Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG tank sizes  (Read 8708 times)

feeutfo

Re: LPG tank sizes
« Reply #105 on: 06 March 2011, 09:41:59 »

How tough are those plastic boxs on the tank? I mean stuff sliding about in the boot could brake that by the looks?

Can i have a metal box please Dad ?  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 06 March 2011, 09:42:53 »

What capacity does 80l give? Less range than the petrol tank in effect?
Mine fills to 65l, as expected. This equates to approx 14.5 gallons.

Now, as its a criminal sin to run on petrol, I never run dry, but I average 19.5mpg, so 19.5mpg x 14.5gln = 282.75 range (which fits in with when I have run out).

Not taking into account the cost of carrying the extra weight, a 90l will give another 8l, so 34 extra miles at my mpg. 100l would give a further 34miles.

So to get similar range (350 seems to be a ballpark range from a 3/3.2 on petrol (though probably driven easier than LPG cars ::))) needs 100l tank (which fills to 80l, as LPG tanks can only be filled to 80% capacity)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 06 March 2011, 09:46:03 »

How tough are those plastic boxs on the tank? I mean stuff sliding about in the boot could brake that by the looks?

The 4 hole ones appear to come with a metal cover over the valvegear. No sure if this is always the case, or just coincidence of the ones I've seen.

My MV6 has a plastic box. If I'm honest, I don't find it a problem, by I reckon being too heavy handed could damage it,
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #108 on: 06 March 2011, 10:02:24 »

Now, as its a criminal sin to run on petrol, I never run dry, but I average 19.5mpg, so 19.5mpg x 14.5gln = 282.75 range (which fits in with when I have run out).

Not taking into account the cost of carrying the extra weight, a 90l will give another 8l, so 34 extra miles at my mpg. 100l would give a further 34miles.

So to get similar range (350 seems to be a ballpark range from a 3/3.2 on petrol (though probably driven easier than LPG cars ::))) needs 100l tank (which fills to 80l, as LPG tanks can only be filled to 80% capacity)
Never had 300 miles out of a tank on my commute  :-? It probably would do 320 but it would run dry so need to fill up.
So 280 miles at your mpg would give 6 return trips to work. So should last a week for me. Another 68 miles would give another 3 one way trips for me. So woukd fill up at the weekend anyway perhaps.  :-/

So if i went cylinder, 80l would do. That bose shelf will have to go though.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 06 March 2011, 10:03:57 »

The 4 hole ones appear to come with a metal cover over the valvegear. No sure if this is always the case, or just coincidence of the ones I've seen.

My MV6 has a plastic box. If I'm honest, I don't find it a problem, by I reckon being too heavy handed could damage it,

you'd surely never be heavy handed though  ::)
« Last Edit: 06 March 2011, 10:04:07 by jimbob »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 06 March 2011, 10:12:40 »

Never had 300 miles out of a tank on my commute  :-? It probably would do 320 but it would run dry so need to fill up.
So 280 miles at your mpg would give 6 return trips to work. So should last a week for me. Another 68 miles would give another 3 one way trips for me. So woukd fill up at the weekend anyway perhaps.  :-/

Haven't used the Elite enough to get a decent record of range, but the MV6 used to manage between 340 - 360 before the botty clenching started about fuel gauge position, and would normally take 67-70l.  On a (sedate - constant 85mph) run, I have had 500m from a tank in the MV6 on petrol.

I'm not convinced that the 3.2 manages same MPG was the 3.0.

You know what you get on LPG (from your previous car), so work on 65l (80l tank), 73l (90l tank) and 80l (100l tank)
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 06 March 2011, 10:49:15 »

80L will fit under the Bose shelf no problems... 100L will fit under it too, although for ease of fitting you'd need to pull it out and then re-fit. 80L, 360mm Dia tanks, Teilo reckons he can be competitive ;)

AFAIK all 4 hole tanks have the metal Gas tight box like mine (and KW's) and all single hole tanks end up with a plastic effort ;)

80L tank frame lines up nicely with the Chassis rails whereas a 100L will need lots of measurement ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 06 March 2011, 16:58:12 »

Additional thought ... I changed the rear shockers with the tank in situ .. and only JUST enough room to wield the tools ... I'd not like to have tried it if the tank was any tighter to the turrets .. :(

I know the shocks aren't changed often .. but perhaps worth a thought ??

:)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 06 March 2011, 19:00:17 »

Additional thought ... I changed the rear shockers with the tank in situ .. and only JUST enough room to wield the tools ... I'd not like to have tried it if the tank was any tighter to the turrets .. :(

I know the shocks aren't changed often .. but perhaps worth a thought ??

:)

The thought had crossed my mind but figure that "Where there's a will there's a way" ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #114 on: 06 March 2011, 21:55:30 »

Haven't used the Elite enough to get a decent record of range, but the MV6 used to manage between 340 - 360 before the botty clenching started about fuel gauge position, and would normally take 67-70l.  On a (sedate - constant 85mph) run, I have had 500m from a tank in the MV6 on petrol.

Damn it would be nice if (my) 3.2 did that - it'd be positively frugal! ~250 till the light is on with my daily commute, and ~375 on a 70mph motorway run.

I really should look into that  ;D (no, I didn't manage to find my diag tool this weekend, Chris, before you ask  ;D)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 06 March 2011, 22:22:56 »

Damn it would be nice if (my) 3.2 did that - it'd be positively frugal! ~250 till the light is on with my daily commute, and ~375 on a 70mph motorway run.

I really should look into that  ;D (no, I didn't manage to find my diag tool this weekend, Chris, before you ask  ;D)

Same sort of figures I get .... don't know how TB gets as much as he does ... although the MV6 is a 3 ltr MFL I think .. perhaps the 3.2 FL has different weight & aerodynamics ?? :(
« Last Edit: 06 March 2011, 22:24:16 by entwood »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 06 March 2011, 22:28:20 »

Same sort of figures I get .... don't know how TB gets as much as he does ... although the MV6 is a 3 ltr MFL I think .. perhaps the 3.2 FL has different weight & aerodynamics ?? :(

Interesting... When I picked mine up from St Helens I drove home at an indicated 70mph (235 miles) and the confuser said "Range 252"... Think I did slightly more than that :-/

Mine managed 380 miles/tank on LPG driving down and back from Italy with cruise set somewhere between an indicated 85mph and somewhere into 3 figures :-X ::)

aaronjb

« Reply #117 on: 06 March 2011, 22:39:12 »

I thought TB had a reputation for driving everywhere like he was taking part in LeMans .. maybe it's all smoke and mirrors and really he has half a brick under the accelerator pedal and drives like he's driving miss daisy? ;)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 06 March 2011, 22:46:53 »

I thought TB had a reputation for driving everywhere like he was taking part in LeMans .. maybe it's all smoke and mirrors and really he has half a brick under the accelerator pedal and drives like he's driving miss daisy? ;)

I can assure you his reputation is well earned ;) ;)

But, by a steady cruise I expect he means straight out of fuel station onto motorway with the cruise set for the duration of the tank ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 06 March 2011, 22:50:00 »

TB works in IT, like most things electronic its either on or off. Same goes when he applies the throttle and brakes, either on or off, nothing in the middle  ::)  ;D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 17 queries.