Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lowering my 3.0 elite  (Read 866 times)

maddy

• derby
    • View Profile
lowering my 3.0 elite
« on: 30 July 2007, 14:10:49 »

hi sorry if i sound like a pain but after getting my quotes and booking my car in for a full cambelt change and full service (loadsa pound notes).  i would like to cheer myself up by sorting the looks out a bit by lowering the car by 25mm or so. looking at fitting some mv6 alloys on so would like to avoid any fouling probs and maintain comfort and hadling. dose any know of a good make and model of spring which i could look at.   i see there are loads out there but am sure some are a lot better and a lot worse than others.....any help would be great....

mv6copcar

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex, Halstead
    • View Profile
Re: lowering my 3.0 elite
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2007, 16:11:32 »

i lowered mine by 55mm front and 60mm rear, tock off the 17''s and put 16''s on, it looks and handles like a different car. the springs are from PI and cost me £110 delivered inc VAT. so not too bad.
Good Luck,
ps how much are you paying for the cam belt to be done??

Redtop180

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2007, 18:35:42 »

Hiya mate. I have 40mm jamex springs in my 2.5 and they are a great job. If you wana go really low i could suggest putting 40mm cavalier springs in the rear (most of the rear springs on earlier vauxhalls are a similar set-up ) of the car and she will sit on the deck!! ;)

My car sits nice on the 40mm springs and im running 17's on 235/45/17 tyres with no rubbing/arch fouling probs wotsover!! I tried the cavalier springs in the rear and you otta have seen the car, not very practical and prob harsh ride but they looked the bizz!! :)

Kevin

meaney

• newry. Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2007, 00:52:40 »

im also looking to lower my elite, how will the rear air suspension cope with the lower and stiffer springs ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2007, 22:24:39 »

im also looking to lower my elite, how will the rear air suspension cope with the lower and stiffer springs ?
not well.
Grumpy old man

Redtop180

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2007, 15:12:13 »

:-? Hmmmmmm dont think the air suspension will cope well with aftermarket lowered suspension mate, ud needa ask vauxhall technician about that one..... 8-)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2007, 15:18:15 »

Air suspension will always be trying to maintain the "correct" ride height. Put lower springs in and it'll try to pump up the shocks to correct it. It may manage this, in which case the car won't be lowered and the shocks and levelling system will be under a lot of strain, or it will burn out the levelling compressor or do other damage.

Only possibility is that you could perhaps adjust the level it's trying to achieve by modifying the levelling sensor mounting or getting in with a Tech 2. Don't know. You'd be better off just ditching the whole system.

If you've got stiffer springs do you need the levelling system?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2007, 12:40:16 »

Fitted Eibachs to the estate which has self levelling. The levelling only kicks in when you have sufficient weight in the back for the sensor to be activated - 3 full size adults in the rear was the indicated trigger point for the sensor.

As for the compressor working more it is unlikely that this will happen if you keep the drop at about 30mm which will then allow you some leeway in loading up he back of the car without activating the system.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 17 queries.