Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auxiliary Belt shredded - Please help???  (Read 1023 times)

CyNick

• Monmouthshire
  • Car is stuck in KIDDERMINSTER!!
    • View Profile
Auxiliary Belt shredded - Please help???
« on: 21 November 2007, 03:31:34 »

Hi Guys... Help and advice would be really appreciated!!

3.0l MV6 just over 80k. Driving at about 30/40 mph lost power steering and electrics etc. Stopped immediately.

This is not the first time this happened as water pump seized at about 65k. New pump and auxiliary belt etc fitted and all seemed ok with no problem..

A good garage (but without specific knowledge of Omegas) was near. The guy cleaned the debris from the shredded belt - looks like the tensioner on the auxiliary belt failed..

Trouble is that when started, the engine now rattles and runs very noisily and he thinks that debris could have got into the cam belt and the belt could have slipped teeth (and bent valves??)..  He doesn't want to touch it further..

Anyone got any thoughts as to how likely this is?

What advice would anyone give??

How much would it cost me to get someone to check the cam belt and reposition it if necessary? What are the chances of me being lucky??

The car is in South East Wales if there are any Samaritans out there!!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Auxiliary Belt shredded - Please help???
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2007, 07:06:13 »

I would not be driving this until you are totally certain. When was the cambelt KIT last changed - within the last 40k miles?  If so, it's probably due anyway.

I do offer a cambelt changing service for the V6, and I regularly travel through monmouth/chepstow/south wales, however, very stretched at the minute, and you would become number three in the queue :)

Whoever does the work, make sure they use the appropriate locking kit!

Cheers
James

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2007, 08:53:09 »

Hi Guys... Help and advice would be really appreciated!!

3.0l MV6 just over 80k. Driving at about 30/40 mph lost power steering and electrics etc. Stopped immediately.

This is not the first time this happened as water pump seized at about 65k. New pump and auxiliary belt etc fitted and all seemed ok with no problem..

A good garage (but without specific knowledge of Omegas) was near. The guy cleaned the debris from the shredded belt - looks like the tensioner on the auxiliary belt failed..

Trouble is that when started, the engine now rattles and runs very noisily and he thinks that debris could have got into the cam belt and the belt could have slipped teeth (and bent valves??)..  He doesn't want to touch it further..

What advice would anyone give??

How much would it cost me to get someone to check the cam belt and reposition it if necessary? What are the chances of me being lucky??

The car is in South East Wales if there are any Samaritans out there!!

i would go along with James on this, get the belt checkd and possibly replaced as well as the tensioners.

it might be that it has jumped slightly and knocked it all out of line, but if there is mechanical knocking it needs to be checked out

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2007, 10:01:26 »

The guy cleaned the debris from the shredded belt - looks like the tensioner on the auxiliary belt failed..

Yes it's possible, happened to a member on here...
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2007, 10:46:39 »

Yes, we have seen shredded aux belts cause cambelt damage...
Grumpy old man

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2007, 12:24:59 »

Remove the aux belt and start-up to check if the noise is from water pump / power steering / aircon / alternator. (dont run it for too long, there wont be any coolant circulating)
If noise is still present then its likely that part of the old belt did between the camcover and the backplate and has caused the cambelt to slip some teeth, valve damage is a distinct possibility, seen it before unfortunately.  :'(

CyNick

• Monmouthshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2007, 12:47:19 »

Hi James...

Thank you for this.. If you can come could you let me know?

Engine has been started and run for a very brief time without Aux belt and the noise sounds like it's from the engine.. The car is currently without the aux belt as it isn't worth a new one till I know for sure what's wrong.

The cam belt was last changed at 47k so is due anyway.

I would love someone who knows Omegas (except main dealers that is) to look at this and diagnose..

The cam belt is in place and not broken but may have jumped teeth? Is it difficult/possible to realign the old cam belt and listen to the engine before forking out for new parts?

The car is in Cwmbran (Monmouthshire) area and I would be very grateful to anyone who could come to look at this. (There is a small possibility to put it on a trailer and transport - if this would help?)

Thank you all..

NICK

I would not be driving this until you are totally certain. When was the cambelt KIT last changed - within the last 40k miles?  If so, it's probably due anyway.

I do offer a cambelt changing service for the V6, and I regularly travel through monmouth/chepstow/south wales, however, very stretched at the minute, and you would become number three in the queue :)

Whoever does the work, make sure they use the appropriate locking kit!

Cheers
James

CyNick

• Monmouthshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2007, 15:28:15 »

Thanks Matchless..

Just the news I needed this side of xmas!!   :'(

But maybe I'll be lucky eh?

NICK

Remove the aux belt and start-up to check if the noise is from water pump / power steering / aircon / alternator. (dont run it for too long, there wont be any coolant circulating)
If noise is still present then its likely that part of the old belt did between the camcover and the backplate and has caused the cambelt to slip some teeth, valve damage is a distinct possibility, seen it before unfortunately.  :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 17 queries.