Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suspected Gearbox Fault ???  (Read 1490 times)

carper

• Yorkshire - Hecky
    • View Profile
Suspected Gearbox Fault ???
« on: 11 October 2007, 18:22:32 »

I'm a little unsure of this fault or cause  :-/. (My Omega........ 2.0 GLS Auto Facelift)

This afternoon I have done a round trip of about 80 motorway miles, no problems. I parked the car with no problems, then after about 10 minutes, I started her up to go back out, on start up, it revved/ticked over alot quicker than normal, and after a little rev, she seemed to tick over back to normal. Now the thing is, when I engage drive, it seems to engage with a bit of a thud, and the car nudges forward (more than normal) and when I put it back into park, it again will disengage with abit of a thud, and nudge backwards (again more than normal). It's never done this before, no warning lights are lit, and she drives normal as always, but at a junction or stopped at lights, sometimes it does the above, sometimes not. Any help or advice please.  :(

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
Re: Suspected Gearbox Fault ???
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2007, 18:42:04 »

personally i would start with the normal level checks, gearbox oil may need changing.

I remember reading somewhere that it should be done every 60K miles

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2007, 19:19:46 »

I would change the atf as a matter of course.

Its possible that the engine is revving for an unrelated reason, and the higher revs causing the thud.
Grumpy old man

carper

• Yorkshire - Hecky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2007, 19:47:03 »

Thanks for your replies guy's ;), just been out and got under with the torch. From what I can see, there's oil under and dripping from the box  :'( . I phoned the dealer on the off chance and got a reply  :o (she's still under warranty  :)) dealer advice......... dont drive it (in order to avoid any damage) (I already gathered that) but ! to get it down to them in the morning, Erm!!!!!! How ????, I'll tackle that one when I get up. Atleast the visual of oil is a start/clue, I'll leave it up to them, hope it's sorted sooner rather than later.

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2007, 19:56:50 »

if the dealer is advising not to drive can they not offer to pick the car up and recover it back to the garage for you?

Otherwise do you have AA/RAC?

carper

• Yorkshire - Hecky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2007, 20:55:05 »

if the dealer is advising not to drive can they not offer to pick the car up and recover it back to the garage for you?

Otherwise do you have AA/RAC?

Bit of a funny one that jay w  ::) I used to be with the AA, but changed over to the Swinton for breakdown recovery. I've got my Insurance with the Swinton, and they offered me the same breakdown cover as the AA for half the price, so I took it. At the time, I did'nt have the Omega, had and still have Honda Civic, her indoors uses it. This will be a lesson learnt (by me), I've just been on the phone with breakdown recovery, basically asking if they could/would recover the Omega form outside my home to the dealer (2 miles), they said yes, no problem, then they said no  :o as it's the Honda that's covered not the Omega. So the lesson learnt is this....... I thought it was me (the driver) that was covered, but they say no, it's the vehicle at the time of taking out the cover, (so much for me reading the small print)  :'( I'll phone Swinton first thing in the morning and see if ther's a way round it, if not, I dont know if the dealer is obliged to recover it under the warranty  :question I dont know.

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2007, 21:52:28 »

Check yer PM bud  :y

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2007, 00:01:29 »

I wonder if you have several separate issues here that are combining..
- common erratic idling on 2.0 (needs regular breather/ICV/throttle body clean) -> causing apparent autobox symptoms?
- cam cover leak -> oil dripping (common problem)

or you could have an autobox leak and hence low fluid level (tell tale would be if the dripping oil was red).

Either way should be sorted under your warranty.  Let us know what they say..

carper

• Yorkshire - Hecky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2007, 16:34:32 »

Just got the miggy back  :) after 5 days  >:( they said it was the cam cover gasket that had gone, hence the oil running down the back of the engine and round the bell housing and dripping off the box (their words not mine). I'm not engine/technically/fault finding minded, although I was wondering how this could cause the box to act the way as explained in my first post.  :question

Tafty

• Liverpool
  • This week I am no longer the owner of a miggy!! :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2007, 16:39:41 »

I would have thought that it was unrelated - maybe they're not telling you something or fixed it as a 'putting the engine back together exercise without realising it!!!' :y

carper

• Yorkshire - Hecky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 October 2007, 17:08:53 »

I would have thought that it was unrelated - maybe they're not telling you something or fixed it as a 'putting the engine back together exercise without realising it!!!' :y

I'm not so sure  ::) although ians quoted........ - cam cover leak -> oil dripping (common problem)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.