Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheel Balancing  (Read 1348 times)

omegadan2.2i

• Worksop, Notts
    • View Profile
Wheel Balancing
« on: 25 June 2007, 22:55:56 »

Just a quick one about wheel balancing

Should the tyres be warm or cold prior to balancing (or does it not matter either way).

I had mine balanced a couple of months ago on my Omega, but I travelled about 10 miles to the place to have them done (hence tyres would be warm) but still feel out of balance especially when cold (first five miles).  Any ideas??

Thanx :y

Dan

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel Balancing
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2007, 08:50:43 »

The quality of the wheel balancing done by some places is a bit poor.

Idealy the wheel should be run at multiple speeds (two minimum) and have balance weights on both edges.

Unfortunatley some machines do not support this and balance only the cenre line of the wheel which on tyres the width of those on the Omega just doesn't cut it.

old cruiser

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2007, 08:53:25 »

are the wheel bearing ok, brakes not sticking/binding or tyres may be faulty i.e out of shape?
Cheers Pete

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2007, 09:16:37 »

The quality of the wheel balancing done by some places is a bit poor.

I was sitting in the waiting room of a fast fit tyre depot not long ago, watching the balancing machine. They were spinning the wheel up, putting a weight on where the machine advised, and lobbing the wheel on the car. Not even a second spin to see if the weight had balanced it. Certainly only at a single speed.  >:(

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

luv_my_mv6

• Northwood (London)
  • Just one thing after another
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2007, 15:47:19 »

Im sure the tyre places cock up the balancing on purpose, then the tyres wear out quicker and makes more business for em sooner  >:(

cdx25

• Plymouth, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2007, 16:09:39 »

Not heard of tyre temperature having much of an influence on balancing, if it does make a difference then its the first Ive heard of it.

More importantly is that it is balanced correctly and some shops are definitely more meticulous than others at this...  

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2007, 18:26:35 »

I tend to go to HUMPRIES part of kwik fit they seem to do a good job. Spin the wheel first to see where the weights need to be put on then spin the wheel again to check the balance. This is all done by a computer wheel balancer. Standard balancers don't do the job properly IMOP but at least with the computer ones you can see whats being done at each stage. Alway's ask if you can watch your wheels being balanced they can only say NO or YES.
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2007, 18:42:30 »

Had a spon new Astra van 'R'Reg,  8 delivery miles on the clock....   very bad front end wobble, they eventually listened to me and agreed to rebalance the two wheels...  they were originally done in the VX factory...  They were checked in front of me, they were identically out of balance, 30 g in one location and 20 g in the other, about 4 inches away from the correct point on each wheel...   They rebalanced them and problem solved....   Point being, balancing machines differ too!!!!

Does anyone remember "Static Balancing?"  That's where, a pyramid with a floating disc had the wheel placed on it, the wheel being  horizontal, watch the bubble in the middle and apply weights until dead central....  Bl00dy basic, but, pretty accurate too..

DC
Do it right, do it once................

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2007, 20:14:48 »

.....Does anyone remember "Static Balancing?"  That's where, a pyramid with a floating disc had the wheel placed on it, the wheel being  horizontal, watch the bubble in the middle and apply weights until dead central....  Bl00dy basic, but, pretty accurate too..  DC

Yup.

And the dynamic 'on the car' balancer where the fitter sat on a stool afair with a driven wheel on the front which, when held against the wheel on the car, rotated at speed and was able to find out where and how to balance the offending wheel.

Have not seen one of them for yonks......    ;D

omegadan2.2i

• Worksop, Notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2007, 20:59:52 »

are the wheel bearing ok, brakes not sticking/binding or tyres may be faulty i.e out of shape?
Cheers Pete

Wheel bearings and brakes are fine.  Tyres (as far as I am aware) are okay and I would have thought that the tyre place would have told me if they were faulty.  The only concern I did have was that it was some young 'youth' (approx 16 year old) did the balancing....

I think it sounds like a case of 'pot luck' but I will have a ring round the locals to see what their process and equipment they have and insist that they do it right (and keep taking it back until it is!).  Skilled tyre fitters who KNOW about what they are doing seem a rarity these days!

Any further suggestions (or recommended tyre places in or around Worksop or Mansfield) would be greatly received!!

Thanx  ;)

Dan

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 June 2007, 18:26:20 »

.....Does anyone remember "Static Balancing?"  That's where, a pyramid with a floating disc had the wheel placed on it, the wheel being  horizontal, watch the bubble in the middle and apply weights until dead central....  Bl00dy basic, but, pretty accurate too..  DC

Yup.

And the dynamic 'on the car' balancer where the fitter sat on a stool afair with a driven wheel on the front which, when held against the wheel on the car, rotated at speed and was able to find out where and how to balance the offending wheel.

Have not seen one of them for yonks......    ;D

You can bet HSE have put the mockers on that one....  my mate had a tyre garage, and he had one of these...   his was a 3 phase motor version and ran at 50 mph!!!!!  Thinking about it, it's a good idea, takes into account out of balance discs and everyting within a four mile radius  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Do it right, do it once................
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.