Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headlights Field/Vision  (Read 1341 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Headlights Field/Vision
« on: 14 February 2007, 16:20:16 »

Any takers as to what puts up the above message on the MID/TID/GID? I've checked the FNS wishbone level switch arm .... and it's still connected. Which side is the rear level switch on - I've self leveling rear supsension so (from memory  :-/) I have a level switch on either side.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2007, 16:21:39 by Andy_B »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Headlights Field/Vision
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2007, 16:28:25 »

Dont just check its connected, check its free to move also (worth popping the little link arm off, greasing the ball joints, moving the sensor arm a few times and re-fitting).

Front one is on the passenger side front wishbone (as you ahev found)

Rear one is on the passenger side rear trailing arm and not to be confused with the suspension self leveling sensor/ecu on the drivers side rear trailing arm near the diff....

Do you hear any motors whirring in the headlights before the fault appears?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2007, 16:33:48 »

Dont just check its connected, check its free to move also (worth popping the little link arm off, greasing the ball joints, moving the sensor arm a few times and re-fitting).

Front one is on the passenger side front wishbone (as you ahev found)

Rear one is on the passenger side rear trailing arm and not to be confused with the suspension self leveling sensor/ecu on the drivers side rear trailing arm near the diff....

Do you hear any motors whirring in the headlights before the fault appears?
Thanks Mark
Comparing the front with the rear I think the front is Donald Ducked - there's a lot of side ways play as well as the up & down.
Oh well it's only money! - at least it'll be cheaper than last months wheel bearing. Could be worse I could be crawling around under the car in the p'ing rain - it's actually sunny at the moment.

EDIT : F*** me side ways. Just phoned the dealer for a new switch £51!!!  :o I aint paying that!!!!

Who's breaking a car with a front (I think both front & rear are the same) leveling switch still attached?
« Last Edit: 14 February 2007, 16:38:39 by Andy_B »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2007, 16:51:21 »

The slop makes no odds.....there is no pysical connection between the arm and the sensor (its a magnetic sensor with a magnet in the arm)....

Just make sure it moves freely and that the wires and connections are good...

On laidback66's MV6 (which currently shows the same fault), the route cause is water in a level motor and you can hear the motor whiring away....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2007, 17:44:08 »

The slop makes no odds.....there is no pysical connection between the arm and the sensor (its a magnetic sensor with a magnet in the arm)....

Just make sure it moves freely and that the wires and connections are good...

On laidback66's MV6 (which currently shows the same fault), the route cause is water in a level motor and you can hear the motor whiring away....
Having just removed and semi dismantled the switch I've just discovered the magnetic bit.
Motor whiring in the headlight? If so why does the message appear with lights off? I can't hear anything whiring at all either with lights on or off.
A Tech II job then I assume to determine the actual cause?
Where's my old Senator? :( I want it back!!

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2007, 17:47:58 »

There's a thought...

Mark...   would you happen to know what form the signals take on the Sensors and HID levelling ECU connections???  
might make tracing the fault with mine a bit easier if I can identify what signals aren't present or correct....

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2007, 18:05:22 »

irratic is breaking an Elite 1998... try PM'ing him !!!!!

DC x
Do it right, do it once................

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2007, 19:02:23 »

There's a thought...

Mark...   would you happen to know what form the signals take on the Sensors and HID levelling ECU connections???  
might make tracing the fault with mine a bit easier if I can identify what signals aren't present or correct....

You have a cheap Tech2 just up the road, why bugger around (unless you want to)...
Grumpy old man

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2007, 20:17:51 »

TB, my apologies... I have no desire to Bugger about....  and will quite happily use your extremely reasonably priced services...   I'm just conscious of the fact that your time is a finite resource... and far more valuable than you actually charge...

and being somewhat less than super human   figured it MIGHT be something I could at least look at........

besides, I'm not really sure how much of what systems the Tech 2 technology actually covers ...... I presumed, as has been the case in the past with other such systems...  that   just because the MID issued a warning, it didn't necessarily mean that TECH2 could do full diagnostics on the entire sub system....

I sit corrected ;)  

Max
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2007, 20:52:54 »

TB, my apologies... I have no desire to Bugger about....  and will quite happily use your extremely reasonably priced services...   I'm just conscious of the fact that your time is a finite resource... and far more valuable than you actually charge...

and being somewhat less than super human   figured it MIGHT be something I could at least look at........

besides, I'm not really sure how much of what systems the Tech 2 technology actually covers ...... I presumed, as has been the case in the past with other such systems...  that   just because the MID issued a warning, it didn't necessarily mean that TECH2 could do full diagnostics on the entire sub system....

I sit corrected ;)  

Max
Tech2 can tell you what the levelling ECU thinks is wrong. Naturally, the ECU doesn't always get it right....
Grumpy old man

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2007, 22:11:01 »

I sit corrected ;)  

Max
Tech2 can tell you what the levelling ECU thinks is wrong. Naturally, the ECU doesn't always get it right....

Unlike Mark...  ;)
The Administrator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.