Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How the He%#$ can you connect to a VPN with Vista?  (Read 3075 times)

Baron Von Spongebob

• Omega Baron
  • South Wales
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
Re: How the He%#$ can you connect to a VPN with Vi
« Reply #30 on: 05 September 2007, 22:04:35 »

I have been trying to follow this post as it is of interest to me but its like looking through fog..

Am i thick,,dont answer i will..yes..

I have tried setting up ftp but do not know where to go next, i am joining crazydad with this mystery to us..

Insults welcome i deserve it.. ;D
Is the world ready for me..

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 September 2007, 22:14:38 »

I have been trying to follow this post as it is of interest to me but its like looking through fog..

I have tried setting up ftp but do not know where to go next, i am joining crazydad with this mystery to us..

You know I wouldn't normally miss an invitation like that but I'm in the same boat as you. :-[ I am totally lost as well. :(

Still I wonder if Theolodian managed to solve his problem?
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Baron Von Spongebob

• Omega Baron
  • South Wales
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 September 2007, 22:18:41 »

You know I wouldn't normally miss an invitation like that but I'm in the same boat as you. :-[ I am totally lost as well. :(

Still I wonder if Theolodian managed to solve his problem?

I am getting used to being thick.. ;D

Not having experience with software of this kind its hard..But there again i will have a lightbulb moment one day..I promise.. :D

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 September 2007, 22:27:58 »

Cisco have a VPN Client for Vista (32 bit version only).

Would a copy of that help? - trial version obviously, wouldn't want to break any laws now would we?

Dave
Yeah, Cisco's super expensive.  Got the other thing mostly working.  Will spend more time on it Friday.  Everything else, Cisco included, seems to only be the big boys - Cisco, Nortel et. al.  Not Symantec, Linksys, Netgear, etc.

Did I mention that Vista sux?   >:( >:(  Only decent 13" Windows laptop is the MacBook.  Runs Vista and XP.  Dell, Sony, etc. seem to only do Vista on 13 inchers.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 September 2007, 22:36:34 »

Virtually every webhost has std ftp open to internet, and correctly set up, is normally OK.  Granted, people in the right (priveledged) places on the net can sniff the password, hence why you should change password at least monthly.

Yes, and POP3/IMAP mail servers, and SMTP servers authenticated only by IP address etc. It works, but I consider it to be a bit of a joke and they only do it because it's cheap and they couldn't care less about their customers' data/information integrity.

All of our Internet facing servers that have been 'hit' haven't been via FTP, but due to Linux's usual problem with iptables being flakey under heavy use (have to use iptables, as proper, dedicated firewalls are too slow for some applications).

For this application - swapping files, possibly large ones - straight FTP is easy to set up and performs well :)

It does perform well in purely terms of getting the file from A to B efficiently, and I consider it to be ideal for public servers that allow anonymous access. But personally I'd never put anything I'm remotely concerned about becoming public onto a standard FTP server -- if it's some holiday snaps then I wouldn't worry, but if it's finance spreadsheets I would. Depends how paranoid you are really, and I guess I rank quite high on the scale when it comes to computer security :y

The first point. Not caring about data/integrity? No, thats not the reason. Its because people can use it.  It costs nothing to add sftp, scp etc, and these often are provided in addition to ftp (and telnet is shell access given).  The non encrypted tend to get used more due to easier use for non savvy users.

Second point. If its OK to email, its OK to ftp (in the same format) imho.

Yes unencrypted is easier, but it's not really much more difficult to use encrypted links. And usually people who aren't tech savvy will be following a guide provided by whoever is running the service. Particularly when it comes to configuring IMAP/POP3 e-mail, you have to look up the host address anyway (although quite often it's obvious) so all they have to say is "tick the SSL" option or whatever, one extra click. Even my mum can manage that ;).

I agree that if it's suitable to e-mail it's suitable to FTP. Photos and stuff I'd happily e-mail, but there's a lot of stuff I wouldn't e-mail, or at least I'd encrypt first and tell the recipient the passphrase over the phone. I think the danger with FTP is that you can end up leaving stuff accessible without thinking of the potential consequences.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 September 2007, 22:43:38 »

Yes unencrypted is easier, but it's not really much more difficult to use encrypted links. And usually people who aren't tech savvy will be following a guide provided by whoever is running the service. Particularly when it comes to configuring IMAP/POP3 e-mail, you have to look up the host address anyway (although quite often it's obvious) so all they have to say is "tick the SSL" option or whatever, one extra click. Even my mum can manage that ;).

I agree that if it's suitable to e-mail it's suitable to FTP. Photos and stuff I'd happily e-mail, but there's a lot of stuff I wouldn't e-mail, or at least I'd encrypt first and tell the recipient the passphrase over the phone. I think the danger with FTP is that you can end up leaving stuff accessible without thinking of the potential consequences.

take your average Windows or basic Linux machine - nothing but simple ftp, not sftp etc.  As for mail clients - there are a huge number of clients and scripts that can't deal with SSL. Additionally, it does NOTHING for integrity/privacy, as smtp to smtp relays are unencrypted.

With the 'if it can be emailed' comment, I did state 'in the same format' - ie if you need to encrypt to email, you need to encrypt to ftp...
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 September 2007, 23:24:03 »

I've been trying too. But my brain started to ache after the first couple of answers. :-[  :y

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 05 September 2007, 23:28:55 »

OK have you installed the FTP server within windows?
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Baron Von Spongebob

• Omega Baron
  • South Wales
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05 September 2007, 23:34:37 »

I havnt..It asks me for SP DISK 2 which i dont have..Just the restore disk that come with computer and it says it cannot find the file..

So i installed Golden ftp server..set it up but how do others look at it..

Im getting duller by the day.. :-[

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05 September 2007, 23:37:23 »

take your average Windows or basic Linux machine - nothing but simple ftp, not sftp etc.  As for mail clients - there are a huge number of clients and scripts that can't deal with SSL. Additionally, it does NOTHING for integrity/privacy, as smtp to smtp relays are unencrypted.

With the 'if it can be emailed' comment, I did state 'in the same format' - ie if you need to encrypt to email, you need to encrypt to ftp...

Yes e-mail is inherently insecure even with SSL, of that there is no doubt. However it does protect your password, which I still consider very important because many ISPs use a single password for multiple services... if your e-mail pass is snooped, so is your password for anything else. Often there's no way to separate them, again it comes down to them minimising cost.

The difference with e-mail and FTP for me is that I seldom send anything of any privacy value over e-mail. On the other hand I do often want to access my files (documents etc) when I'm away from home, and I don't know in advance which ones I may want or need. Therefore file level encryption doesn't help much as I'd need to know in advance which files I'll need (or routinely encrypt them all). With secure login and encrypted link I can simply log on and download whatever I need without worrying about it or planning it.

As mentioned before, I'm probably more paranoid than most when it comes to information security, but in my opinion and for my circumstances it's worth the (slight) extra effort/overhead.

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05 September 2007, 23:43:09 »

I havnt..It asks me for SP DISK 2 which i dont have..Just the restore disk that come with computer and it says it cannot find the file..

Do you mean SP2 disk? Do you have SP2 installed at all? If not I've got an original copy I could put in the post for you. You are running WinXP aren't you. Win98 used to keep asking you to insert Disk2 into the disk drive.
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 05 September 2007, 23:44:26 »

Have you got your IP address? if not open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all
you will see your IP address in the text that comes up.
using an ftp client on another pc try to connect to your IP address.
I would set the server to allow anonymous logins first to see if it works.
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Baron Von Spongebob

• Omega Baron
  • South Wales
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 September 2007, 23:45:52 »

Do you mean SP2 disk? Do you have SP2 installed at all? If not I've got an original copy I could put in the post for you. You are running WinXP aren't you. Win98 used to keep asking you to insert Disk2 into the disk drive.

Yes thats what i meant..Typing too fast again for my brain..Yes have SP2 installed and have SP2 disk but it didnt work..Perhaps a new copy needed..Let you know.. :y

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05 September 2007, 23:52:37 »

Just a thought Spongey what do you want to transfer? If its just the occasional pic or file why not just use MSN or similar and use the file sharing in that? Its more or less auto setup and you can even set up a sharing directory now that will sync to another pc
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Baron Von Spongebob

• Omega Baron
  • South Wales
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05 September 2007, 23:56:17 »

Just a thought Spongey what do you want to transfer? If its just the occasional pic or file why not just use MSN or similar and use the file sharing in that? Its more or less auto setup and you can even set up a sharing directory now that will sync to another pc
You have PM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.