Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any recommendations for HID kits?  (Read 3452 times)

Taxi_Driver

Re: Any recommendations for HID kits?
« Reply #30 on: 22 September 2007, 21:14:27 »

You are missing the point why fast acting autolevelling is a legal requirement.  Car loading can affect the static height of beam, but bumps can affect it dynamically as well.  The autolevelling overcomes both of these.  And the failsafe is pointing right down for a reason.

If a heavily loaded halogen car approaches you, its just annoying/slightly dazzling.  If the same car with HIDs did so, due to the very intense nature of the light (similar to camera flash), it is blinding for that moment, and for a short period after.

Thats why I suggested setting lights a little lower than normal.

Absolutely! As you say, experience with halogen light is that it spills all over the road and can be quite dazzling. I don't think I would contemplate using these without projector lenses as I believe the light spill would be too dangerous for oncoming motorists.

I am merely stating my practical experiences with the lights in that with the car fitted with HID's following me, there is no glare or dazzling to the rear view. More crucially, with repeated testing coming toward the car through country lanes I haven't noticed any dazzling or blinding  I am NOT saying this is a great upgrade for everybody, just that on our particular cars, the nature of the projector lenses means the install is much safer. As you say, make sure the beam is set low and correctly aligned. Through 99% of driving this setup will be safe, the only problem is the brow of a hill or a tight left corner where ANY lights, as well as factory fitted self levelling Xenons, will cause temporary distraction.

Safer in fact than everybody that forgets to turn their main beam lights off when approaching traffic, those that leave fog lights on and the others that don't even bother to check their lights at all. Obviously, I am not trying to justify my reasons any further, merely having a beef!  ;) I must stress however that the suggested 50% brighter Philips 'Vision Plus' bulbs were TERRIBLE in use, caused LOTS of glare and emmited a 'rainbow like' spectrum at different points across the field of vision. Absolutely crap and I would not recommend to any Omega owners. VERY distracting.

TD, yes, that's the best place to mount I think. The air feed was very close but this is a reinforced hose so should be no problems regards chafing. Ooooh err missus  ;D

Interesting TB, not been 'flashed' once. Not a strictly 'accurate' indicator but it does give you an idea. A note to ALL people who have their cars laden with luggage or towing vehicles, always use the level control to drop the beam level. If HID's are used responsibly they are a very safe modification.

.....now lock me up and throw away the key  :-[

Brow of a hill or bridge for example......even self leveling leadlamps are not going to be able to dip enough.....if an oncoming car is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think you get the 'rainbow' effect at the top of beam pattern with any sorta bulb......its the nature of projectors.
I certainly had with ordinary filaments and 50% brighter Halfords bulbs.
And i still have it with the HIDS.

Tho I have taken TB's and your advice......I have put the level adjustment on no3  :y

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 September 2007, 13:47:30 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh, it should be alright set level for normal use but when you have passengers and are loaded up with luggage I would be tempted to drop them a little just to be on the safe side. Alas, we haven't been flashed yet though.

The 'rainbow' effect on these 50% philips bulbs was dreadful and really distracting for other drivers. Not just at the very 'top' of the beam pattern TD, though i've not noticed it on ours much with 6k, passing the vehicle head on was like a colour fest Dame Edna Everage would have been proud of!!! Flashed numerous times and observed everybody that we followed (at safe distance) flicking their rear view mirror. That is NOT good. The most stupid thing, the increase in light output was negligible! The HID's are MUCH safer.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 September 2007, 13:53:17 »

Oh, it should be alright set level for normal use but when you have passengers and are loaded up with luggage I would be tempted to drop them a little just to be on the safe side. Alas, we haven't been flashed yet though.
If it were me, I would be setting it lower than normal setting, just so even less chance of getting pulled.  Remember, HIDs with proper levelling, can control the intermittent high beam over bumps, heavy acceleration etc.  The retrofit ones cannot, so you run risk of dazzling on bumpy roads, or when pulling away hard.
Grumpy old man

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 September 2007, 13:57:09 »

Yep could do, you'd soon know I think if you're dazzling people. Might actually be worth having alignment checked, though the beam pattern is excellent and gives a crisp 'cut-off'.

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Somewhere near Manchester
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 September 2007, 14:02:32 »

This may be worth a watch too for those interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw
Humbugs...

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 September 2007, 14:40:22 »

Yeah, i've seen that before. Their main concern is the beam pattern (or lack of) causing glare and dazzle to other motorists. The aftermarket HID's installed in our omegas produce an identical beam pattern to the factory fit xenons found on higher spec elite models.

If I may quote my previous post, I wouldn't find them suitable for every vehicle but with the nature of the projector lenses on the omega they are safe modification. To my knowledge, there have been no MOT failures from omega drivers on here. That report is a little old now. If they were 'illegal' as stated, ebay would not sanction the sale of such kits, at the very least insisting on a warning 'for offroad use only'. It is a very grey area.

So who's gonna visit me in prison then?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 September 2007, 16:00:29 »

To my knowledge, there have been no MOT failures from omega drivers on here. That report is a little old now. If they were 'illegal' as stated, ebay would not sanction the sale of such kits, at the very least insisting on a warning 'for offroad use only'. It is a very grey area.
Its not an MOT failure (unless something wrong with static alignment or beam pattern etc).  Having an MOT does not make the car legal.  A car with 100W bulbs in should pass MOT, but is still not legal.

As to ebay - its the worlds best shop for illegal stuff.  They only pull stuff, generally, if the manufacturer complains, or if its likely to cause bad press (eg, selling people or their body parts).  Want anything that shops are not allowed to sell, first place to look is on Ebay.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #37 on: 23 September 2007, 16:40:09 »

On a previous car I used to run 100w/80w headlamp bulbs and 130w driving lights, all my cars afterwards have been worse.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23 September 2007, 17:57:56 »

On a previous car I used to run 100w/80w headlamp bulbs and 130w driving lights, all my cars afterwards have been worse.
Modern headlight styling/requirements are not  condusive to efficient illumination....
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #39 on: 23 September 2007, 18:35:09 »

Modern headlight styling/requirements are not  condusive to efficient illumination....

And Carlton lights were quite pants too!

I will be chatting to Dave and fitting a kit to mine ASAP

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23 September 2007, 18:36:19 »

Even more of an issue on yours as you tow - so you'll have soggy rear suspension.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #41 on: 23 September 2007, 18:50:54 »

Even more of an issue on yours as you tow - so you'll have soggy rear suspension.

Rarely tow when dark and I will be fixing the soggy suspension!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 September 2007, 19:00:27 »

But the silly kebab wagon you pull will soon knacker up the next set...
Grumpy old man

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23 September 2007, 19:31:40 »

Slips in an absolute treat  :y

This is the guy you want;

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZflea_mark

H1 fitment in 4300k for white, or 6000k for slightly blue  ;) Top Job.

Martin_1962

« Reply #44 on: 23 September 2007, 19:47:16 »

But the silly kebab wagon you pull will soon knacker up the next set...

Mocking is part of jealousy ;D :y

Going to get pump up ones as well.

Remember I did around 4000 - 4500 with the 2.0 and that was still OK
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 21 queries.