Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody Know anything about Astras?  (Read 880 times)

wingman

• Intermediate Member
  • Hastings
    • Grandland GS
    • View Profile
Anybody Know anything about Astras?
« on: 14 November 2010, 16:00:06 »

Son in law and daughter have recently aquired an 03 plate 1.6Sxi Astra and I have got a couple of queries regarding it.

First is the cambelt interval. I am unsure from both the handbook and what I have read elsewhere whether with these engines the interval is 40k or 60k. According to the service history belt was changed at 57k which seems to indicate a 60k interval. Can anyone confirm?

Second is related to oil consumption which seems a little on the high side for a 59k engine. Doesn't appear to smoke but I seem to recall that one of the members on this forum (JamesV6Elite?????) had an Astra after a con rod invented a new form of crankcase ventilation on his V6 Omega after an engine rebuild. The Astra that he had also had high oil consumption and I seem think that this turned out to be valve stem oil seals. Am I correct in this??

Grateful for any info from forum members

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody Know anything about Astras?
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2010, 17:17:21 »

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?83-Astra-Corsa-Zafira-Meriva-Agila-Tigra-amp-Nova-Includes-Combo-Van

This VX site is ok for Astra advice - 40k is the safest change period or 4 years whichever first  - at least I think it was 40k on the pre 2002s
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Welung666

« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2010, 19:54:26 »

I always use the 40k/4 years rule on all Vx cars and do the waterpump at the same time :y

Get someone to blip the throttle while you watch the zorst, if the valve seals are leaking oil you'll see a quick puff of blue/grey smoke.

wingman

• Intermediate Member
  • Hastings
    • Grandland GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2010, 20:37:36 »

Cheers wellung will try that tomorrow.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2010, 21:03:09 »

60K is no worries on those units TBH

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2010, 21:04:18 »

We've got a 53 1.6 Astra with about 56k miles and thats got a high oil consumption. Also it clogs up No.2 plug after a few thousand miles. It doesn't appear to smoke at all. I'm assuming maybe the valve stem seals.

If you read the handbook I think the oil consumption in there appears to be high. 1Ltr per 1K miles I think ?

The other pain is the ECU is bolted to the end of the intake manifold and they fail regularly. Presumably due to heat and vibration. I did think about moving it away from the engine.

If you change the cambelt then change the thermostat as they fail very regularly and the cambelt has to come off to do it. Or you can fit an inline stat in the top hose. Which I've done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.