Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrical problem - Omega 2.5 TD  (Read 1819 times)

Belgarion

• Mid-Cheshire
    • View Profile
Electrical problem - Omega 2.5 TD
« on: 10 September 2006, 16:19:55 »

All, can anyone please advise me on the possible cause of the following problem?

I have just replaced the illumination bulbs in the center console (heater control unit) and now although all of the illumination is working fine I find that none of the instruments are working (rev counter/ speedometer/petrol/ temp gauges / onboard computer) or the electric windows / elec sun roof or the lights that indicate the gear position (auto gear box)

I have had a local auto electrician out to look at it but he seems to be more than a little baffled by the whole business, he states that there is no power reaching one half of the fuse box but maintains that there is power reaching the instrument cluster. none of the fuses are blown.

Any ideas anyone?

Taxi_Driver

Re: Electrical problem - Omega 2.5 TD
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2006, 19:15:46 »

Only thing i can think of....is have you checked the fuses in the engine bay, other than that if he reckons power is getting to the instruments.....you've lost an earth somewhere.

Not really much help....but best i can think off

Belgarion

• Mid-Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2006, 17:17:52 »

Checked the fuses in the engine bay and 2 had blown, replaced them but to no avail - still nothing - have booked it into vauxhall for friday morning thanks for your advice  :)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2006, 17:22:48 »

Have you done any work behind the dash only could be that the dash isn't seated properly.

Have you checked the fuses to the windows.

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2006, 11:04:00 »

You must always disconnect the battery before doing any electrical work!

The electric windows have their own fuse, as does the sunroof.

You should check all the internal and external fuses.

The problem with the instruments could also be just a blown fuse.

These are easy checks which a dealer will charge an hours labour for, plus £25-£30 for a 'diagnostic check'.
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Belgarion

• Mid-Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2006, 21:46:09 »

As it happens this turned out to be a fuse (even thugh they had been chacked by both myself and an independant auto electrician) cost me £70 to get it looked at by vauxhalls - having said that it is working now but I have another issue now, since the issue with the electrics i have a rather nasty "gas like" smell coming into the cabin and cannot figure out what is causing it - i would take it to Vauxhall but i cant really afford their prices at the moment any ideas what could be causing it?

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2006, 23:23:43 »

As it happens this turned out to be a fuse (even thugh they had been chacked by both myself and an independant auto electrician) cost me £70 to get it looked at by vauxhalls - having said that it is working now but I have another issue now, since the issue with the electrics i have a rather nasty "gas like" smell coming into the cabin and cannot figure out what is causing it - i would take it to Vauxhall but i cant really afford their prices at the moment any ideas what could be causing it?
Gas like smell could be the AirCon, is it present all the time? How about when the AC is set to high.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2006, 23:24:33 by Kev »
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

Belgarion

• Mid-Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2006, 23:59:58 »

thats the curious thing - there's no aircon on my car.... havent got a clue where this smell is coming from :(

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2006, 00:27:02 »

I'd check under the wiper scuttle, passenger side where the pollen filter is fitted.

This can sometimes fill with water if the drain holes are blocked, could be stagnent water in there that's causing it, that's where the blower intake is.  ::)
« Last Edit: 23 September 2006, 00:29:29 by Kev »
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

Belgarion

• Mid-Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2006, 00:35:18 »

Sorry, already checked the pollen filter, the battery is ok too- i know this can cause a smell if it starts to break down but theres nothing wrong there. i think that the only thing left is to get it on a ramp and see if i can see any leak onto the exhaust...totally confused by this one....:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.