Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Shocker test  (Read 822 times)

chelskifl

• chertsey
  • Yaba Daba Do Omega I Luv U
    • View Profile
Rear Shocker test
« on: 24 May 2007, 18:57:52 »

[size=12] :o is there a way of checking rear shocks that are of the car,,, omega elite 3.0 estate air shocks.
i have purchased two second user which i have cleaned and repainted took hours. if i block the inlet hole and push down hard on the shock it goes down if i keep my finger over the hole it pushes back out .. can not see any leeks.. the reason is when my car was on the ramp for an exhaust fit the machanic looked at my rear shocks. which the bottom of which is covered in grease..  he said my shocks were leaking,i thought they were air shocks not full of grease....the handling is fine and with a rear rock the car seatles straight away.. im wondering weather the previouse owner had smotherd the legs of the shock absorbers to protect from rain and dirt ect... any thoughts whats a good test selfleveling ect any thoughts would be much appreee :y[/size]

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Shocker test
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2007, 21:18:41 »

As the top tube of the shock is sealed onto the bottom tube with the "air bag" how did he tell they were leaking? The rubber is coated and looks greasy but isn't, sounds like another case of not knowing what they were looking at. They are standard shocks inside though with the bag and upper tube creating an air cushion to assist the springs whereas true air shocks work in the lower tube to make them stiffer with very little change in lift (tried max pressure in them once and the only suspension was the tyres it was so hard).

The bounce test is not conclusive on the Omega the front struts were totally shot and yet the bounce test was okay, dificulty in stroking the shock is a reasonable test of the system as they need to slow down the oscilation of the spring.

Steve

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Shocker test
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2007, 22:15:00 »

Mine has self-levelling rears (no idea why, it's an MV6) and they're shot so I'm just replacing them with standard shocks. Unless you regularly carry uber-heavy stuff in the boot then there's not much point really. You can just fit normal shocks and disconnect the fuse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.