Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suck Or Blow..........  (Read 1168 times)

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
Suck Or Blow..........
« on: 25 September 2007, 21:20:36 »

Right Chaps this is part of my Carputer Project.

I have removed my head unit as my 8inch touch screen will be living there, so I will be needing an Amp installed which I have a 320 watt 4 channel one. I was going to install it where the Bose Amp lives on the eilte but i have a LPG tank and i dont want a Very hot Amp Siting above Explosive Gas  :o :o
So I am mounting it in the Cubby Hole on the right hand side of the boot.

I would like to know what these vents are for as i know they open outwards letting air out.

I have installed Two Fans to keep the Amp Cool as I dont want it cooking in a small space as it can get upto 70 to 80 Degs

Do you think I should have the fans sucking out hot air ? or blowing cold air over the amp ?

Thanks

Craig
« Last Edit: 25 September 2007, 21:33:49 by CraigR »
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
Re: Suck Or Blow..........
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2007, 21:23:51 »

The two vents are to let out the air in the car, thus stopping it from misting up etc.....
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2007, 21:36:43 »

So you want the fans blowing.....

And make sure the amp has the heatsink fins vertical to make it cool properly.

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2007, 22:10:41 »

I was thinking blowing but all computer PSU suck hot air away from the heat source.

Doh Ill have to turn both of the fans around as they have the little blue thing in the photos a Capacitor which stops me just revercing the wires from pos to neg grrrr >:( and on the back side there is not guard to stop stuff getting into the fan blades, i guess i could make somthing out of a grill of sorts.

yep the Amp fins will be vertical as i can only mount the amp sideways up with the amp fins facing the fans not laying down because of space its a big old amp
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2007, 23:14:09 »

Hi craig, those vents are to allow the air inside the car to exit when you close the doors, if you did not have them, when you closed the doors your windows would pop due to air pressure.

Regards, Gary.
 :y
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2007, 23:22:47 »

I was thinking blowing but all computer PSU suck hot air away from the heat source.

Doh Ill have to turn both of the fans around as they have the little blue thing in the photos a Capacitor which stops me just revercing the wires from pos to neg grrrr >:( and on the back side there is not guard to stop stuff getting into the fan blades, i guess i could make somthing out of a grill of sorts.

yep the Amp fins will be vertical as i can only mount the amp sideways up with the amp fins facing the fans not laying down because of space its a big old amp

The fans will be working against the airflow through the car unless they are blowing into the cubby hole as those vents is where the air from the climate fan exits the car.

The fans will have a solid state motor in any case so reversing the supply to them is going to let the smoke out of them unfortunately ;)

Edited to say my amp is in there and it works very nicely. No fans but it doesn't get hot. There is airflow through there in most circumstances anyway. Then again my amp rarely gets thrashed.

Kevin
« Last Edit: 25 September 2007, 23:24:08 by Kevin_Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2007, 23:25:10 »

Computers suck in air from the front and blow it out the back.

Ideally you want cool air blowing into the front of the computer and hot air extracted from behind uit.

How you arrange the fans is immaterial, but what you need to ensure is that you create air flow through the computer.

So you can either use the fans to blow air into the front of the computer, suck-out air behind it, or both.

As long as the circulation takes air from outside the car before it goes through the computer and when it comes out extracts it again outside the car.

What you don't want is the air circulating inside the boot, the heat will just build-up.

« Last Edit: 25 September 2007, 23:25:21 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

tommy.h

• hyde cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2007, 05:50:40 »

vents are to allow air pressure out when windows are shut & blower is on!
so would have your fans blowing.

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2007, 12:52:44 »

Thanks Chaps Blow it is then :)
Mod's

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2007, 13:16:57 »

maplin sell grilles - see here ... you might even want to consider filtered ones here ...
« Last Edit: 26 September 2007, 13:18:38 by sounds2k »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 18 queries.