Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre wear and tramlining  (Read 5486 times)

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
Tyre wear and tramlining
« on: 15 December 2009, 16:17:43 »

Not sure if many have noticed the same but find as my tyres wear it gets worse. Still about 4mm left and due a new pair in the a few weeks after payday.

Just trying to think of which ones to go for this time may try Conti or brigestones

Thanks

Steve.
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

feeutfo

Re: Tyre wear and tramlining
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2009, 16:33:02 »

Cem talks highly of Bridgestone potenza, premium tyre and not sure of durabillity though.

Both myself and Kevin Wood are currently running conti sports contact 3. We both very happy it seems as are some other members on here but early days re tyre ware.

Dunlop seem to be fairly popular on the Omega despite the usual road noise that comes with them, although they have a new (ish?) model that claims to be quiet. Beleive it when i hear it. :-)
Covered in another post of mine in this section.

Allways takes a couple of k for the car set up to take its toll on  new tyres and their accuracy and seems to be down hill from there. Camber or uneven ware across the tread seems to be the killer afaict.

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 December 2009, 17:55:07 »

Thinking about one of the 2 Hope that a fresh pair with 8mm will make a good diffrents

was reading this a few year old but some good points. :y

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=37181
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 15 December 2009, 18:13:13 »

Thinking about one of the 2 Hope that a fresh pair with 8mm will make a good diffrents

was reading this a few year old but some good points. :y

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=37181
some good points yes, but the op in the link is comparing old bad handeling tyres with brand new, it will feel like a new car with most brands of new tyre fitted if the set up is ok.

But the advise is sound, check the car for suspension faults, get the set up adjusted if need be and then fit new tyres to get the best from them over their life span, with decent tyres you should be fine :)

going crazy

• Intermediate Member
  • Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2009, 21:52:30 »

Speaking of camber adjustments there is no other place like WIM - I was there last weekend and I was not charged a single dime for minor adjustments (before there in summer and paid for the usual price). Tony did work for 30mins and I was a happy customer who will return time and again :y :y 

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2009, 15:52:11 »

Not sure if many have noticed the same but find as my tyres wear it gets worse. Still about 4mm left and due a new pair in the a few weeks after payday.

Just trying to think of which ones to go for this time may try Conti or brigestones

Thanks

Steve.

I agree Steve, I've always had this with my Omega despite repeat visits to WIM. I've been told that wider tyres are a bit more prone to tramlining, and as I have 235/40/R17 on the front wheels it would certainly seem to be the case, but I have noticed a difference with different tyres. I found Falken FK-452's to be particularly bad, especially once they started wearing a bit. I currently have Bridgestone Potenza SO2's fitted on the front, and while they are far superior to the Falken's I still get a bit of tramlining once they start wearing. Think I've got quite used to it now! ::)
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2009, 16:25:41 »

Hi Bob

How you doing

Yer know what you mean. I have Brigestones  on the back which are good.Looks like the Chrismas gift to the car will be a new set of them or Conti as i have heard good things from Chris and Kevin .

Thanks

Steve. 

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2009, 17:01:31 »

Got conti's on my car, seem very very good  :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2009, 17:01:42 »

I can second the Conti's. Amazing set of tyres - quiteness and smootness is immediately apparent. :y

Not cheap though.

LJay

• Omega Baron
  • North Wales
  • The Acrobatics Queen!
    • 3.2 - MV6 Big Blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 December 2009, 18:14:19 »

I have had Toyo Proxies T1R's on my MV6 for about 6 weeks now.
They are a really grippy tyre, not had the back end out once. I'm not so keen on the ride, they give quite a lot of road noise. Absolutely no tramlining as yet, but, obviously too early to tell about wear rate!
I'm still not too sure how they perform in the dry though!!!! :(

I, so far, prefer them to the Sport Contact 3's that it had previously, they had very little grip and weren't particularly hard wearing! They were more fun for playing though!!! ::)
Been there, fallen over it!

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 December 2009, 18:32:33 »

They are a really grippy tyre, not had the back end out once. I'm not so keen on the ride, they give quite a lot of road noise. Absolutely no tramlining as yet, but, obviously too early to tell about wear rate!

I, so far, prefer them to the Sport Contact 3's that it had previously, they had very little grip and weren't particularly hard wearing! They were more fun for playing though!!! ::)
I hope you havent had your back end out l-jay. ;D ;D ;D
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

LJay

• Omega Baron
  • North Wales
  • The Acrobatics Queen!
    • 3.2 - MV6 Big Blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 December 2009, 18:45:03 »

I hope you havent had your back end out l-jay. ;D ;D ;D

Now that, would be telling!!! ;) :-X
Been there, fallen over it!

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2010, 20:54:32 »

Just swapped my four tyres for new and there is an instant difference to the handling and accuracy on the road-the tramlining has reduced massively too.

Removed 4x Federal SS535 225/55/16 V, fronts with 4mm, rears 2.5mm-this was done because I got a screw through one of the decent fronts which was too close to the edge to repair and the rears were almost out.  I kept the one 4mm tyre in case anyone needs it to make up a set.

I always keep a matching set of 4 tyres on the car and looked at the options.  I wanted Contis but cheapest was £380 for 4 fitted (cheapest supplier plus local fitter) so I looked around.

The identical Federals were £230 fitted as above, but they tramline spectacularly and I have read good things about (Chinese) Triangle Talons being ok as budget tyres so have had a punt at them

Cheapest was £168 delivered plus £10 per tyre fully fitted-£208, but that meant waiting for delivery while I had a slow puncture, so negotiated with local dealer who had them in stock and agreed on £220 for 4 fitted:- £55 each, including new valve, balancing with the decent stuck on weights and old tyre case disposal.

They have the rim protector style that I like and an attractive tread pattern and I have felt an instant grip difference, but will hold judgment until I have run them for a few months....

I wonder how well they will wear and what the grip will be like in various conditions?  Hmmmm.
Cheap enough, but good value?

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2010, 05:39:36 »

Just swapped my four tyres for new and there is an instant difference to the handling and accuracy on the road-the tramlining has reduced massively too.

Removed 4x Federal SS535 225/55/16 V, fronts with 4mm, rears 2.5mm-this was done because I got a screw through one of the decent fronts which was too close to the edge to repair and the rears were almost out.  I kept the one 4mm tyre in case anyone needs it to make up a set.

I always keep a matching set of 4 tyres on the car and looked at the options.  I wanted Contis but cheapest was £380 for 4 fitted (cheapest supplier plus local fitter) so I looked around.

The identical Federals were £230 fitted as above, but they tramline spectacularly and I have read good things about (Chinese) Triangle Talons being ok as budget tyres so have had a punt at them

Cheapest was £168 delivered plus £10 per tyre fully fitted-£208, but that meant waiting for delivery while I had a slow puncture, so negotiated with local dealer who had them in stock and agreed on £220 for 4 fitted:- £55 each, including new valve, balancing with the decent stuck on weights and old tyre case disposal.

They have the rim protector style that I like and an attractive tread pattern and I have felt an instant grip difference, but will hold judgment until I have run them for a few months....

I wonder how well they will wear and what the grip will be like in various conditions?  Hmmmm.
I'm dfraid to say i'm a bit of a tyre snob when it comes cheap tyres. I find fault with most top end boots and cant really see tyres in that price range being of use.

of course there is no such thing as an ideal tyre, if there where they would be free,last for ever,stick to the ceiling, track perfectly, be totally silent, and be as good on snow and as they are on tarmac. Never going to happen.

On the Omega, for me, its hard enough to get the car to behave on top range rubber with out adding in cheap tyre varibles. I would rather pay the extra and have decent tyres that wont anoy me too much fot the next year or so.

Having said that though, its always wise to keep an open mind to suggestions. So do let us know how you get on over their life. :y

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2010, 07:27:15 »

I'm dfraid to say i'm a bit of a tyre snob when it comes cheap tyres. I find fault with most top end boots and cant really see tyres in that price range being of use.

of course there is no such thing as an ideal tyre, if there where they would be free,last for ever,stick to the ceiling, track perfectly, be totally silent, and be as good on snow and as they are on tarmac. Never going to happen.

On the Omega, for me, its hard enough to get the car to behave on top range rubber with out adding in cheap tyre varibles. I would rather pay the extra and have decent tyres that wont anoy me too much fot the next year or so.

Having said that though, its always wise to keep an open mind to suggestions. So do let us know how you get on over their life. :y

Me too, Chris-but needs must and I have already noticed a big improvement.

One car mag commented that a cheap set at 8mm is better than a premium set at 3mm in most conditions-would love to see a test on that..!!  Our roads are wet and rural and I usually replace tyres when they hit 3 or 4mm.

These Talons grip like snow tyres as they are still very sharp and the road noise is low, but I will hold judgement until I see how handle in the dry and how well they wear.  I know its not important but they look great with decent rim protectors and attractive tread pattern-not like the awful Wanlis or other nasties. See:

http://www.triangletire.com/rad_car_specs_n.html mine are the TR918 type

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/225-55-16-TALON-99V-XL-2255516-225-55-16-4-NEW-TYRES_W0QQitemZ170426860606QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Tyres_RL?hash=item27ae3b843e

One point that may be relevant, though Chris-I often get punctures due to being on building sites or farmyards-usually screws near the sidewall and replacing a top-end tyre that can't be repaired is galling, a cheapie is more bearable....

I am really curious to see how these compare as I think the rubber is the main priority.....

I will update this or do a new thread as the miles go on  :y
« Last Edit: 10 January 2010, 07:29:09 by geoffharvey »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 17 queries.