Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Temp  (Read 3972 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Engine Temp
« on: 28 May 2007, 20:11:30 »

Who tows a sizable caravan with their Omega? What temp does your engine sit at?
I took our 'new' caravan (Lunar Delta 520/2 ... MiRO 1080kgs) out this week end for its maiden journey and have noticed that the engine temp is somewhat higher than normal. I know it's only to be expected to a degree but I now know that the red high temp warning light works!  :-?
My car's temp normally sits at about 95 deg whilst 'solo' but I noticed on Friday afternoon that it was now more like 97/98, but on the way home after a long steep(ish) hill (M65) the temp went up & up to just over 100, which is when I noticed the high temp warning lamp, it cooled down OK to 97/98 when I got on the level.
All 3 cooling fans all ran when I ran the engine up to 97/98 deg on my drive.
Any thoughts?

STMO123

Re: Engine Temp
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2007, 20:14:55 »

Did you lock the gear box down when climbing the hill?

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2007, 20:21:42 »

Give it a good Rad flush, and fill it with 50/50 red anitfreeze.
I like red cars

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2007, 20:21:44 »

I would recommend a good flushing of the coolant system to begin with.
Forte coolant flush is getting good reviews.

Then refill with 50/50 mix and see how you get on. :)
The Administrator.

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2007, 20:28:58 »

Never had that sort of cooling problem

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2007, 20:52:16 »

I didn't use Forte, but the system had a flush a few months ago using some Halfords stuff. The car was then treated to a new header tank and Vx's red anti-freeze. I'll see what happens nexy time I go out with caravan in tow.

I didn't lock the gearbox, just left it in D, and pressed resume on the cruise which took me back up to 60  ;). I must admit the the temp wasn't really what I was looking at to start with - I was watching the instantaneous fuel consumption hovering around [size=14]9 mpg[/size]  :o

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2007, 20:53:07 »

How big is yours? Oooer! ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: 28 May 2007, 20:53:25 by Andy_B »

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2007, 20:54:12 »

What speed were the 3 fans running at ? all 3 have 2 speeds low and high, at high they make a loud noise and if working will keep the engine cool even with full aircon towing a heavy cravan through France in 32 degrees.
regards
richard
richard a

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2007, 21:05:16 »

What speed were the 3 fans running at ? all 3 have 2 speeds low and high, at high they make a loud noise and if working will keep the engine cool even with full aircon towing a heavy cravan through France in 32 degrees.
regards
richard
Err? When I went back out to the car to have a play, I restarted the car and the 2 fans in front of the rad were still running slowly, while the single fan behind the rad had still to run. I ran the engine up to around 3000 rpm and watched the engine temp rise to about 97/98 deg which is when the single fan ran up. Whether the other two fans were running fast or slow I couldn't really say (I was trying to peer throught e car's grille) but there seemed to be a good airflow out from under the car.

Martin_1962

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2007, 21:24:03 »

How big is yours? Oooer! ;)  ;D

Running too cold

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2007, 22:01:17 »

When the fans are triggered by coolant temperature the two front fans should come on slow speed (will already be on if air con is running) and the single fan behind the rad should run at slow speed. The second stage, if the coolant temperature gets higher, involves the fan behind the rad. running at full speed.

The two fans in front of the rad. will only step up to maximum speed if the aircon is on and the refrigerant temperature or pressure increase beyond a certain level.

In any case, the car should not be dependant on the rad fans at 60 MPH. There's plenty of airflow to cool it, even when towing. I think the problem is more likely to be poor coolant circulation (ineffective water pump or radiator perhaps).

Bear in mind that the auto gearbox also dumps heat into the radiator and this will generate more heat when towing, especially when under heavy load in a high gear. Holding it in 3 for uphill portions will be easier on the gearbox and torque converter and also give higher engine revs and thus more flow from the coolant pump. Having said that, mine changes down into 3rd on it's own accord when towing up any significant gradient.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2007, 22:19:37 »

In any case, the car should not be dependant on the rad fans at 60 MPH. There's plenty of airflow to cool it, even when towing. I think the problem is more likely to be poor coolant circulation (ineffective water pump or radiator perhaps).
Agreed

Bear in mind that the auto gearbox also dumps heat into the radiator and this will generate more heat when towing, especially when under heavy load in a high gear. Holding it in 3 for uphill portions will be easier on the gearbox and torque converter and also give higher engine revs and thus more flow from the coolant pump. Having said that, mine changes down into 3rd on it's own accord when towing up any significant gradient.

Kevin
Yes. Although I was still in D, the gearbox was actually in 3rd - it is a very significant gradient. I'll have a good look around hoses at the week-end to see what is hot or not.
Thanks.

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2007, 06:22:07 »

I know a similar situation from last summer, the reason was a blown fuse for the fans; at least one of the fans was not running and temps went up. One of the temp sensors (dunno which) was damaged during this. No further damage done (luckily), local Opel-shop replaced the fuse and sensor, all has been in order since. I, neither the guy thi shappened to, knows the reason why the fuse was blown...

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2007, 19:50:59 »

Who tows a sizable caravan with their Omega? What temp does your engine sit at?
I took our 'new' caravan (Lunar Delta 520/2 ... MiRO 1080kgs) out this week end for its maiden journey and have noticed that the engine temp is somewhat higher than normal. I know it's only to be expected to a degree but I now know that the red high temp warning light works!  :-?
My car's temp normally sits at about 95 deg whilst 'solo' but I noticed on Friday afternoon that it was now more like 97/98, but on the way home after a long steep(ish) hill (M65) the temp went up & up to just over 100, which is when I noticed the high temp warning lamp, it cooled down OK to 97/98 when I got on the level.
All 3 cooling fans all ran when I ran the engine up to 97/98 deg on my drive.
Any thoughts?

sounds like a flow prob Andy,
We towed a Lunar delta 550/4  1120 plus all the junk swmbo loaded into it!!all round spain and the temp only got above 100 on an eleven mile climb up a humongous mountain pass both leccy fans on full speed and the viscous making a right howl third gear all the way but it was fiine on the top!!! did have me worried for a bit tho!!
mind you mine is a TD!!!
Omegatoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2007, 21:31:30 »

sounds like a flow prob Andy,
We towed a Lunar delta 550/4  1120 plus all the junk swmbo loaded into it!!all round spain and the temp only got above 100 on an eleven mile climb up a humongous mountain pass both leccy fans on full speed and the viscous making a right howl third gear all the way but it was fiine on the top!!! did have me worried for a bit tho!!
mind you mine is a TD!!!
Omegatoy

Mmm! It does then doesn't it, although 'Dr Omega' of Yahoo fame also saw his V6 in the red. It's a problem I've never had with the car before, I've not had a 'van while I've owned it. The car didn't put a foot wrong in France a few years back, the ambient was well in the 30's but the car stayed at around 95 degs. I want K549YTM back!!!! :(  ;D  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.