Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: v6 Cam Cover Gaskets  (Read 1176 times)

Cav9_4

• Omega Knight
  • Sutton-In-Ashfield,Notts
  • 2003 Omega 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
v6 Cam Cover Gaskets
« on: 25 July 2007, 10:58:18 »

Hi,sent autovaux an email monday regarding cam cover gaskets,their price is £37.01 all in for both banks and O rings,they tell me they are Elring,anyone tried these?...or will it be a waste of time and just go for the genuine ones...thanks...Wayne

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: v6 Cam Cover Gaskets
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2007, 10:59:58 »

Hi,sent autovaux an email monday regarding cam cover gaskets,their price is £37.01 all in for both banks and O rings,they tell me they are Elring,anyone tried these?...or will it be a waste of time and just go for the genuine ones...thanks...Wayne
Go for genuine...

(autovaux do seem to be moving away from genuine parts, even if they promise genuine)
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2007, 12:08:51 »

I paid about £55 for Genuine Vauxhall Cam Cover Gaskets, and O rings... while your there though get the gasket sealer too. Mark gives a list of Part Numbers as well as the how to do guide.
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152564281

:y :y
« Last Edit: 25 July 2007, 12:11:42 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2007, 12:23:22 »

Definitely use genuine ones. The others will fail in a month or two. Make sure vx give you BLACK sealant and not grey! It should be in a small white toothpaste type tube.

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2007, 13:35:01 »

genuine only bud you will be fiting pattern parts forever !! and as ronnie says make sure you get the black sealant and clean your breather syestem out propley  :y

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2007, 16:49:50 »

I bought some of these before I became enlightened on here (honest ;D).   So far (3 months on) they are ok.
They needed some surgery to fit though which was a bit alarming.   (Each bank consists of 2 loops - 1 per cam - and the Elring ones had bridging bits in between the loops which needed cutting)

They no doubt told you that Elring supply the Vx ones.   I don't know if that is true or not, but am told that the Vx ones come as separate loops - no cutting.

Especially as £37 is no giveaway, I would go for the Vx ones - get trade if you can (don't think they are on TC..?)

Remember the orings,  and definitely clean the breathers out while you are doing the job.

Cav9_4

• Omega Knight
  • 2003 Omega 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2007, 16:55:30 »

Hi & thanks for all your replies....not sure i can get trade,is it a big saving,anyone localish to me get trade prices?

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2007, 17:00:28 »

If you are going to buy a lot, its worth joining one of the clubs such as Autobarnstormers who provide Trade Club with membership.   Many things are a great deal eg oil, antifreeze etc.

Also if you do buy from Autovaux,  they will give you 10%? discount for being a member here.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 July 2007, 18:47:10 »

They no doubt told you that Elring supply the Vx ones.   I don't know if that is true or not, but am told that the Vx ones come as separate loops - no cutting.
The genuine ones need no modification, hence not the same as the elring ones they are selling.
Grumpy old man

Cav9_4

• Omega Knight
  • 2003 Omega 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2007, 17:58:53 »

Hi,my dad rung me not 5 mins ago and asked me if i can do his gaskets in the morning...he's off to Old Trafford wednesday and wants to give his car a run before they head off to Newquay friday,question is will these be stock items there,i do have a local dealer (pentagon,Mansfield) or could go to pentagon at Arnold which isn't to far....just hope i don't have to order...thanks...Wayne

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2007, 18:53:09 »

Cam cover gaskets GM are definately not Elring....  though Elring do supply some gaskets to GM..

DC
Do it right, do it once................
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.