Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2i Auto performance  (Read 1004 times)

omegadan2.2i

• Worksop, Notts
    • View Profile
2.2i Auto performance
« on: 21 June 2007, 22:14:41 »

Hi all :)

Owned my 2002 Meega 2.2i CD Auto Saloon for almost three months now and covered 6k (bought with 24k on clock, now reading 30k).

The 6k I have covered has been mixed mainly between town and country driving (as my 16 mile trip to work is) although I have not yet took it on a really long run to give it a good 'blow' out (that will come in a couple of weeks on our holiday trip down to the Isle of Wight).  After covering the mileage I have done and being driven in various situations/conditions, I must admit that I feel a bit disappointed with the overall performance.

I have never thought that the engine is particularly 'smooth' especially when cold, even after a good service with GM parts at 26k (including plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil etc), but just put that down to the 'characteristic' of 16v engines? (my previous cars have always been 8v).

For 144bhp, I don't feel that mine is very responsive and is certainly doesn't feel any faster than my previous 1993 Carlton 2.0i Auto (which had covered 150k and 'only' 115bhp with the C20NE lump), although it does have more torque than the Carlton.  Mid range is also lacking (even in 'sport' mode) which I have especially noticed when overtaking as I feel that more power is needed to get past quickly and safely.

Fuel consumption is also (I feel) disapppointing at an average of 23.8mpg  :( (consistently) which is worse than the Carlton was (which averaged 26.2mpg).

I have yet to clean out the DBW and breathers following AA's excellent guide which is going to be my next job - would I notice a difference from doing this perhaps??

Perhaps my expectations are too high or am I right to feel disappointed???

Not all bad though - at least it looks good and the AC 'climate control' is fantastic!! ;D

Dan

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2i Auto performance
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2007, 22:20:01 »

Cleaning the breathers and throttle etc should be considered as standard servicing, and done regular. It will make a difference.

However, the 2.2 will never be the fastest car, and the autobox saps what acceleration it did have.  The car is heavy, which means the 2.2 is a little underpowered imho...   ...and this has a bad effect on consumption.

Its a good cruiser though...
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2007, 22:30:48 »

I clean the breathers and throttle body every 6 months.

Oil/Filter changes every 3 months.

Spark plugs 10K

Air filter 10K.

Fuel filter 10K.

Keeps the car up to scratch and running at optimum performance.

As TheBoy says, it will never be a V6, but it's far easier to work on.

I like red cars

DaveL

• Omega Knight
  • Nr. Cupar, Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2007, 22:31:46 »

My 2.2 Omega auto did not perform any where near to my expectations. The car had been serviced from new by a local Vauxhall dealer and had all the stamps. First thing I found was one of the hand break shoes was binding. Freed that off. Cleaned out the breathers on the engine and change of oil. Engine a lot more responsive. Check that the plugs were not being swamped with oil from the rocker cover. Mine was, so took plugs out and redid the rocker cover seal. When I first got the car it averaged on a mixed run of 23.9 mpg.

On the last mot I had the upgrade done to the auto box software. This made the car respond better with quicker gear changes. After a long run, 1,500 miles, the car is now getting 34.6 mpg. I am not the slowest of drivers and will keep up to the speed limit when I can. My Omega will never be as quick as my old 2.6 Carlton but then I could easily get single figure mpg with that motor.

So get the breathers done and the software change then see what the car does. :y

DaveL

omegadan2.2i

• Worksop, Notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2007, 22:37:12 »

Cleaning the breathers and throttle etc should be considered as standard servicing, and done regular. It will make a difference.

However, the 2.2 will never be the fastest car, and the autobox saps what acceleration it did have.  The car is heavy, which means the 2.2 is a little underpowered imho...   ...and this has a bad effect on consumption.

Its a good cruiser though...

Yeah, you're right it is a heavy car - should have bought a V6 I think (bet fuel consumption is no worse than mine!)

Dan

omegadan2.2i

• Worksop, Notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2007, 22:43:51 »

My 2.2 Omega auto did not perform any where near to my expectations. The car had been serviced from new by a local Vauxhall dealer and had all the stamps. First thing I found was one of the hand break shoes was binding. Freed that off. Cleaned out the breathers on the engine and change of oil. Engine a lot more responsive. Check that the plugs were not being swamped with oil from the rocker cover. Mine was, so took plugs out and redid the rocker cover seal. When I first got the car it averaged on a mixed run of 23.9 mpg.

On the last mot I had the upgrade done to the auto box software. This made the car respond better with quicker gear changes. After a long run, 1,500 miles, the car is now getting 34.6 mpg. I am not the slowest of drivers and will keep up to the speed limit when I can. My Omega will never be as quick as my old 2.6 Carlton but then I could easily get single figure mpg with that motor.

So get the breathers done and the software change then see what the car does. :y

DaveL

Thanks DaveL - 34.6mpg is very impressive!!  Will get breathers and DBW throttle done this weekend - software update for autobox will have to wait until after holiday though... :(

Cheers

Dan

Martin_1962

« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2007, 09:42:28 »

I used to have the proper 2.0 Carlton (the high compression) and it was a lot faster off the line than any 2.0 Omega, so I can't see a 2.2 being quicker than a HC Carlton, would be borderline with the low compression.

The V6 is the engine which goes well.

omegadan2.2i

• Worksop, Notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 June 2007, 22:20:05 »

Well, did the breathers and DBW throttle valve last weekend and I must say it is MUCH better, smoother, more responsive and quieter!! ;D

The breathers were not bad, but the DBW throttle valve was caked in black s*** on the underside - couldn't believe how bad it was!!!  Anyway, nice and clean now!! ;D

Easy job thanks to the EXCELLENT 'how to' guide by AA!!!  The only 'fly' in the ointment was that when I was re-assembling, I discovered my 'new' throttle valve to inlet manifold gasket supplied by my local dealer was the WRONG one, so had to re-use the old one (will this be okay or should I still use a new one??)

Anyway, autobox upgrade will have to wait unit after holiday but interestingly I did enquire about this at my local dealer (Walkers of Worksop) and the 'technician' did not know what I was talking about and said 'are you having problems with it' which I replied 'well no but..' to which he replied 'well, we take the line if it ain't broke don't fix it' although he did say that IF an upgrade was available they would do it for an hour's labour charge (£50 + VAT).  

I will go and see 'The Boy' I think.......

Dan :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.