Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2i petrol - need a new CAT! (Miaow!)  (Read 1431 times)

omegadan2.2i

• Worksop, Notts
    • View Profile
2.2i petrol - need a new CAT! (Miaow!)
« on: 22 August 2007, 20:53:44 »

Had it confirmed today on good authority that my cat is breaking up!! (as I suspected) >:(

I am convinced that this has been caused by driving through recent floodwaters, the water cooling the outer casing quickly hence 'crushing' the outer edge of the expanded ceramic monolith causing fracture!! :( :(

So, a couple of questions before I get it fixed:

1)  Am I best to get a genuine GM replacement OR is a pattern equivalent as good (these seem to range from about £100+ VAT on the net).  If the GM original is the way to go, how much are these on TC?

2)  Could I use a secondhand one off a scrapper (which would save me money) or is this false economy?  I have been on the www.breakeryard.com and registered my details and I have been offered on for £100+ VAT.  I have also been offered one from this guy for £65 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140147347080&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:UK:11

3)  Is the cat part of the front pipe or is it a separate bit?  The bloke at ATS seemed think that it came 'all in one' as part of the downpipe.

4) Is there a difference between the one fitted to Y22XE and Z22XE (mine is Z22XE)?

Any advice/help would be greatly received!! ;D

Thanx

Dan

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2i petrol - need a new CAT! (Miaow!)
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2007, 08:50:30 »

1) Yes, genuine is the way to go

2) Cats very rarely fail (on Vx's anyway) so a second hadn part is a good option.

3) The cat is part of the front pipe

4) Both parts are the same for both engine types

omegadan2.2i

• Worksop, Notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2007, 21:46:23 »

Thanks for this info Mark! :y  I have decided that I am going to go with the secondhand option.  I am now going to give a few 'local' Vauxhall breakers a call and get the best price.  I am going to give these a try http://www.megavaux.co.uk http://just off J25 M1 at Sandiacre.  These seem to have a couple of 2.2's in.  I will also try AVS Vauxhall Breakers in Dunkirk and Allvox in Pye Bridge Nr. Alfreton.  Have you used any of these or recommend anyone in Notts/Derbys?

Cheers

Dan

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2007, 21:53:26 »

You might want to try these  ... I've not used them for meega parts, but have for ford/renault stuff with reasonable success

www.partsgateway.co.uk

You have to register but its free and I've never had any spam off them at all

Vauxhall Omega

• Chester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2007, 22:54:39 »

Dont whatever you do get an aftermarket cat, unless you want your car to sound as rough as Hell. I speak from experience :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2007, 08:41:20 »

I haev used both the Nottingham breakers.

Megavaux are more likely to have the part as they are MUCH bigger than AVS.

With Megavaux, they remove the part for you....with AVS, negotitate a price before you remove the part as they can be right crooks!

Also quote the price of a pattern replacement to them if they try to charge to much!

omegadan2.2i

• Worksop, Notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2007, 09:14:46 »

I haev used both the Nottingham breakers.

Megavaux are more likely to have the part as they are MUCH bigger than AVS.

With Megavaux, they remove the part for you....with AVS, negotitate a price before you remove the part as they can be right crooks!

Also quote the price of a pattern replacement to them if they try to charge to much!

That's useful info Mark, thanks.  I think I will give AVS a miss!!  Megavaux have a good website and they have several 2.2's in (with pictures) so I am more likely to get one from them.

Dan

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2007, 23:09:30 »

I had the same problem a while back, although i bought a aftermarket cat like a tw*t!

I also went down the same road and tried to buy a 2nd hand cat from AVS, MegaVaux and a whole host of breakers in the yellow pages, all said they chop the cats off and flog them to a company that comes to collect.  I understand that they ship them overseas and they are re-manufactured???

Anyhow, i managed to get one from a private breaker on ebay.  This is your best bet!

Cheers
M
[size=18]Project LP6 has landed![/size]
[size=12]DIY LPG now finally complete!! Whoo hoo.[/size]

omegadan2.2i

• Worksop, Notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2007, 23:21:33 »

I had the same problem a while back, although i bought a aftermarket cat like a tw*t!

I also went down the same road and tried to buy a 2nd hand cat from AVS, MegaVaux and a whole host of breakers in the yellow pages, all said they chop the cats off and flog them to a company that comes to collect.  I understand that they ship them overseas and they are re-manufactured???

Anyhow, i managed to get one from a private breaker on ebay.  This is your best bet!

Cheers
M

Hmm, bit of a bummer that!!  I will try eBay then - there was a guy breaking one so I will contact him.

Thanx!

Dan

omegadan2.2i

• Worksop, Notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2007, 17:59:39 »

Could someone give me the Vx part number for this please???
Thanx

Dan

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2007, 23:52:47 »

Cheers
M

Hmm, bit of a bummer that!!  I will try eBay then - there was a guy breaking one so I will contact him.

Thanx!

Dan

Tis a right bummer!

I pratically begged megavaux and they still would not budge.  I think the company who buys the cats from them pay quite a bit, £70ish i think??  :o
[size=18]Project LP6 has landed![/size]
[size=12]DIY LPG now finally complete!! Whoo hoo.[/size]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.