Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wandering car ?  (Read 1305 times)

sujole

• Hemel Hempstead
    • View Profile
Wandering car ?
« on: 22 February 2011, 14:44:37 »

I've just changed my wheels from the standard Elite to oxigin 1. The wheels themselves look terrific but they came with Avon ZZ3 tyres which had done less than 2000 miles. The problem I have is that one of the tyres had a slightly worn outside edge and the car now tramlines like a goodun. Before the change the car drove in a dead straight line no matter what the road surface. I currently have the worn one on the nearside front. My question is, would moving the wheel to the nearside rear (they are directional) be the best bet or should I change the tyre. I can't afford to replace all 4 which is what I would have like to have done.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Wandering car ?
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2011, 14:46:56 »

In an ideal world you'd change all 4 but I would either replace that one or try it on the rear. Unfortunately, once the tyres are starting to wear unevenly there isn't a lot you can do with them.

I assume the wheels are the correct fitment for the car?
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2011, 14:48:22 »

are the new alloys and tyres the same size as the ones you've removed?

My bora recently had 18" alloys on with 225 wide, low profile tyres, and it tramlined all over the place
now its on 205 wide tyres on 16" alloys and drives fantastic

sujole

• Hemel Hempstead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2011, 14:50:48 »

The wheels are the correct fitment with spigot rings and the tyres are the correct 235/45 17 size. I think I'll try the move the wheel route as suggested.

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2011, 22:13:26 »

I've just changed my wheels from the standard Elite to oxigin 1. The wheels themselves look terrific but they came with Avon ZZ3 tyres which had done less than 2000 miles. The problem I have is that one of the tyres had a slightly worn outside edge and the car now tramlines like a goodun. Before the change the car drove in a dead straight line no matter what the road surface. I currently have the worn one on the nearside front. My question is, would moving the wheel to the nearside rear (they are directional) be the best bet or should I change the tyre. I can't afford to replace all 4 which is what I would have like to have done.
I think Lee marvin was born under a wandering car :P

mkirky

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2011, 22:17:17 »

try it on the rear its your best bet

sujole

• Hemel Hempstead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2011, 08:59:39 »

I think Lee marvin was born under a wandering car :P
LOL  :D

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2011, 10:20:52 »

I've changed the front Tyres on my Beemer, they had worn edged Avon ZZ3's on, that tranlined liked there was no tomorrow, the new Tyres have sorted it though  :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2011, 13:35:42 »

I've changed the front Tyres on my Beemer, they had worn edged Avon ZZ3's on, that tranlined liked there was no tomorrow, the new Tyres have sorted it though  :y
Usual thing apllies Del, imo. Find the fault or the new set will go the same way. Omegas have wishbones, Beemers have lower control arms and or brake reaction arms iirc. Bushes there in will be worn as i believe camber is either set, or self adjuting? Unless they have changed it on newer models.  :-/
Might be worth a call to allgermanparts....?

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2011, 13:58:54 »

Usual thing apllies Del, imo. Find the fault or the new set will go the same way. Omegas have wishbones, Beemers have lower control arms and or brake reaction arms iirc. Bushes there in will be worn as i believe camber is either set, or self adjuting? Unless they have changed it on newer models.  :-/
Might be worth a call to allgermanparts....?

All sorted now, bloke couldn't find nothing lose underneath, but he done a full alignment which he says has sorted it. Does feel totally different now.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2011, 14:00:36 by LSG_1 »
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.