Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: R/H exhaust manifold  (Read 3119 times)

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
R/H exhaust manifold
« on: 25 November 2006, 20:37:45 »

:P Okay another newby? new to Omega's and already need a touch of advice. 2.5 all the usual. I had an exhaust blow from r/h (drivers) manifold and traced to a broken stud. however during removal of said manifold the external torx bolts which hold the sheilding on all rounded off, not break off as i was hoping. so i had to bust off the heat shields to remove the manifold, lets say the air was a dark shade of blue. Now i have 2 choices, drill manifold and try and locate new heatshields or from my motorsport days use some reflective heat wrap tape around manifold. This is where your combined knowledge might help, due to location next to steering box and coolant pipe(grrrrrrrrrr who thought of that idea for removal!!!!!!!!!!!!) how critical will use of correct heatshielding be. Any help much appreciated
You came in that, your braver than i thought

STMO123

Re: R/H exhaust manifold
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2006, 20:40:20 »

Welcome. Think you've posted in the wrong place mate. try general help

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2006, 20:44:31 »

Welcome. I've moved post to a more appropriate place :)
Grumpy old man

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2006, 20:46:30 »

See told you i was new. Thanks will do. The Omega's getting to me already

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2006, 20:48:47 »

Not sure how you will be able to fit exhaust wrap as there is not realy any edges to wrap it round....

Will they not come out with penetrating oil and knocking a smaller socket on....

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2006, 20:56:11 »

I see what you mean but as i have some heat shield tape just thought it would be an option, the tape adheres to itself and without sheilds there can wrap around manifold while it is off but would it offer enough protection.. Not sure if i was clear but manifold is now off and on the bench with a drill poised above it, just locating heatshields would delay fitting it back on and bolting it all up. Drilling out broken stud in head was enough, of course it was the one right at the back and a right angled air drill just saved the day. thanks

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2006, 20:58:28 »

Does the tape adhere to the manifold then....?

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2006, 21:05:43 »

Welcome matey :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2006, 00:11:40 »

:y thanks to everyone looks like a good site i've found. The manifold tape sticks to itself as you wind it around peeling off the backing. I've used it before on multi branch extractor manifolds but on that type of car they used steering rack normally and coolant pipes were routed well away from manifolds, just concerned with the heat build up right next to a steering box full of power steering fluid. especially as these engines are apparantly built to rev with 4 valves per cyl. and quad cams and a high red line on the rev counter for a 2.5 ltr. i suspect heat build up from the manifold after a long run would be high. Maybe i'll just drill them out and go back to original spec with the shields.

Cav9_4

• Omega Knight
  • Sutton-In-Ashfield,Notts
  • 2003 Omega 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2006, 00:34:42 »

Hi & welcome to the forum :y.....are there any breakers local to u that u could get another manifold from

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2006, 00:50:47 »

:'( yes there is but they said i'll have to take it off but engine still in car, on bended knees not again pleeeaaase. just thought though as i've got top half of engne stipped ie manifolds and cam covers might as well do the cam belt, read some where it would be worth doing the water pump as well as car has 142.000 miles on it. anything eles i should change while i'm at it. Car drives like new so its worth spending some money on it now. bought it for £400, t&t. cdx estate, with 6 disc changer although when on cd only plays out of left speakers!!!! and the sunroof switch assembly has fallen apart, but other than that its a good car

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2006, 09:12:36 »

spot on - whilst your stripped to that level

cambelt and tensioners ( get a locking kit and also the £3 dvd on here)
water pump as well its only £20 or so

whilst you have that access it would be worth checking the condition of rockers, heater bypass valve and coolant pipes at rear of enging to make sure there are no obvious leaks :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Cav9_4

• Omega Knight
  • Sutton-In-Ashfield,Notts
  • 2003 Omega 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2006, 10:11:41 »

Hi,what's your location as there are a few omega's in local yards to me,also there's a guy in Notts who breaks nothing but omega's i could also try him if u have no joy with your own...wayne

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2006, 18:16:36 »

:y  Many thanks.  Location is North Kent near Isle of Sheppey.  Yes I've heard all the jokes!  Do you know anyone who's breaking Omegas in my area apart from the one I mentioned earlier at local breakers?  Or has anyone got some good heat shields for right hand manifold on this site they can sell me and I'll pay P&P obviously.  Also does anyone know the score on patten part water pumps - or do you recommend original?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 November 2006, 18:27:47 »

:y  Many thanks.  Location is North Kent near Isle of Sheppey.  Yes I've heard all the jokes!  Do you know anyone who's breaking Omegas in my area apart from the one I mentioned earlier at local breakers?  Or has anyone got some good heat shields for right hand manifold on this site they can sell me and I'll pay P&P obviously.  Also does anyone know the score on patten part water pumps - or do you recommend original?
Soz, can't help with heatshields, but genuine water pumps are not that expensive (about £25 +VAT I believe...)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.