Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: veryoneGood Vibrations  (Read 1401 times)

Scotty

• Manchester
    • View Profile
veryoneGood Vibrations
« on: 19 April 2007, 20:06:55 »

How Do Everyone!

This problem may seem a very strange one but please bear with me.

I currently drive a 2.2 Auto CD.

When I stop at the traffic lights for example I leave the car in 'drive' mode but keep
my foot on the brake. If I then press the switch for the rear heated window what
happens is a very strange mild vibration occurs around the drivers area. If I turn
it off the vibration stops. Pressing the swtich on always creates this vibration
whether the car is hot or cold.

I'm hoping it is not a serious problem but it is rather annoying and puzzling.

Cheers

STMO123

Re: veryoneGood Vibrations
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2007, 20:11:51 »

Sounds as if you're just putting the alternator under load and thereby altering the engine idle speed slightly. Try it with another high drain component like full beam, or maybe both seat heaters.
« Last Edit: 19 April 2007, 20:13:19 by STMO123 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2007, 20:16:28 »

As STM says. Probably just alters engine speed enough to cause a resonance...
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2007, 23:01:58 »

Me being and old geezer, I remember that in the early eighties Lancia had a problem with the Lancia Y10 or whatever it was cold - with the 1L Fiat FIRE engine - if you switched the rear windscreen demister on, the car would stall... it turns out it was drawing too much juice. You may have a short-circuit somewhere on the rear windscreen...
Alas, no more Omegas....

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2007, 23:27:30 »

Whats the deal with keeping your foot on the brake anyhow?  I was always under the impression that you had to knock it into neutral when standing to avoid wear on the autobox, clutch? etc...  Or is that not the case on an Omega (or any car?)
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2007, 23:31:38 »

Whats the deal with keeping your foot on the brake anyhow?  I was always under the impression that you had to knock it into neutral when standing to avoid wear on the autobox, clutch? etc...  Or is that not the case on an Omega (or any car?)

That is probably the 'correct' way, i knew someone who put it their Auto in Park at lights  :-?

Technically you should shift into N and put the hand break on.

Breaking with autos cause pads to ware early, it can also warp discs if you stomp on the brakes and leave them pressed down.

When driving the Senator i leave it in D at lights with my foot rested on the pedal....

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2007, 00:24:36 »

I don't think it causes that much wear?

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2007, 00:24:57 »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Omega (apparently like many other automatic cars) has a switch built-in into the brake pedal mechanism so that when the brake is fully applied the transmission is switched into neutral... this seems to make sense, though I can find where I read it nor can I see where such a switch might be located (unless it is incorporated into the brake light switch).

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2007, 00:34:03 »

That is probably the 'correct' way, i knew someone who put it their Auto in Park at lights  :-?

Technically you should shift into N and put the hand break on.

Breaking with autos cause pads to ware early, it can also warp discs if you stomp on the brakes and leave them pressed down.

When driving the Senator i leave it in D at lights with my foot rested on the pedal....

The pads will nor wear as result of standing with the brake applied, as there is no friction. I am aware that some people maintain that the discs will get warped due to heat build-up as the area covered by the pads can not ventilate properly, but I am not sure if this is actually proven or confirmed.

Pads wear on automatics because the engine is not normally used for braking (i.e. using low gears and high revs) as is the case with manual cars, so the brakes get more use. However, while braking with the engine is considered 'safer' because it prevents the brakes from overheating (for example, when driving down a mountain slope in hot climate, it is recommend to do this using high revs in low gear and without using the brakes, to prevent brake fading) , mechanically it is the wrong thing to do... the pads and discs are energy absorbing and designed to wear while doing their job, which is why they are relatively cheap and easy to replace. The engine is NOT designed to be used as brake, and doing so will impose mechanical stress on it - it is far more expensive to replace the engine than the discs and pads...

Also, the most common problem with automatics use to be that most people did not bother to shift down to 2nd gear when coasting downhill, thus simply dragging the brakes to overcome the transmissions tendency to shift-up and the car to speed. However modern cars and the Omegas included do not suffer from this problem - coast downhill and let go of the accelerator, you will see that the car does NOT speed-up downhill as the older automatics use to do... so there is not need to drag the brakes while driving downhill.

In short, the brakes on modern automatics should be used just like a manual car, they will still wear (slightly) faster than on manuals but this is not a problem as the pads are designed to wear and cheap to replace.

Alas, no more Omegas....

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2007, 03:35:40 »

How Do Everyone!

This problem may seem a very strange one but please bear with me.

I currently drive a 2.2 Auto CD.

When I stop at the traffic lights for example I leave the car in 'drive' mode but keep
my foot on the brake. If I then press the switch for the rear heated window what
happens is a very strange mild vibration occurs around the drivers area. If I turn
it off the vibration stops. Pressing the swtich on always creates this vibration
whether the car is hot or cold.

I'm hoping it is not a serious problem but it is rather annoying and puzzling.

Cheers

Hi Scotty,
Can't you just find another button to fiddle with while you're waiting at the lights? ;)

Cheers
Ian

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2007, 03:36:47 »

Hmmm... could it be that your throttle body and breathers need cleaning?

Does the same thing happen if you switch the air con on?
I like red cars

Scotty

• Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2007, 03:49:27 »

Come to think of it, turning the climate on also starts the 'good' vibrations off.

Scotty

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2007, 05:02:51 »

My money is on cleaning out the throttle body and breathers see here for the 'How to'

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1162397695
I like red cars

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 April 2007, 10:57:48 »

Come to think of it, turning the climate on also starts the 'good' vibrations off.

Scotty

Turning the climate from Auto to Off and Off to Auto will affect it.

Thats basically turning the compressor on and off (it should always be on really) open you drivers side door, with the climate on Auto. Press Off, and you should hear the compressor tick off, and revs dip by about 200 rpm.

Same when you press Auto, to turn it on. Compressor clicks in & revs go up by 200 rpm.

All normal  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.