Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car sluggish in Auto and several dash lights on  (Read 7266 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Car sluggish in Auto and several dash lights o
« Reply #30 on: 19 December 2006, 18:10:44 »

18v  :o

Alternator's regulator is donald duck'd. Thread in Maintenence Guides on repair.  Possibly damaged other stuff, hopefully nothing electronic. Likely to have killed the battery though.

What does battery read without engine running?
Grumpy old man

randomspam

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 December 2006, 19:27:45 »

oh dear :( weird considering the alternator was apparently replaced this year.

Without the car on the battery reads as 12.51

I've had a look on the Repairing the Alternator guide but it doesn't mention where it is or how to get to it, if this beyond a completely average person and his dad, I'd definitely need step by step instructions, then maybe i'll have to take it into a garage :(

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 December 2006, 21:01:05 »

Right, to get to the alternator idealy you need to strip the inlet trunking out and pop the aux belt off (the cambelt DVD covers this nicely). Its not to hard!

Then its two bolts and the alterntor will pop off its mounts, then detach the large wire (13mm nut) and the small wire (8mm nut) and the alternator is then sat in your hands ready to work on.

There is a guy selling new regulators for the Omega alternator (which is the bit that is goosed!) for about a tenner.

randomspam

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 December 2006, 12:35:57 »

hmmm not convinced on this, i don't know what inlet trunking or an aux belt is, although I do have the DVD you refer too.

Who and where is this guy selling regulators? Are you saying my alternator should be fine and that the regulator probably wouldn't have been replaced with the alternator earlier this year?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 December 2006, 13:57:54 »

The alternator is screwed to the rear of the alternator and should have been repalced as part of the recon....

The guy selling them is here:

Alternator Bits

As a quick question......if, with the engine running, you turn the headlights, heated seats (if fitted) heated screen etc on, do the warning lights go out..........

randomspam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26 December 2006, 10:59:57 »

Hi,

I see this guy also sells Alternator rectifiers, I don't need one of those as well do I? I tried it with all the electrics on and although there did seem to be a reduction in things playing up they did continue to play up. There is a noticable change in things like audio volume increasing/decreasing and air-con fan strength increasing and decreasing that goes with the needles dropping or kicking in to life.

I've just watched the stripping down section of the dvd and there is no mention of the phrase inlet trunking or aux belt so i've got no idea which bits of the car they are, any ideas? I've got very few of the tools shown in the video as well so maybe i'd better just stick it into the garage.
« Last Edit: 26 December 2006, 11:20:42 by randomspam »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 26 December 2006, 16:07:46 »

Where are you?

randomspam

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 26 December 2006, 16:12:42 »

I'm in London, Plumstead, SE18, does anyone know of a reputable mechanic in the SE area?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 26 December 2006, 16:15:30 »

Not personaly, if you were closer to me I would have done it for you....

randomspam

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 26 December 2006, 16:22:51 »

Very kind of you to offer Marks DTM Calib but sadly Nottingham is indeed a fair trek, if I just knew what the each bit was in the engine bay then I'd be really keen to try it myself as I really do want to learn how to maintain the car myself. From changing the oil and coolant to  more difficult stuff like this, I hate not having a clue but I don't have a driveway or a garage or the tools or a knowledgable friend to steer me in the right direction. This forum is great of course but posting repeatedly just doesn't cut it when you need instant answers I'm sure everyone would agree.

I need a starting point though and as brilliant as the DVD obviously is it's still a step to far on for me, I need a big picture and some labels :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 26 December 2006, 16:32:55 »

The two items to remove are the inlet and aux belt.

The inlelt is the large lack set of trumpets that is removed first from between the engine and radiator in the DVD.

The aux belt is the item removed usinga 15mm spanner, its the first belt removed that runs around the 6 pulley wheels on the front of the engine.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 26 December 2006, 16:54:37 »

...Are you saying my alternator should be fine and that the regulator probably wouldn't have been replaced with the alternator earlier this year?

If the unit you had installed is a refurbished one, then it would have been fitted with new regulator, problem is that some firms get the cheapest parts they can rather the use quality parts from reputable manufacturers.

The voltage regulator is essentially a simple device, but when used in an engine it is subject to extreme temperatures, vibration, and water ingress so a cheapo one can play up and might not last as long as it should.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 26 December 2006, 16:56:29 »

And, just for completeness, the standard Bosch part number for the regulator is:

1 197 311 214

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 26 December 2006, 16:59:18 »

If the unit you had installed is a refurbished one, then it would have been fitted with new regulator, problem is that some firms get the cheapest parts they can rather the use quality parts from reputable manufacturers.

Unfortunately thats not always the case these days, its al to common for some to simply replace the faulty parts, clean them up and sell them on. Reality is that teh regulators are pretty bomb proof, its the bearings that tend to go noisey....

If you have the reciept for the original work it might be worth persuing a warranty claim.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 26 December 2006, 17:07:59 »

Unfortunately thats not always the case these days, its al to common for some to simply replace the faulty parts, clean them up and sell them on. Reality is that teh regulators are pretty bomb proof, its the bearings that tend to go noisey....

If you have the reciept for the original work it might be worth persuing a warranty claim.

Mark, 'refurbished' usually means unit cleaned and re-greased with a touch of graphite grease, the bearing replaced, regulator replaced, coils tested and repaired if broken, then unit tested to manufacturer’s specifications.

Simply replacing a bearing means the unit has been repaired, but such unit should not be sold as ‘refurbished’.

However the problem with refurbishing that that many firms throw-away the original Bosch/Lucas/Magneti Marelli etc regulator – which may be perfectly good – and replace it with a cheap east-European unit thus actually degrading the long-term reliability of the alternator.

The warranty claim might be in order though....
« Last Edit: 26 December 2006, 17:09:43 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 22 queries.