Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spark Plugs  (Read 1137 times)

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
Spark Plugs
« on: 18 March 2007, 20:47:51 »

Hi Chaps

Quick Question was removing my Sparks Plugs today and the Spark Plug In number one pot is like mega stuck felt like it was threded so i left it.

My Question Is When i had my Head Gasket changed I was told the head was skimmed, do you have to remove the plugs to skim the head if so the Muppet Mechanic has threaded the spark plug and i can go back and see him and give him greef.

If the plug was stuck before the head gasket was changed and you do need to remove them for skimming may be it was not skimmed

Thanks

Craig
« Last Edit: 18 March 2007, 20:48:41 by CraigR »
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
Re: Spark Plugs
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2007, 20:57:47 »

My guess is they would need to be removed, on the v6 at least they screw into what I assume is the head, would be pretty difficult to skim that with 3 plugs poking out of it...
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

DaveL

• Omega Knight
  • Nr. Cupar, Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2007, 21:38:47 »

Before you skim a head/s you need to remove all the valves, spark plugs etc. Could well be that the spark plugs have been cross threaded or even done up too tight. Are you trying to take them out with the engine hot? If so do not. Wait until the engine is cold.

How long ago was the engine repaired? If only recently then take car back to repairers and get them to take the plug out. If they cause damage then or before come to some arrangement with them as to who pays for the repair. :)
 8-)
DaveL
« Last Edit: 18 March 2007, 21:39:17 by davel »

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2007, 22:30:53 »

It was repaired at xmas.

You sure the valves would be removed, Just not sure if there is a dip in the head where the ends of the plugs pop through on a 4 pot.

ill have a look for an image of one to make sure.

Anyone else know for sure ?

Craig
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2007, 00:04:12 »

If you're going to do a proper job of skimming a head it has to be totally stripped down. You're going to get swarf and metal filings everywhere and it all needs to be cleaned out. The question is whether they did a proper job. You could probably do the machining with the plugs and valves in place as I doubt they'd protrude past the head surface. Maybe wrong..

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2007, 10:23:30 »

Its rare for a garage to strip the head for a simple skim.....very rare and not essential if you clean it properly afterwards as neither the valves nor the spark plug tips protrude lower than the head face.

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2007, 11:21:44 »

ThankYou Mark That was the Answer I was Looking For.

Saves me making an idiot of myself having a go at the mech guy if he did not remove them.

If the Plug is cross threaded its will be a new Head but the plugs are brand new in so ill not have to worry till 40,000 miles time then ill just change the head over for another one.

Thanks

Craig
« Last Edit: 19 March 2007, 11:23:01 by CraigR »
Mod's

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2007, 12:48:37 »

ThankYou Mark That was the Answer I was Looking For.

Saves me making an idiot of myself having a go at the mech guy if he did not remove them.

If the Plug is cross threaded its will be a new Head but the plugs are brand new in so ill not have to worry till 40,000 miles time then ill just change the head over for another one.

Thanks

Craig

Do you know for sure that the garage you took it too actually skimmed it?  My local garage sent my head off to get skimmed, and they definitely removed everything beforehand.. Might even be worth you asking what their normal process is when skimming heads, i.e. if they do it, if they send it away, and what they take out in both instances..  You still need to confirm it wasn't them I would have thought...
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2007, 13:03:50 »

If your doing a headgasket fix (note, not the result of a cambelt failure as the valves will be bent anyway) then there is no need to strip the part as its considerably more labour time.....very un-usual for the head to be stripped on such work.....

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2007, 15:20:55 »

If your doing a headgasket fix (note, not the result of a cambelt failure as the valves will be bent anyway) then there is no need to strip the part as its considerably more labour time.....very un-usual for the head to be stripped on such work.....

Oh good, I was more than likely overcharged then  >:(  >:(

I'm so glad I have a car that I don't need to take to anyone to fix anymore (crosses fingers)

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2007, 18:41:22 »

Mark's right on that one, no need for plugs or valves out, unless valves bent, as they would possibly have to reseat them!!!!  More work / cost..  I was in an engineering shop a week ago and watched a Seddon Attkinson straight 6 skimmed, valves all in and sitting well protected in the concave combustion area of the head.. same applies to VX...  I had a pal who's plug thread was stripped / crossed...  they drilled an oversize hole, screwed in a sleeve which was pre threaded to take the spark plug, job done... HEAD OFF again though.. unless others know more..

DC :-*
Do it right, do it once................
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.