Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Induction kits.  (Read 2195 times)

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Induction kits.
« Reply #15 on: 22 June 2011, 22:45:41 »

Agreed... On some cars they can work, if fitted correctly with the cold air feed.
Evening Paul. How are you?

Not too bad thanks Guy... Counting down to hospital next week ::) :y
Having your glass-back double glazed LF? ;D ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2011, 22:47:26 »

Agreed... On some cars they can work, if fitted correctly with the cold air feed.

2 small round spherical objects, usually found between gentlemen's legs ::) :D

Yep... Hopefully getting it sorted :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 June 2011, 22:49:20 »

2 small round spherical objects, usually found between gentlemen's legs ::) :D

Yep... Hopefully getting it sorted :y

Don't you just love the friendly support offered to members on here....... :D :D :D

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 June 2011, 22:50:04 »

Amigo, I dont know the MX5 as I've never owned one.

It may be the case that it is one of those cars which will benefit from a Aftermarket Induction Kit.

Could you explain exactly what you have fitted and how? I take it you havent just removed the factory fitted air filter and put a 'cone' in it's place?  Any cold feeds etc?

When was the last OE panel replaced?  Was it in great/good/fair/poor condition?

As in my original post on this thread, I'm not saying they DONT work, I'm saying they dont work as well as the packet says in a lot of applications, and they definitely dont work without serious modification underneath the bonnet of a V6 Omega!  :y
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 22 June 2011, 23:38:42 »

? We're not surprised one make/model car behaves differently to another... are we? ....surely?

I mean how many tyre places know about camber? Much less camber on an omega?

How many garages have pegged an omega butterfly not knowing the icv is fooked?

How many head gaskets do we get diagnosed faulty when the hbv has failed?

And, dare I say it, his many eejits do we get on here claiming cone filters increase power on the omega when the just plainly do not. "A fool and his money" ... Ya mite say... Hmm? ::) 

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 June 2011, 15:52:39 »

A good induction can change some cars, though never seen an improvement to Omegas.

The Black Beastie has reverted to the standard setup to try to get some of the lost power back.  I have another spin in it today, but TheDaddy wouldn't let me turn traction control off, and it caught every single attempt for me to 'have myself some fun' ;D
I accept duccie kits on V6 Migs sound the part but that's about it which is why i sold her with the standard airbox. Hope she's doing Tony well & he's keeping her clean..i know where he lives...i should've disabled the TC button!" :y
He is enjoying the car. As am I when he leaves the keys unattended on his desk ;D
Grumpy old man

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 June 2011, 19:28:11 »

It may be the case that it is one of those cars which will benefit from a Aftermarket Induction Kit.

Could you explain exactly what you have fitted and how? I take it you havent just removed the factory fitted air filter and put a 'cone' in it's place?  Any cold feeds etc?

As in my original post on this thread, I'm not saying they DONT work, I'm saying they dont work as well as the packet says in a lot of applications, and they definitely dont work without serious modification underneath the bonnet of a V6 Omega!  :y
Grated they sound good on the VX V6 but do precious little else. Only changed the filters lastnight, cold air feed has been fitted in my absence today as i'm trucksleeping again! Manifold heat shield is in place, never had one with the pipercross on the V6 or cold air feed, so doing it properly this time. 8-)
Curry makes the world go round!

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 June 2011, 19:30:16 »

A good induction can change some cars, though never seen an improvement to Omegas.

The Black Beastie has reverted to the standard setup to try to get some of the lost power back.  I have another spin in it today, but TheDaddy wouldn't let me turn traction control off, and it caught every single attempt for me to 'have myself some fun' ;D
I accept duccie kits on V6 Migs sound the part but that's about it which is why i sold her with the standard airbox. Hope she's doing Tony well & he's keeping her clean..i know where he lives...i should've disabled the TC button!" :y
He is enjoying the car. As am I when he leaves the keys unattended on his desk ;D
Stop twoc-ing "MY" car. You know you want a manual really!!! 8-)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 June 2011, 19:35:50 »

Grated they sound good on the VX V6 but do precious little else. Only changed the filters lastnight, cold air feed has been fitted in my absence today as i'm trucksleeping again! Manifold heat shield is in place, never had one with the pipercross on the V6 or cold air feed, so doing it properly this time. 8-)
It showed to be honest - but its proving to be a nice little test ground for TheDaddy and I :y

Few other bits and pieces that aren't quite right. I have my theories.  I reckon its gonna be a right little screamer once we're done :y

I think TheDaddy is going to pop some new front pads on before we get too much performance from it though, as those pattern ones aren't up to the abuse ::)

I'm quite enjoying sorting these (minor) snags out, and I think TheDaddy is to, as he makes it 'his' :y
Grumpy old man

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 June 2011, 21:22:52 »

TBH ,from what Ive read, even the better induction kits such as pipercross or bmc dont really up your bhp much. Sure, theyre better than the k+n ones (which seem to make the right sound but little else), but if you want value for money in terms of cash outlay v increased performance, a good chip and rolling-road tune up is probably the way to go. When I had the prelude I had the sports exhaust, the bmc cold feed CDA induction kit , magnecor leads and irridium plugs but it was the dastek unichip that gave the greatest increase . The bhp went up to 200 with a 0-60 of around 6 secs. Not bad for an autobox and a reasonably heavy car. I had the vtec cutin lowered to about 3000 revs. and all with no loss in mpg.Obviously all cars are different though and you can easily spend a lot of money with very little gain from it. I should imagine the mx5 based purely on its power/weight ratio is nippy enough to start with. Certainly you always seem to hear good things about their road handling/driving experience too. Guess you dont run a model this long without it being half decent ;D (just a tad small for my liking/bulk though ;D)

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 June 2011, 20:16:54 »

TBH ,from what Ive read, even the better induction kits such as pipercross or bmc dont really up your bhp much. Sure, theyre better than the k+n ones (which seem to make the right sound but little else), but if you want value for money in terms of cash outlay v increased performance, a good chip and rolling-road tune up is probably the way to go. When I had the prelude I had the sports exhaust, the bmc cold feed CDA induction kit , magnecor leads and irridium plugs but it was the dastek unichip that gave the greatest increase . The bhp went up to 200 with a 0-60 of around 6 secs. Not bad for an autobox and a reasonably heavy car. I had the vtec cutin lowered to about 3000 revs. and all with no loss in mpg.Obviously all cars are different though and you can easily spend a lot of money with very little gain from it. I should imagine the mx5 based purely on its power/weight ratio is nippy enough to start with. Certainly you always seem to hear good things about their road handling/driving experience too. Guess you dont run a model this long without it being half decent ;D (just a tad small for my liking/bulk though ;D)
Interesting. I paid £70 for the Omega Pipercross 5 years ago (it's been on two cars) with no cold air feed. It sounded great but that was it. The K&N for the 1800MX5 was £62 with cold air feed inc. P&P. Power seller deal, sounds nice but not as good as the Mig but REALLY does wake her up & 4rpm....you do have oil clean them as well.

Must be the difference in certain cars. There are some models of Astra that you can but kits for but will hardly run at all with them.

I profess to know nothing of the technical side, i'm a rough lad & like the noise...grin factor!

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 June 2011, 20:23:26 »

It showed to be honest - but its proving to be a nice little test ground for TheDaddy and I :y

Few other bits and pieces that aren't quite right. I have my theories.  I reckon its gonna be a right little screamer once we're done :y

I think TheDaddy is going to pop some new front pads on before we get too much performance from it though, as those pattern ones aren't up to the abuse ::)

I'm quite enjoying sorting these (minor) snags out, and I think TheDaddy is to, as he makes it 'his' :y
Yeah the front pads were ordered last minute & are a bit cack. I know how you feel about the duccie kit, fair go. What else are you doing? Are you keeping the exhaust?

Keep me posted as she's still MY car really!!!! 8-)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 June 2011, 21:34:01 »

I reckon its got multiram issues, judging by power delivery. Well, first place to look, anyway.
Grumpy old man

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 June 2011, 21:43:46 »

I reckon its got multiram issues, judging by power delivery. Well, first place to look, anyway.
Oh. Did'nt knoiw about that. They have been cleaned since i had the car. If there was a power loss it must have been gradual as i did'nt notice. She stull pulled well!

feeutfo

« Reply #29 on: 25 June 2011, 09:12:15 »

As I recall, it was down on power at the rolling road day Guy. Although as for the reasons...  :-/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.