Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: windows 7 updates  (Read 2044 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
windows 7 updates
« on: 20 April 2011, 20:26:25 »

Trying to run updates (manually), and getting the same problem all the time, no matter if I do a bunch together, or individual updates .. they appear to download ok.. but get to around 90% of instalation and then fail.

Not being a win 7 practioner .. (bring back XP the cry was heard) ...

1) Where are the downloaded update files stored prior to install ?? I'd like to try deleting to ensure a full new file is downloaded

2) The install "error" message is always "unknown error" ... MS solutions centre suggests a manual download/install which is what I thought I was doing !!!

3) Hard drive has plenty of room, over 40Gb free

4) SFC /scannow run ... no faults found

Any other ideas gratefully accepted .. :)
« Last Edit: 20 April 2011, 20:27:04 by entwood »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: windows 7 updates
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2011, 20:28:31 »

Has SP1 gone on nicely?
Grumpy old man

Mysteryman

« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2011, 20:32:21 »

Can't pretend I know much about such things Nige, but there might be something on this page, if you can find it:

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

Here are solutions to some common problems with installing updates.

Is there an easy way to fix my problem?
Possibly. You can run a troubleshooter that will automatically find and fix some common problems with Windows Update.

Click to open the Windows Update troubleshooter.

I tried to install updates but one or more didn't get installed.
Did you try the update again manually? There are some errors that are just a matter of bad timing, and they can be caused by busy websites, overworked Internet connections, or a number of other factors. These problems can sometimes be corrected by trying to update again. Here's how to check for updates manually:

Click to open Windows Update.

In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.

If updates are found, click Install updates.

Read and accept the license terms, and then click Finish if the update requires it.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note
Some updates might require that you restart your computer to finish installing. Save and close all your programs before restarting to prevent data loss.

Did you accept the Microsoft Software License Terms? Install the update again and review and accept the license terms.

Review any error messages.

If an error message about license terms or cancelled updates is displayed, click Try again, and wait until you are prompted to review the license terms.

Accept the license terms, and wait to see if the update is installed successfully.

Is there enough free disk space on your computer? If you need more free space on your hard disk, you might need to uninstall programs, delete your temporary Internet files, delete files that you don't use, or empty the Recycle Bin, and then try again to install updates.

Did you cancel the installation process or disconnect from the Internet? It's fine if you did. Just check for updates again and install any updates that were cancelled or interrupted.

Were you installing a driver update? Driver updates for devices such as video cards can occasionally cause errors because the files being installed are corrupt or aren't the correct files for your version of Windows. Windows Update should provide you with the most up-to-date drivers for your verison of Windows. However, if you have a problem installing device drivers from Windows Update, contact the manufacturer of the device. For more information, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly.

What else can I do? If the previous questions don't address the problem, you can learn more about what happened and what to do next by reviewing any error messages that are displayed in Windows Update.

If an error has occurred, an error code and a link to Help will be displayed. If there isn't a specific Help topic for that error, you can use the error code to search online for help.

How will I know what updates have been installed?
Windows Update keeps an update history so that you can check which updates were installed and when. For more information, see See which Windows updates are installed.

I keep being offered an update from Windows that I don’t want or that I already removed.
You can hide the update, and then Windows Update won't offer it to you again unless you choose to restore it. Here's how to hide an update:

Do one of the following:

Click the link that tells you important updates are available if you have important updates to hide.

Click the link that tells you optional updates are available if you have optional updates to hide.

Select any update that you want to hide, right-click it, and then click Hide update. Do this for each update you want to hide.

Click OK.

I hid an update and now I want to install it.
You need to restore the update to the list of updates that Windows can offer, and then install it. Here's how:

In the left pane, click Restore hidden updates.

Select the update that you want to install, and then click Restore.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Windows will automatically check for updates, and then prompt you to install the update that you restored as well as any new updates that might be available.

I restored hidden updates but I can’t find the one that I want to install.
This happens when a more recent update addresses the same problem as the update that you tried to restore. Windows will offer you the more recent update only.

My computer was turned off during a scheduled update.
When you start your computer after it has missed a scheduled update, it will check for updates. You can choose to install them immediately, or postpone them. If your computer is on during the next scheduled update, the updates will be installed. If new updates are ready to be installed, you can also install them before turning off your computer. When updates are waiting to be installed, you'll see a shield icon on the Windows Shut Down button .

I keep getting prompted to restart my computer to finish installing updates.
Some updates apply to files or services that Windows is using. These types of updates can't be installed while Windows is running so you should save your work, close any open programs, and then restart your computer to finish the update process.

I installed updates (or a driver update) and now one of my devices doesn't work.
There are several reasons why this might happen. If you purchased your computer with the device you are updating the driver for, you should first check with the computer manufacturer for a driver. Most computer manufacturers use

Mysteryman

« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2011, 20:33:31 »

Has SP1 gone on nicely?

Ah yes, forgot to mention that, I had to try three times for that one. While I was rather about, I somehow got IE9.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2011, 20:38:08 »

Has SP1 gone on nicely?

Nope .. that was the first one to fail ..  :(

STMO ...

Thanks for that .. done all those things .. pretty standard MS stuff for any of their OSs ..

The fact you say it took you 3 goes to get SP1 .... is a worry, i've tried 4/5 .. perhaps I need to keep at that .. :(
« Last Edit: 20 April 2011, 20:40:34 by entwood »

Mysteryman

« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2011, 20:39:41 »

Has SP1 gone on nicely?

Nope .. that was the first one to fail ..  :(

Like I said Nige, I had to try that one three times, but once it went on, the rest installed.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2011, 20:42:54 »

Get the Network install download for SP1 from MS, and try that on its own.
Grumpy old man

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2011, 20:44:00 »

Sounds suspiciously like the fun I was having with Pinky's laptop last night.
Installed 7, thought I'd save a bit of time by installing sp1 first.
SP1 install from disc failed then lappy started to run slower than a slow thing.
Pratted about for ages getting no sense out of the system then decided to say sod it and reinstalled 7.
The only differences were I had a network cable plugged in throughout the install and I let windows update do all the updates it wanted to including sp1.
Resulting system seems to run much better and is now updating as it should so maybe time to cut your losses and start again Nige.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2011, 20:44:05 »

Get the Network install download for SP1 from MS, and try that on its own.

Okies .. will try that .. thanks  :)
« Last Edit: 20 April 2011, 20:44:24 by entwood »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2011, 20:58:37 »

If reinstalling win7, I use win7 with sp1 integrated.  Vista and Win7 updates can be a right mare when they go wrong
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2011, 20:59:19 »

additionally, sometimes the AV silent blocks some file changes, might have to temp disable that
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2011, 20:59:29 »

Sounds suspiciously like the fun I was having with Pinky's laptop last night.
Installed 7, thought I'd save a bit of time by installing sp1 first.
SP1 install from disc failed then lappy started to run slower than a slow thing.
Pratted about for ages getting no sense out of the system then decided to say sod it and reinstalled 7.
The only differences were I had a network cable plugged in throughout the install and I let windows update do all the updates it wanted to including sp1.
Resulting system seems to run much better and is now updating as it should so maybe time to cut your losses and start again Nige.

A very good job you have done too Captain  :y  :-*

I was having mega stress with the thing, I hate computers and this flaming phone  :D
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2011, 21:00:45 »

If reinstalling win7, I use win7 with sp1 integrated.  Vista and Win7 updates can be a right mare when they go wrong

Can you "streamline" a win 7 install with the downloaded SP1 the same way you could with XP ?? I have been told you can't due to some security setup ??? Admittedly I've not searched t'web for the answer !!

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 April 2011, 21:00:58 »

I kept getting an error which was
80070017 I think that was it  :-?
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 April 2011, 21:03:47 »

Can you "streamline" a win 7 install with the downloaded SP1 the same way you could with XP ?? I have been told you can't due to some security setup ??? Admittedly I've not searched t'web for the answer !!
Whilst nothing is impossible, no, not officially.  MS release the media with integrated SP shortly after SP release. All Win7 media is basically the same, bar 1 file.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.