Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stubborn Steering Idler  (Read 893 times)

Cav9_4

• Omega Knight
  • Sutton-In-Ashfield,Notts
  • 2003 Omega 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
Stubborn Steering Idler
« on: 25 July 2007, 09:45:58 »

Hi,tried yesterday for numerous hours to remove idler from dads car,the ball type joint just wouldn't budge,ive got a scissor type seperater but the jaws aren't wide enough,is there a seperater for this job or am i just going to have to keep trying till it gives in!...Wayne

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
Re: Stubborn Steering Idler
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2007, 09:52:57 »

Ive not found a separator that fits the idler arm ball joint.
With the arm separated from the bracket, move the arm so it lies along the centre tie rod. Find a way of putting the joint under load....I have a tapered bit of wood which taps into the gap nicely. Now get a pair of hammers and get in a position where you can strike both sides of the pin socket simultaneously, try a few practice taps to get your aim and timing and make sure you wont clout anything else like an lambda sensor etc then go for it.
The shock should free the ball joint taper but it has to have some load on it first...hence the bit of wood.

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2007, 09:54:16 »

Hi,tried yesterday for numerous hours to remove idler from dads car,the ball type joint just wouldn't budge,ive got a scissor type seperater but the jaws aren't wide enough,is there a seperater for this job or am i just going to have to keep trying till it gives in!...Wayne

Have you treid spraying some penetrating oil onto it first? If you have then just keep trying if it still won't break then wack it with a hammer, that should sort it out.
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

Cav9_4

• Omega Knight
  • 2003 Omega 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2007, 10:07:54 »

Hi,thanks for replies,put penetrating oil on,also had it underload whilst clouting it....did my own  a few years back and it didn't take long at all!....i'll just keep trying,...Many thanks...Wayne

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2007, 13:38:35 »

just got to wack it with a good ball pien hammer bud  :y

Cav9_4

• Omega Knight
  • 2003 Omega 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2007, 00:46:37 »

Hi,thanks for all help/advice regarding the idler,done it today and took around 30 mins!,also changed the n/s outer track rod end as that had some play,another mission that was!,slackened off the clamp sprayed some penetrating oil around it then tried to turn it only started to turn the inner one (which was still clamped)...got it off in the end,decided to take some measurements and dismantle the whole lot,regreased then reassembled,also did o/s side so when it goes to be tracked everything should be nice and free...thanks again everyone...Wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.