:12:29 »

Windows 7 is much better than previous Vista OS no doubt XP was much better... ;D 

Martian

« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2011, 11:58:31 »

Windows 7 is much better than previous Vista OS no doubt XP was much better... ;D 
Vista was flawed because it was rushed out of the door before it was ready, and 7 is actually quicker than XP in terms of performance (it's also more secure than XP where program installation is concerned).
« Last Edit: 17 May 2011, 11:58:51 by Martian »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2011, 12:17:58 »

i've had to many random bugs with 7, particularly with WiFi (full propper legal installs) on various machines. But still had a lot of problems, it refusing point blank to work, mother T's laptop after an update screwed the WiFi too.

XP or Mac OSX here, I avoid 7 at all costs....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2011, 20:44:08 »

i've had to many random bugs with 7, particularly with WiFi (full propper legal installs) on various machines. But still had a lot of problems, it refusing point blank to work, mother T's laptop after an update screwed the WiFi too.

If you have 250+ 6to4 adapters in the Networks part of Device Manager (need to show hidden devices), thats a known bug that stops WIndows networking (ie, SMB traffic). Solution, remove all of them, and install SP1 ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2011, 20:46:31 »

Fortunately, XP is losing all support soon, hopefully the people hanging on for grim death because they can't be bothered to learn Vista+ will have no choice ;)

XP is old, broken, slow, insecure if you're retarded enough to run as a permenent admin, and should now be resigned to history books.
Grumpy old man

Martian

« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2011, 09:04:42 »

The only time I've had any real issues with Win 7 has either been because of flaky hardware or poor driver support.
The other half's laptop randomly crashes the official Toshiba provided video driver (ATI), yet it will work quite happily all day long on the MS signed drivers.

Same goes for my current laptop (Toshiba Satellite R630-155). The only drivers available are for Win 7 64bit, and the Wi-Fi card (Broadcom Wireless N) cannot connect at any more than 72Mbps no matter what.
It's a known documented problem, but is only caused by poor drivers so MS can hardly be expected to shoulder the blame for that.

I'm currently customising my Win 7 install DVD.
So far I have all updates and SP1 integrated, all system drivers slipstreamed in, most of what I consider to be useless has been removed (eg, Games, DVD Maker, Media Player, etc), various registry tweaks applied (eg, add "God Mode" to the context menu).

I was up till gone 3am this morning playing with it bit by bit and running it up on a VM, and I'm probably going to waste the rest of today tweaking it some more (probably until I break it and have to start over  ;D ).

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2011, 20:23:19 »

Well at long bloody last I have win 7 working with SP1 installed. Taken god knows how many attempts changing something every time..

Eventually the "method" that worked ... 

Down load SP1 (from a drive running XP) and store it.
Disconnect all drives except the one on which I want Win 7
Install Win 7 from the DVD
Do NOT allow Win 7 to connect to Web, do NOT install ANY drivers for motherboard devices found by OS, do NOT install ANY software whatsoever .. even antivirus !!
Turn off UAC and User Intervention
Shut Win 7 down
Connect the drive that has SP1 on it
Start Win 7, install SP1
Once it finishes, do a final reboot
Can now install motherboard devices, instal AV, connect to internet and do windows updates.
System is now fully up-to-date and all I have to do is install all the programs .. :(

What a damned palavar .. :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 May 2011, 21:39:16 »

Or just rebuild from a Integrated SP1 disk, which is what I've been doing over the past few weeks.

Since Vista, its the only time I rebuild (service pack time), I don't believe in service packing an old machine that has had loads of patches already applied...
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 May 2011, 22:11:49 »

Or just rebuild from a Integrated SP1 disk, which is what I've been doing over the past few weeks.

Since Vista, its the only time I rebuild (service pack time), I don't believe in service packing an old machine that has had loads of patches already applied...

Unfortunately I don't have an integrated disk .... and, apparently, you can't make them yourself like you could with XP .... unless you know better ???  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 May 2011, 22:24:25 »

Unfortunately I don't have an integrated disk .... and, apparently, you can't make them yourself like you could with XP .... unless you know better ???  :)
Officially, its not possible...
Grumpy old man

Martian

« Reply #29 on: 22 May 2011, 06:58:36 »

Just finished making a slipstreamed DVD of 7 with SP1 included (both 32 & 64 bit), took around 30 mins to apply the service pack, and about 10 mins to remove all the crap (such as the games, Windows DVD Maker, Windows Media Player, etc).

Let me know which version of Win 7 you have, and I'll quite happily build you an ISO with SP1 integrated that you can download and burn back to disc yourself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.