Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Merc 320 CLK auto gearbox problem  (Read 1333 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Merc 320 CLK auto gearbox problem
« on: 06 August 2011, 16:53:25 »

My next door neighbour bought the car from our local stealers, just over 3 months ago, so the warranty has just run out!  >:(

They had just done about 40 miles of motorway driving and driven into the destination town, where they were going to a wedding, when there was a whirling noise from the gearbox and it was stuck in top gear.

They used their breakdown cover to get them home on the back of a truck.  ::)

Looking in the manual that comes with the car, first problem I found was that ever since having the car they had it switched in winter mode. :o :o :o  :D :D :D A case of Please read the manual.

The manual also said that if there is a problem and the gearbox goes into limp mode it will stay in the gear that is currently selected. To reset this turn off engine for a minimum of 30 seconds, turn the ignition on for at least 10 seconds to reset the system and then start the car, to get you to your destination, and then get a Merc stealer to check the system. I went through the reset procedure, there was no EML on, so I took the car round the block and it drove perfectly. :o :o  :o :D :D :D

Now I think the problem may have been caused where the car is only normally used for short runs and this long run has exposed a problem. My advice to them was as the car has done 96000, the gearbox has probably never been serviced, the oil level maybe low, so get that done and then see if there are any further problems. Reminding them that oil is much cheaper than bearings!  :D :D :D

I would appreciate any further advice that I can pass on to them  :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Merc 320 CLK auto gearbox problem
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2011, 17:30:25 »

7 speed auto?
I've no idea what year of car or what the problems are exactly, but there seems to be quite a few problems mentioned on the interent of Merc 7 speed auto 'boxes  :-/ :-/
Google search

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2011, 17:59:30 »

My next door neighbour bought the car from our local stealers, just over 3 months ago, so the warranty has just run out!  >:(

They had just done about 40 miles of motorway driving and driven into the destination town, where they were going to a wedding, when there was a whirling noise from the gearbox and it was stuck in top gear.

They used their breakdown cover to get them home on the back of a truck.  ::)

Looking in the manual that comes with the car, first problem I found was that ever since having the car they had it switched in winter mode. :o :o :o  :D :D :D A case of Please read the manual.

The manual also said that if there is a problem and the gearbox goes into limp mode it will stay in the gear that is currently selected. To reset this turn off engine for a minimum of 30 seconds, turn the ignition on for at least 10 seconds to reset the system and then start the car, to get you to your destination, and then get a Merc stealer to check the system. I went through the reset procedure, there was no EML on, so I took the car round the block and it drove perfectly. :o :o  :o :D :D :D

Now I think the problem may have been caused where the car is only normally used for short runs and this long run has exposed a problem. My advice to them was as the car has done 96000, the gearbox has probably never been serviced, the oil level maybe low, so get that done and then see if there are any further problems. Reminding them that oil is much cheaper than bearings!  :D :D :D

Stuck in winter mode... What... Permanently....? Since owning the car?.... All the time?.... Everywhere?

Firing squad i rekon.... Readyaimfar!  ;D
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65SjqV1tJLk&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2011, 19:07:15 »

if that been in winter mde permenantly since they bought it, will be very surprised if there isnt any damage!!

having said that merc autoboxs are pretty tuff stuff, most problems come from the electronic side of thigs as the computer actually lives in the sump!!!

at the very least i would book it n immediately for a fluid and filter change and ask to see the old filters and fluid,
no level plug on these so you really should go to a merc dealer to have it done properly, they have all the diagnostic equipment to sort it, expensive i know, but who would run around in winter mode for all this time without checking? doh ::)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2011, 19:08:08 »

2002 model 4 speed box.

Stealer salesman told him "W" was normal mode and "S" was sport.  :o :o :o :D :D :D It starts off in 2nd in winter mode, so I guess as it is most powerful car he has owned he never noticed  :D :D :D

I think it is fair to say when it comes to brightness, my neighbour is more at the 0.5w torch bulb end of the scale than a 500w floodlamp.  ;D ;D ;D If the firing squad shot him in the head it would implode  ;D ;D ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2011, 01:11:27 »

Car manufacturers, designers and engineers spend £billions trying to make cars foolproof......

I think this is a classic example showing that the fools are still winning  ::) :o :D

;D ;D ;D ;D

mahony

• Intermediate Member
  • london
    • omega elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2011, 10:40:29 »

Good idea to start with a autobox oil/filter change  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2011, 11:32:32 »

2002 model 4 speed box.

Stealer salesman told him "W" was normal mode and "S" was sport.  :o :o :o :D :D :D It starts off in 2nd in winter mode, so I guess as it is most powerful car he has owned he never noticed  :D :D :D

I think it is fair to say when it comes to brightness, my neighbour is more at the 0.5w torch bulb end of the scale than a 500w floodlamp.  ;D ;D ;D If the firing squad shot him in the head it would implode  ;D ;D ;D

You'd think it'd default back to 'normal' when the ignition is turned on each time .......... like Vauxhalls do.  :-/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 18 queries.