Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vista or XP???  (Read 4056 times)

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
Vista or XP???
« on: 11 July 2007, 19:46:02 »

Hello everyone, just got a new laptop after the old one was written off by the insurance company ( a toshiba friday afternoon special :-?). Any way the new one is running Vista, some people I have spoken to say that Vista is over complicated, opinions please which is best and why?
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Vista or XP???
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2007, 19:49:05 »

Hello everyone, just got a new laptop after the old one was written off by the insurance company ( a toshiba friday afternoon special :-?). Any way the new one is running Vista, some people I have spoken to say that Vista is over complicated, opinions please which is best and why?
Avoid Vista if at all possible, but many new laptops don't have drivers for XP.  >:(
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2007, 19:50:30 »

It's all the security warnings that puts me off Vista.....
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2007, 19:53:39 »

Nought wrong with Vista if the hardware is powerful enough to run it.  Takes a bit of getting used to, but then you actually find XP hard work when you go back to it.
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2007, 19:58:44 »

Nought wrong with Vista if the hardware is powerful enough to run it.  Takes a bit of getting used to, but then you actually find XP hard work when you go back to it.
Nothing works on Vista.  Can't get drivers.  Can't set security so that programs will run.  Can't run anything pre-.NET.  If you want to do anything other than Office and IE you're hosed.  Even stuff like the scroll wheel on a mouse doesn't work with Outlook.

Many people I know are switching to MacBooks with OSX and XP on bootcamp.  As stable and robust as IBM but a lot cheaper.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2007, 20:21:32 »

Nothing works on Vista.  Can't get drivers.  Can't set security so that programs will run.  Can't run anything pre-.NET.  If you want to do anything other than Office and IE you're hosed.  Even stuff like the scroll wheel on a mouse doesn't work with Outlook.

Many people I know are switching to MacBooks with OSX and XP on bootcamp.  As stable and robust as IBM but a lot cheaper.
I've found very little software that doesn't run, and for a new OS, current driver support is excellent (though still behind XP), and improving all the time.
Grumpy old man

hol666

• Lechlade, Gloucestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2007, 20:39:47 »

Got to agree with TB here, vista does take some getting used to and you can turn off the nag messages but then it nags you about that?? ;)

Have to say that now I'm used to it, prefer vista to xp.  Got for free anyway under the free upgrade offer when I got my new laptop, not sure I'd pay
full whack for it though.

Yeah, driver can be a bit of a pain, but remember when xp first came out?  Nowhere near as bad as then!

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2007, 21:24:43 »

God I can't stand Vista!  >:(

It came on the very nice, and very powerful "laptop" that PC world gave me to apologise....

Now this is a seriosu piece of kit with 2gig of ram for starters!
Vista is horribly bloated, takes an eternity to bl**dy load and shut down, has a convoluted way of doing things, has IE7  >:( >:( and is really not happy with Videostudio software!

I will probably set up a dual boot system with XP to save my sanity!

As far as I am aware, the only laptops you can still buy new with XP are Dell ones.
Sorry, but Vista is a long way from being a decent replacemnt to XP right now....
The Administrator.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2007, 21:30:14 »

God I can't stand Vista!  >:(

It came on the very nice, and very powerful "laptop" that PC world gave me to apologise....

Now this is a seriosu piece of kit with 2gig of ram for starters!
Vista is horribly bloated, takes an eternity to bl**dy load and shut down, has a convoluted way of doing things, has IE7  >:( >:( and is really not happy with Videostudio software!

I will probably set up a dual boot system with XP to save my sanity!

As far as I am aware, the only laptops you can still buy new with XP are Dell ones.
Sorry, but Vista is a long way from being a decent replacemnt to XP right now....
I am surprised its slow.  Maybe the specs of the laptop are not what we expect off a modern machine.  Any Core2 Duo, 2Gb RAM fast 5400 spin HDD and discrete VGA should run Vista very well.

Granted, Vista will likely be slower than XP on same hardware, in same way XP slower than W2K, itself slower than NT4 etc...
Grumpy old man

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2007, 22:05:09 »

I bought a vista powered lappy for work in March, hated it....

Sent it back and replaced all my IT kit with Mac...best move i ever made  :y

Beautiful, quick, quiet, easy to use and so user friendly, i don't know that i would go back to the PC again........

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 July 2007, 22:13:20 »

I bought a vista powered lappy for work in March, hated it....

Sent it back and replaced all my IT kit with Mac...best move i ever made  :y

Beautiful, quick, quiet, easy to use and so user friendly, i don't know that i would go back to the PC again........
There are a few good PC laptops out there, but the Mac's are at least as good and a good price.  Had my Mini for over a year now and it's great.  Now if they'd only come out with a 12" widescreen Macbook at 2 kilos . . . .

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2007, 09:06:12 »

vista has a few problems with some programmes, ive got a number of them that conflict and have to try and get a solution from the microsoft website. stick to xp
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 July 2007, 09:12:42 »

vista has a few problems with some programmes, ive got a number of them that conflict and have to try and get a solution from the microsoft website. stick to xp
Actually, according to the developers site, any program that obeyed the recent (last 5yrs) recommended rules for Windows development will run fine under Windows Vista.

There are a few older ones that are a bit naughty with registry, or use kernel mode, that may not work too well. Ones that directly manipulate hardware, inc COM ports, may struggle (cheapo tech2 lead may not work).

But virtually all of fairly recent apps should be no problem.
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 July 2007, 09:47:29 »

Actually, according to the developers site, any program that obeyed the recent (last 5yrs) recommended rules for Windows development will run fine under Windows Vista.

There are a few older ones that are a bit naughty with registry, or use kernel mode, that may not work too well. Ones that directly manipulate hardware, inc COM ports, may struggle (cheapo tech2 lead may not work).

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.  Good luck getting anything installed that uses the USB port and isn't mainstream.  I'd be surprised if your real Tech2 works, it's not just the cheapo stuff that is a problem.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 July 2007, 12:46:04 »

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.  Good luck getting anything installed that uses the USB port and isn't mainstream.  I'd be surprised if your real Tech2 works, it's not just the cheapo stuff that is a problem.

Tech2 works fine if proper com port. No usb to serial adpter works with vista, as neither driver maker has released an update.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.