Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not for Jamie  (Read 1261 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Not for Jamie
« on: 17 October 2010, 18:27:53 »

My 'new' Astra has one of Sony's radios finest installed CDX-C 4850R but I want to put a GM radio back in.
How the bloody hell does the Sony unit come out. I've removed the bezel from around the front edge, I have a pair of radio removal keys - no idea whether they are the correct kind - but  having had a dig around at the left & right hand sides I can't find anything that might allow me to pull the bugger out.
Before I remove it with a hammer & chisel, can anyone shed any light on what might be at the side that I'm trying to get hold of?
Searching for 'Sony removal keys' shows all sorts of size & shape

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
Re: Not for Jamie
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2010, 18:48:36 »

Don't you have to remove the dashboard for that one ?

;D ;D ;D

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

feeutfo

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2010, 19:23:37 »

Any good?
http://www.fiatforum.com/i-c-e/110068-removing-sony-cdx-c4850r-99-sei-sporting.html

I found that too  ;D
All sorted now. I pushed the radio in enough to be able bend the cage's holding tabs straight, I pulled the cage out firts with pliers then removed the radio.  :y

CDR500 now fitted, which has given me the clock back & steering wheel controls. Curiously though  :-/ fitting a proper radio has cured the 'key-left-in-the-ignition-alarm. With the Sony, when you removed the ignition key, the buzzer would continue to buzz for another 5-ish secs, now the CDR is fitted, it works as it should.   :-?  :-?  :-?   :-/

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2010, 19:43:49 »

Any good?
http://www.fiatforum.com/i-c-e/110068-removing-sony-cdx-c4850r-99-sei-sporting.html

I found that too  ;D
All sorted now. I pushed the radio in enough to be able bend the cage's holding tabs straight, I pulled the cage out firts with pliers then removed the radio.  :y

CDR500 now fitted, which has given me the clock back & steering wheel controls. Curiously though  :-/ fitting a proper radio has cured the 'key-left-in-the-ignition-alarm. With the Sony, when you removed the ignition key, the buzzer would continue to buzz for another 5-ish secs, now the CDR is fitted, it works as it should.   :-?  :-?  :-?   :-/
Dave dnd reckons aftermarket head units can full fill any manufacturer requirement! I think manufacturers have seen his comments.   ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2010, 20:05:42 »

Dave dnd reckons aftermarket head units can full fill any manufacturer requirement! I think manufacturers have seen his comments.   ;)

I dare say they can if you're willing to spend a few quid. Most of the offerings in Halfords etc are aimed at kids & are full of flashing/scrolling displays with buttons so small you need child like fingers to operate them.

Martin_1962

« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2010, 20:14:30 »

On my 2.0 CD I replaced the CDR 500 with a Sony head unit and it was MUCH better sound quality.

BUT
Mine is an older one - pre chavved up

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2010, 21:06:23 »

On my 2.0 CD I replaced the CDR 500 with a Sony head unit and it was MUCH better sound quality.

BUT
A tin can manages to provide better sound than a cdr500.  Mind you, it never fails to amaze me how Sony have managed to do such a poor job of sound quality on car radios.

Remember, I've heard yours, complete with its annoying 12 bleeps everytime the ign goes off ;)
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2010, 23:14:38 »

BUT
A tin can manages to provide better sound than a cdr500.  Mind you, it never fails to amaze me how Sony have managed to do such a poor job of sound quality on car radios.

Remember, I've heard yours, complete with its annoying 12 bleeps everytime the ign goes off ;)

I have a Freecycle Mac Audio amp and some Infinity speakers though as well, oh and mine is an old one, bought it at a similar period to our first DVD player
« Last Edit: 17 October 2010, 23:15:31 by Martin_1962 »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2010, 23:30:30 »

A tin can manages to provide better sound than a cdr500.   ......

That's OK then, it's been fitted in a tin can Astra G  :y  :y  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 17 queries.