Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cam Belt Change  (Read 1885 times)

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
Cam Belt Change
« on: 22 March 2007, 07:15:36 »

Hi guys
Just had cam kit changed at Dealers in my home Town Doncaster also had breathers cleared  and a  cam cover gaskets changed I was charged 514.88 for the job. The mechanic came out and told me a few things about car which was ok but when i asked if he had put any adesive on the bends he looked horrified and said they are rubber gaskets and they are not designed to have any adesive of any description on. I know some of you learned guys use it the question is will it be ok and will it leak again because before when i pulled up i had oil all over my drive along with the smoke and smell of burning oil it had to be done so i bit the bullet and took it to dealers however i suspect time will tell but at thois time i cant see any drips as i parked car further back on a clean place and no drips i think i got a slight wiff of oil smell but not too bad

Robert
There is a tide in the affairs of man if taken at the flood will lead on to greater things

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Cam Belt Change
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2007, 07:55:41 »

I would say keep an eye on it, atleast you have the benefit that its now under warranty so if you do get any problems you can take it back.

Good Luck with it :y

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2007, 08:03:47 »

The wiff of oil smell could be the old oil burning off, as said, keep your eye on it.
I like red cars

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2007, 08:10:36 »

Silly sods.....so they dont even follow Vauxhalls fitting guide in TIS then which tells you to use sealent on the corners....

You might be lucky but, why do they take the risk and not follow the manufacturers advice which is readily available to them....

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2007, 09:17:16 »

Hi guys
Just had cam kit changed at Dealers in my home Town Doncaster also had breathers cleared  and a  cam cover gaskets changed I was charged 514.88 for the job. The mechanic came out and told me a few things about car which was ok but when i asked if he had put any adesive on the bends he looked horrified and said they are rubber gaskets and they are not designed to have any adesive of any description on. I know some of you learned guys use it the question is will it be ok and will it leak again because before when i pulled up i had oil all over my drive along with the smoke and smell of burning oil it had to be done so i bit the bullet and took it to dealers however i suspect time will tell but at thois time i cant see any drips as i parked car further back on a clean place and no drips i think i got a slight wiff of oil smell but not too bad

Robert

When I first did my gaskets only the passenger side was leaking, not drivers.  I did both sides at it made sense to me to only have to take it all to bits once.  I was unsure of how much sealant to use, so I put a smear, less than .5mm all the way around.  Next day, both leaking everywhere...all because of not using the right amount of sealant in the right places.
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2007, 14:24:46 »

Thanks for the info guys i shall certainly be watching
There is a tide in the affairs of man if taken at the flood will lead on to greater things

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2007, 17:06:46 »

Don't be worried if you get the oil smell for a few days - can take a while to burn off.

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2007, 18:48:51 »

As Mark says to use sealant is Vx's reccommended proceedure so if it does start to leak you have one major comeback with them.
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2007, 21:25:09 »

Surly the globs of black sealant the numpty had to wipe off should have given it away?!

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2007, 13:01:14 »

Further to my cam covers i have a small leak again i took it back to my dealers who said there work was not leaking but you have
1slightly leaking sump gasket
2 rear crank shaft seal leaking
3 headgasket slightly leaking
 cost to repair it sir £2500
gulp says i
sorry about that sir it more than the cars worth
id get rid if i was you
what a way to treat some one i did pay initialy a diagnostic charge 49.99 to find the oil leak they never said anything then just said it was cam cover gaskets with the cam belt change i paid 543.50
grrrr
but ill put up with the leak

robert

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2007, 14:03:22 »

Further to my cam covers i have a small leak again i took it back to my dealers who said there work was not leaking but you have
1slightly leaking sump gasket
2 rear crank shaft seal leaking
3 headgasket slightly leaking
 cost to repair it sir £2500
gulp says i
sorry about that sir it more than the cars worth
id get rid if i was you
what a way to treat some one i did pay initialy a diagnostic charge 49.99 to find the oil leak they never said anything then just said it was cam cover gaskets with the cam belt change i paid 543.50
grrrr
but ill put up with the leak

robert

Sorry to say this robert, but on the balance of probabilities it sounds to me as if the cam covers are leaking...

I discovered mine was leaking when I saw the crossmember behind the sump wet with oil - apparently the driver's side cover was leaking at the back for some time. These leaks have the nasty habbit of finding their way to the rear of the engine which may look like a rear crank seal leak...

Of course leaks can always occur, but Omegas are not especially prone to engine oil leaks so again I would say cam covers...

I'll post here later the Technical Information Bulleting from Vx showing the use of sealant on the cam cover gaskets so that you can print it out and take it to the garage.

And the thing about the leaking headgasket does sound like them trying to fob you away hoping you'll scrap the car and leave them in peace.

If all else fail, get a second opinion (in writing) as for the source of the current leak, as well as a quote of the cost of putting it right and tell the first garage that you lost confidence in them and intend to fix it elsewhere and recover the cost off them. I suspect they might beg you to let them sort it out first...

One last thing, did you pay for the repair by credit card?

« Last Edit: 20 April 2007, 14:08:42 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2007, 16:55:24 »

Thanks for that mate i might just do that and no i paid cash silly me should have known better

Robert

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2007, 18:12:54 »

Don't forget to pull a plug lead to see if there is oil on it. Worth a try.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 April 2007, 20:13:11 »

Please save these pictures - I will need to remove them soon.
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 April 2007, 20:13:54 »

Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.