Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any recommendations for HID kits?  (Read 3451 times)

Taxi_Driver

Any recommendations for HID kits?
« on: 15 September 2007, 21:49:36 »

Ive just decided what im going to put towards the £100 i have in my paypal account...

Tonight bought me back to the realisation of just how bad my filament projectors are even with 50% brighter bulbs.

Tonight was the first time for months of hoofing it around country lanes in the dark.....just got in...plus when i stopped at an all night garage around the corner from me......turned the headlights of for a few mins....and one blow when i turned them back on again......so i might as well save the money on new 50% brighters bulbs and fit a HID kit  :y So anyone bought any kits off ebay and can recommend them??

Cheers

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
Re: Any recommendations for HID kits?
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2007, 22:27:25 »

What is envolved in fitting gen vx hids to you car td ie will the exsisting wire loom be capable of the extra load.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2007, 22:34:02 »

What is envolved in fitting gen vx hids to you car td ie will the exsisting wire loom be capable of the extra load.
HIDs are lower power consumption.  Ensure you understand the legalities of retro fitting HIDs.
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2007, 22:54:55 »

HIDs are lower power consumption.  Ensure you understand the legalities of retro fitting HIDs.

I know and might fail MOT for it.....but could change back over to filaments worse case.

But it seems a bit of a 'foggy' area to me.....As a manu....yes they have to fit self leveling headlamps, plus headlamp washers.
As an aftermarket upgrade.....its a bit unclear to me.... :-/

Fitting gen vx hids are not really an option.....ive looked into this before....its blooming expensive to start with....you need new headlamps....self leveling...self leveling sensors....wiring loom change etc

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2007, 23:03:47 »

I know and might fail MOT for it.....but could change back over to filaments worse case.

But it seems a bit of a 'foggy' area to me.....As a manu....yes they have to fit self leveling headlamps, plus headlamp washers.
As an aftermarket upgrade.....its a bit unclear to me.... :-/

Fitting gen vx hids are not really an option.....ive looked into this before....its blooming expensive to start with....you need new headlamps....self leveling...self leveling sensors....wiring loom change etc
Very grey area aftermarket.  Generally, cars have to obey the same rules that were in place when car was built though, so have to obey the rules on HIDs.  Whether or not you'd get pulled    :-/  unless to dazzled a copper ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2007, 23:05:03 »

But I will add, HIDs are utterly awful if they get slightly dirty - far worse than halogens get when a bit dirty, so washers are really required if you don't want to stop every 30mins on a wet November night.
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2007, 23:14:48 »

But I will add, HIDs are utterly awful if they get slightly dirty - far worse than halogens get when a bit dirty, so washers are really required if you don't want to stop every 30mins on a wet November night.

I must concur .... to this extent ... you may remember I had to change a complete HID light at very short notice .. and not inconsiderate expense !!

My old lights I had asked how to clean due to limescale build up and general wear and tear.

I can now actually see a difference when driving in the light levels from the 2 units, the brand new one is noticeably brighter, and before you ask it is not the bulb .. they don't come with bulbs so it is the bulb from the old unit.

I am now doing the 1200 grit wet/dry then t-cut/brasso every few days (and very gently !!) to try and get the old nearer to the new .. its coming .. slowly

One things for certain .. I'm not buying another unit at £155 !!!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2007, 23:16:56 »

I washed the omega today....so nice clean headlights  :y

Couldnt help notice on m4....a corsa went pass me  :o and i wasnt hanging about  ::) the mid was saying average fuel consumption...26mpg...just after a reset....to give you a clue  ;D

But the corsa's headlights were a lot brighter than mine.....so i dont think i can be any worse off

M-Tek Performance

• Intermediate Member
  • Hull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2007, 01:47:14 »

i had a pair off ebay, cost me £80.  they worked well.

i can now get them for £70 all in.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2007, 08:52:49 »

Couldnt help notice on m4....a corsa went pass me  :o and i wasnt hanging about  ::) the mid was saying average fuel consumption...26mpg...just after a reset....to give you a clue  ;D

But the corsa's headlights were a lot brighter than mine.....so i dont think i can be any worse off
Remember, there is a difference between looking brighter, and the amount of illumination they give ;)
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2007, 09:14:53 »

Remember, there is a difference between looking brighter, and the amount of illumination they give ;)

If you talking about HID's, I know  :y

The 4300K ones give the most illumination  :y

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 September 2007, 15:24:47 »

Me again!  :y

I've recently fitted a set to facelift CD estate and they are the absolute business!  :y

Buy the 'bosch' kit (H1 fitment) from this guy...

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZfleaQ5fmarkQQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEWNQ3aMESOI

I cannot recommend highly enough and VERY fast service and EXCELLENT quality, and you'll have change from your 100 squid.

I've taken some reasonable pictures of the install but it was a piece of CAKE! The ballast box cable ties through a couple of 'ready made' holes very snugly against the radiator mounting. There is NO hacking to the original loom (takes its feed from the original bulb wires)

I plumped for the 6000k ones and yes, they are a little blue. It's been said they look really classy, I have to agree, but yes indeed, 4300K would be whiter.

I'll have to get this 'how to' up as promised but time has been tight recently.

You'll be glad to know, if your lights are correctly aligned at the moment they shouldn't cause any glare, i've checked on the 'open road'! UNLIKE the 50% philips 'vision plus' ones which were TERRIBLE for glare and didn't see much improvement in output.

All the best.  

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #12 on: 17 September 2007, 18:40:46 »

Me again!  :y

I've recently fitted a set to facelift CD estate and they are the absolute business!  :y

Buy the 'bosch' kit (H1 fitment) from this guy...

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZfleaQ5fmarkQQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEWNQ3aMESOI

I cannot recommend highly enough and VERY fast service and EXCELLENT quality, and you'll have change from your 100 squid.

I've taken some reasonable pictures of the install but it was a piece of CAKE! The ballast box cable ties through a couple of 'ready made' holes very snugly against the radiator mounting. There is NO hacking to the original loom (takes its feed from the original bulb wires)

I plumped for the 6000k ones and yes, they are a little blue. It's been said they look really classy, I have to agree, but yes indeed, 4300K would be whiter.

I'll have to get this 'how to' up as promised but time has been tight recently.

You'll be glad to know, if your lights are correctly aligned at the moment they shouldn't cause any glare, i've checked on the 'open road'! UNLIKE the 50% philips 'vision plus' ones which were TERRIBLE for glare and didn't see much improvement in output.

All the best.  

I have gone for that same Bosch kit......but not from that guy..  :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #13 on: 17 September 2007, 21:09:10 »

My preference is 6000 K ...Dont disturb the eyes as the normal halogens...

if you use the wiring via the normal headlamp sockets you need to change the 10 amp. fuses with 15 amp. types.

HID kits on start up use 13 - 14  amp. after drop..

Another alternative way is using direct connection to the battery (will not disturb fuse box)

By the way if the headlights are dirty still HIDs are better.. Unless totally blocked !

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 September 2007, 02:47:10 »

No fuses changed and no problems here  :-?

Use the standard clip/spade connectors from the H1 light feed, you won't get any problems with the 'check control' system then.  ::)

Congrats on the purchase. They are superb value for money.

Only mod required is a suitable bore hole cutting through the rubber cap on the back of the lamp holder. Cutting round a 2p piece worked a treat for me. Then cable tie the brackets for the ballast box through the 2 holes to the other side of the radiator panel, nearly invisible then and well protected.

Also, headlamp levelling works fine as well, remember to leave suitable cable inside the headlamp to allow for movement  :y Rest is plug and play.

Take your time, do it neat, Job's a carrot  ;)

P.S. Give us a shout if there's any tips or photographs you want.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.