Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MV6 3.2 exhausts!  (Read 1788 times)

DJ_Brian

• Horsham, West Sussex
    • View Profile
MV6 3.2 exhausts!
« on: 08 November 2007, 13:51:51 »

I'm finding out this car is costing!!!!  My rear section of the exhaust has corroded, meaning I need everything from the cats onwards.  Being a 3.2 estate, I'm finding it difficult to find a good price.  My local garage want £450.

Am I better off getting a stainless steel jobbie made up?  Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Brian

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
Re: MV6 3.2 exhausts!
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2007, 13:53:43 »

You will find a big saving if you have a Trade Card.

Taxi Driver got my Exhaust Cat Back and saved me about 70 or 80 quid with his TC

Oh and mine is only a 4 pot 2litre so it was only one mid section and one back box, You having a v6 will be 2 mids and one back box
« Last Edit: 08 November 2007, 13:56:21 by CraigR »
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2007, 13:55:45 »

I'm finding out this car is costing!!!!  My rear section of the exhaust has corroded, meaning I need everything from the cats onwards.  Being a 3.2 estate, I'm finding it difficult to find a good price.  My local garage want £450.

Cheers,
Brian
With Vauxhall trade Club it's about £300.00 inc'vat, I don't have the book with me at the mo, but I know it's around that mark for 2 middle sections and a rear box :y
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2007, 13:58:11 »

You can get a stainless made and fitted for that money......trade club works out about 280-300 for the parts including VAT.

chrisdb

• Intermediate Member
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2007, 16:26:08 »

Cheers,
Brian
With Vauxhall trade Club it's about £300.00 inc'vat, I don't have the book with me at the mo, but I know it's around that mark for 2 middle sections and a rear box :y

Eh??? A complete system for the 3.0 saloon is £800 on trade club  :-?
TC Card, will buy parts for members near by. V6 Camshaft locking kit can rent out to members at club rates.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2007, 20:25:10 »

Cheers,
Brian

Eh??? A complete system for the 3.0 saloon is £800 on trade club  :-?

Cats back is 93181163 for RHS centre section at £76.25 trade club, 90528008 for LHS centre section at £83.85, 3.2 back box not listed but if the same as the 3.0 estate, then 9157105 for year 2000 onwards at £99.70, so thats £259.80 plus VAT (as said by M_DTM) at £305.26 or so......  Prices similar for saloon, perhaps a fiver cheaper....   :y

DJ_Brian

• Horsham, West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2007, 21:43:18 »

Thanks, so £444.78 inc fitting ain't that bad then :'(

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2007, 05:39:30 »

Depends.... if you are able, rather than spend £150 on getting it fitted, get a decent jack and stands (to keep for life) and do it yourself. It's not at all tricky...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2007, 08:24:45 »

Given how easy they are to fit....its not good.

Where is that from, if its one of the fitter type places walk away (particularly Formula 1) as the quality of the parts is very poor

chrisdb

• Intermediate Member
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2007, 10:01:46 »

if its one of the fitter type places walk away (particularly Formula 1) as the quality of the parts is very poor

I agree with that!!! if it's Humphreys then run as fast as you can. They charged me £730 for a complete 3.0 system. Didn't kmow about Timax then but I do now. They had to fit a different make two weeks later. They don't believe in gaskets there. I'm getting a new Vx one fitted by someone else next week. Three systems in 2 months!
« Last Edit: 09 November 2007, 10:03:53 by chrisdb »
TC Card, will buy parts for members near by. V6 Camshaft locking kit can rent out to members at club rates.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2007, 10:06:59 »

if its one of the fitter type places walk away (particularly Formula 1) as the quality of the parts is very poor

I agree with that!!! if it's Humphreys then run as fast as you can. They charged me £730 for a complete 3.0 system. Didn't kmow about Timax then but I do now. They had to fit a different make two weeks later. They don't believe in gaskets there. I'm getting a new Vx one fitted by someone else next week. Three systems in 2 months!

The Walkers system fitted to my V reg lasted less than 2 years and cost more than a genuine one (on trade club).....this was Formula 1 auto centres.

The quality of the fit was appaling and the part that failed was the baffles......on all three sections!

The V6 system does not use gaskets (excpet on the front pipe/cat to manifold join).

It is important to make sure the front pipe to centre section flange is nice and clean and I use a smear of good quality jointing compond to. You also want new stainless steel bolts for the centre section to cat joints (4 off) which are M8 by about 40mm from memory.

Then you need a smear of jointing compund for the centre section to back box joints to.

The hardest thing about doing a V6 exhaust is undoing the centre section to cat bolts, sometimes they snap off (if crap bolts have been used last time) and the worst case scenario s that they need drilling out howver, I have always managed to remove the buggers with some heat, some rust flash spray, a good clean with a wire brush and molegrips if this happens so its worth advising any fitter to heat the bolts up before trying to remove them.

Other than that its an easy job, hang the centre section on the rubbers and bolt them loosely to the cats, fit the tail section but, dont tighten the clamp.  Check its all central and not rubbing against anything (you can get quite a bit of adjustment by altering the centre to rear section joint) and then tighten it all up a bit, give it all a good shake to make sure its not fouling on anything before tightening everything fully.

Also, get some 2-3inch stainless jubilee clips and put them round the bottom of the heat shields on the cat sections to stop them rattling.

Job done.
« Last Edit: 09 November 2007, 10:15:30 by Mark »

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2007, 11:55:05 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wow! Superb advice Mark  :y

Not too pleasant I would say though without a proper ramp/pit  :-/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2007, 12:01:04 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wow! Superb advice Mark  :y

Not too pleasant I would say though without a proper ramp/pit  :-/

Lol, I do it with the passenger side on axle stands ( ::))....not to hard to do.

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 November 2007, 12:03:06 »

Tip top! Mucho respecto!  ;D

dippydave

• Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
  • how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2007, 16:27:46 »

i've had several fitters tell me the omega aint an easy job at all, and some would rather say no!

it's all madness in the exhaust world. I've just been quoted £328+vat just for the two centre boxes and rear box (so plus bits, bobs and fitting) from Vauxhall. albeit non trade club.

Kwik-fit quoted £263.10 all in, using Timax stuff - which is what buypartsby would deliver to me for £140.10. So thats a happy £123 for their fitting, hand scraping et al!

My previous Omega had a Bosal system - can get that delivered for £165 from leisureshack - it sounded awesome too!

seems daft to go to vauxhall, for that money indeed Powerflow will do a stainless catback system! shiny!
Confused much! :-/
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.