Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: That Bloody Alarm!!  (Read 1259 times)

Twiddlejockey

• Birmingham
    • View Profile
That Bloody Alarm!!
« on: 23 November 2007, 16:13:26 »

Here's a new one on me.

Just as I'm admiring the shocked face of the chav in the finned-up Peogeot 106 as that 'Grandad' car (my MV6) pulls away from him, the alarm goes off for no apparent reason!

stopping and pressing buttons on the key fob has no effect.  The alarm still goes on for 30 seconds or so without the indicators flashing.  Sometimes, it even gives a few beeps on start up just to tease me.

Those that already know I'm the unluckiest Omega owner there is (new cam gaskets, plugs, coil, cat, leads etc in last 6 weeks) might put it down to the fianl screams of mercy from her, but is there a practical reason?

More importantly, how do I disable the alarm???
« Last Edit: 23 November 2007, 16:14:10 by Twiddlejockey »

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
Re: That Bloody Alarm!!
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2007, 16:19:33 »

power sounder is knacked

just unplug it its under the scuttle on the drivers side its the black square power sounder you need to unplug not the round flat horn one
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Twiddlejockey

• Birmingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2007, 16:32:57 »

Thanks for such a quick response!

Trouble is, I'm not too embarrased to ask 'What is a scuttle??'  ;D :-[

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2007, 16:35:36 »

Its the black bit of plastic attached to the wind screen rubber at the bottom of the windscreen, if you lift the rubber you will see plastic screws turn them all and pop off the scuttle, Oh you will have to remove the wind screen wipers first the caps pop off and then undo the nuts and off they come
« Last Edit: 23 November 2007, 16:36:32 by CraigR »
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Twiddlejockey

• Birmingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2007, 16:37:38 »

Many thanks.

Not really knowing one end of screwdriver from the other, I'll try in the morning when it's light!!!!
« Last Edit: 23 November 2007, 16:37:58 by Twiddlejockey »

tomoco

• Omega Knight
  • leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2007, 17:06:06 »

Hi Twiddlejockey... just a note to say that when you unplug it expect the dam thing to sound off for a while until the batteries in it drain (mine lasted about half an hour). Also, when its finished dying set your alarm off (use the bonnet switch) just to make sure that the round flat horn(the one you left connected) still works.Mine was duff. About 15 quid from VX.

Hope this helps
Mark

mkaminski100

• Basingstoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2007, 17:37:05 »

Is it estate or saloon? I've disconnected my powersounder and it was faulty rear window sensor that was causing problems (brown line on the window with 2 leads) If yours is an estate, then just try to disconnect it.
Don't buy a second hand powersounder. It fails after few years so it's not worth to pay even 10 pounds for it. I have two and both are knackered and there's no way to fix it .

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2007, 19:29:29 »

What is the best way to test whether your power sounder is working or not as opposed to the ordinary alarm? And please is their a "how to " to remove the drivers side scuttle - I know about the  one on the passenger side where there is a drain hole.

Thanks
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Twiddlejockey

• Birmingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 November 2007, 16:30:39 »

Thanks for all the help guys.  I didn't get to look at it today.  She's had me moving furniture around!

I'll let you know what happens...

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2007, 12:16:54 »

What is the best way to test whether your power sounder is working or not as opposed to the ordinary alarm? And please is their a "how to " to remove the drivers side scuttle - I know about the  one on the passenger side where there is a drain hole.

Thanks

Disconnect the car battery......power sounder should go off then  :y
But make sure you have the radio/cd code first.

Only time power sounder shouldnt go off when you disconnect the battery is if you disconnect it with 15secs of turning off the ignition  :y

Terry_Seyforth

• Great Yarmouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2007, 12:48:13 »

You think your the unluckiest omega owner, Im telling you this so you may feel a bit better about your problems.
SO ! I bought my omega about 6 weeks ago, the 2.6 vs 2002, oh it looked ok, the first thing I noticed when driving home, I arrived to a smell of oil burning, the filler bottle was overflowing with traces of oil in the water, noooooo, drained the water, refilled and put rad weld, also oil seal in the oil, yes prob not the best thing to do,been told it could be the oil cooler problem, sensor on exhaust started indicating the orange light on dash, was told to buy new, and fit on N/S, yes I done this £80, no the light didnt go out, luckily I didnt destroy the one I took off, I found out he told me wrong side, after many burns later from the exhaust, what next, oh found out the car was cat D write off, my insurance company wont insure me!!, cd player stopped working, having to buy false facia and put new player in. The car had a dent in the boot, car was a little cheaper for this reason, so got one of ebay, same colour, great £60 for the boot, it arrived boxed very well, so didnt ask the courier to wait to check, yes you guessed it the two pointy corners were bent over and a crease in one side, seller didnt want to know because i didnt check it when it arrived. Oh and this ones a good one, I had the car one week, been working away so didnt insure because my partner was using our old car, got home, thought just take it for a quick spin up the round to charge the battery, plus was excited about having new car, 100 yards up road heard a ping on the windscreen, another car had thrown a couple of stones at the screen, two cracks and a couple of stone chips grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
bought some windowscreen repair, put on cracks, bloody resin didnt go off, filled crack but dont really know if done job.
window wipers crap new ones, oh and was told cam belt done 60.000 miles, phoned the company that was on quote,not receipt, err yes its been done, didnt trust, new cam belt and pullies, £210, the machanic said never been done, oh new filler bottle cap, old one no rubber.  to top it off the fooooooooking alarm keeps going off, all last night up and other night, just removing the battery fuses all the time now grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  want to keep alarm, trying to find out which is causing it though, bloody hard as there are so many on these cars grrrrrrrrr over engineered, or did they do this for a reason, as the parts are blooody dear grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
anyways good luck  ;D
tried boot, not that, just removed light in center front, just waiting, not sure if sensor in here, think so.
DOH!!

Twiddlejockey

• Birmingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 November 2007, 14:58:37 »

I stand corrected, Terry

I'll no longer tempt fate!! ;D

STMO123

« Reply #12 on: 25 November 2007, 21:47:00 »

You think your the unluckiest omega owner, Im telling you this so you may feel a bit better about your problems.
SO ! I bought my omega about 6 weeks ago, the 2.6 vs 2002, oh it looked ok, the first thing I noticed when driving home, I arrived to a smell of oil burning, the filler bottle was overflowing with traces of oil in the water, noooooo, drained the water, refilled and put rad weld, also oil seal in the oil, yes prob not the best thing to do,been told it could be the oil cooler problem, sensor on exhaust started indicating the orange light on dash, was told to buy new, and fit on N/S, yes I done this £80, no the light didnt go out, luckily I didnt destroy the one I took off, I found out he told me wrong side, after many burns later from the exhaust, what next, oh found out the car was cat D write off, my insurance company wont insure me!!, cd player stopped working, having to buy false facia and put new player in. The car had a dent in the boot, car was a little cheaper for this reason, so got one of ebay, same colour, great £60 for the boot, it arrived boxed very well, so didnt ask the courier to wait to check, yes you guessed it the two pointy corners were bent over and a crease in one side, seller didnt want to know because i didnt check it when it arrived. Oh and this ones a good one, I had the car one week, been working away so didnt insure because my partner was using our old car, got home, thought just take it for a quick spin up the round to charge the battery, plus was excited about having new car, 100 yards up road heard a ping on the windscreen, another car had thrown a couple of stones at the screen, two cracks and a couple of stone chips grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
bought some windowscreen repair, put on cracks, bloody resin didnt go off, filled crack but dont really know if done job.
window wipers crap new ones, oh and was told cam belt done 60.000 miles, phoned the company that was on quote,not receipt, err yes its been done, didnt trust, new cam belt and pullies, £210, the machanic said never been done, oh new filler bottle cap, old one no rubber.  to top it off the fooooooooking alarm keeps going off, all last night up and other night, just removing the battery fuses all the time now grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  want to keep alarm, trying to find out which is causing it though, bloody hard as there are so many on these cars grrrrrrrrr over engineered, or did they do this for a reason, as the parts are blooody dear grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
anyways good luck  ;D
tried boot, not that, just removed light in center front, just waiting, not sure if sensor in here, think so.

I'm afraid you bought one with little or no maintenance done Terry. Omegas, like most other cars, are fine, if properly maintained. Hard luck mate.

Terry_Seyforth

• Great Yarmouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2007, 11:00:16 »

More bad luck  ;D :'(
DOH!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 18 queries.