Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wipers very intermittent ...  (Read 1586 times)

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
wipers very intermittent ...
« on: 20 March 2007, 19:02:29 »

... as in not working at all on intermittent  >:(

it seems that the intermittent setting - which *should* operate in conjunction with the rain sensor - on my new omega ain't working - at all. If you set the wiper to position 1 or 2, the wipers move fine.

Possibly related - I noticed that if you wash the windscreen, on my old omega the wipers then perform about 3 sweeps automatically ... on the new one this doesn't happen, so you have to set the wipers to position 1 (or 2) manually ... any ideas where to start looking? ta  :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: wipers very intermittent ...
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2007, 20:39:26 »

it seems that the intermittent setting - which *should* operate in conjunction with the rain sensor - on my new omega ain't working - at all. If you set the wiper to position 1 or 2, the wipers move fine.

Possibly related - I noticed that if you wash the windscreen, on my old omega the wipers then perform about 3 sweeps automatically ... on the new one this doesn't happen, so you have to set the wipers to position 1 (or 2) manually ... any ideas where to start looking? ta  :)
wiper relay? -

DaveL

• Omega Knight
  • Nr. Cupar, Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2007, 20:52:47 »

wiper relay? -

My best guess as well. :y
 8-)
DaveL

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2007, 23:26:26 »

welllllll .... after studying the wiring diagram on TIS, it would appear that the rain sensor is looking very likely!!

I have a sneaky feeling that the windscreen might have been replaced, I wonder if the sensor got disconnected and/or broken during this process, as it would appear that the switched feed when the windscreen washer is activated is also fed there ... hmmm ...  there's hope yet ... hopefully !!! :-?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2007, 00:15:39 »

welllllll .... after studying the wiring diagram on TIS, it would appear that the rain sensor is looking very likely!!

I have a sneaky feeling that the windscreen might have been replaced, I wonder if the sensor got disconnected and/or broken during this process, as it would appear that the switched feed when the windscreen washer is activated is also fed there ... hmmm ...  there's hope yet ... hopefully !!! :-?

Ah! The thick plottens!  ;) If Autoglass (other windscreen monkeys are available  ::) ) have had their grubby mitts on your car, anything could have happened.  ;D

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2007, 00:28:48 »

hmmm ... funny you should mention autoglass, as I'm sure it said RAC in the N/S bottom corner of the windscreen ... don't they own autoglass?  :-/

well if I can get the thing apart it should be easy to test - pin 4 of the connector is ground - with ignition on, connecting that to pin 7 should activate slow wipe and pin 4 to pin 8 should activate fast wipe ... but I'm hoping for something simple - like the connector has just become disconnected  ;)
« Last Edit: 21 March 2007, 00:29:09 by sounds2k »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2007, 10:24:55 »

Or they have fitted a screen which does not have a clear section for the rain detector to look through......

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2007, 22:13:59 »

Or they have fitted a screen which does not have a clear section for the rain detector to look through......
after checking the wiring diagrams, I'd have been inclined to agree with that ... apart from that the wipers don't kick in when you activate the windscreen washer either! Fortunately the replacement screen is of the correct type ...

Tested it today, all voltages present and correct - including switched 12V feeds (one when intermittent is activated on the wiper stalk, the other when the washer is activated). I then set the wipers to intermittent and grounded the slow wipe wire - off the wipers went. I tried the fast wipe one but it did nothing on its' own. I then re-grounded the slow-wipe wire and then grounded the fast wipe wire as well - hey presto, fast wipe :)

Just to eliminate a dodgy connector, I tried this again connecting to the PCB where the header is fitted, with the same results.

So it does indeed look like a faulty rain sensor (I hope) - new they are £57+VAT trade - have to come from Germany - but I found a dealer up north via "car parts connexion" who had one in stock for £25 inc. VAT ... hopefully it'll fix it  ;)
« Last Edit: 21 March 2007, 22:15:16 by sounds2k »

old cruiser

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2007, 08:56:20 »

Is it only the Elite that has rain sensors?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2007, 09:21:27 »

It was an option on others.....

Can I have the faulty part for disection?

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2007, 13:18:34 »

It was an option on others.....

Can I have the faulty part for disection?
Provided it fixes the problem, of course you can ... it's all surface mounted components though ...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 March 2007, 13:21:21 »

All the better.......

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 March 2007, 18:54:40 »

wellllll .... the replacement unit arrived today, connected it up ... same problem  >:(

however I then had another look at the original, one of the components (resistor - marked 3482, is that 34.8kOhm ?) was at a slight angle to the solder pad but *looked* like it was connected OK last time. This time a gap could be seen between the contact on the end of the resistor and the solder pad on the PCB, so out came the soldering iron - remade the connection on both ends of the resistor and .... it now appears to work  :y

So potentially the replacement might be spannered ... need to drive around with the original unit fitted for a couple of days to be sure it's now OK, then again rain is forecast so I'll be finding out pretty soon if it works  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.