Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 2001 2.2CD thermostat  (Read 1170 times)

jimbo_GSXR

• Surrey
  • 2001 2.2 CD auto
    • View Profile
Omega 2001 2.2CD thermostat
« on: 14 December 2007, 08:21:28 »

Hi All,

My Omega is running cool - on a motorway run it sits at about 75 - around town upto 80.
Is this a sign that the thermostat is playing up, and if so how difficult is it to change (where is it!?).

Many thanks,

Jimbo
I look out side, it's cold and wet.... I think today the heated seats of the Omega win, the Gixxer is staying in the Garage...

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: Omega 2001 2.2CD thermostat
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2007, 08:23:53 »

It could be.

When was the last time the rad was flushed?

Are you running on genuine Vx red antifreeze?
I like red cars

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2007, 08:26:57 »

Mine runs at exactly the same temperature. Doesn't seem to affect anything else and the heater is nice and warm. I flushed the coolant and changed for red anti-freeze about three weeks ago.

What are the implications of the engine running at this temperature??
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

jimbo_GSXR

• Surrey
  • 2001 2.2 CD auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2007, 08:51:00 »

As far as I know it has never been flushed. The coolant is a nice red colour so i assume its Vx red?
I look out side, it's cold and wet.... I think today the heated seats of the Omega win, the Gixxer is staying in the Garage...

bigall

• merseyside
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2007, 08:52:21 »

Is this with aircon on?
Just asking cus with aircon on the fan at front of radiator is on cooling condensor and radiator at same time. Switch to econ mode and see if temp of engine rises. Mine with heating OFF or econ off runs at 80 -85 but with heater/aircon on runs in the 70's
I drive a moneypit Omega - at least its comfortable!!!!!  200k approaching rapidly!!!!!!!!! "") (must change oil soon)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2007, 08:53:19 »

Mine runs at a pretty constant 85, give or take a degree or two, regardless of the type of driving, time of year etc.

I like red cars

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2007, 13:37:58 »

is your air-con icey cold (hard to tell now! but was it in the summer?)

Ever since i had the condensor replaced on mine, the temp went up the norm 85, before mine was running cool, barley going above 80.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2007, 21:34:46 »

The thermostat is at the back of the engine - only accessible from underneath.

I had mine changed last year and recall the mechanic complaining he got soaked getting it out.

Only cost £30 inc labour so seeing as it's cold I'd pay again  :y
« Last Edit: 14 December 2007, 21:35:07 by Chopsdad »
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2007, 22:24:12 »

As above, but... don't overlook the possibility of a faulty gauge or sender.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 December 2007, 14:56:26 »

Mine runs at zero...nada...zilch...nowt...nufink degrees.
Has done for the last month. Only gets up to low 70's after about a half mile run uphill.  
Interior vents blowing warmish after about a mile and operate at normal temp not long after. All seems fine...except the temp guage reading.

I thought thermostat,  but why does it show COLD, even after 60mph for 10 miles+, even in mild conditions, and only moving to show a 70ish reading after an uphill run.    
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 December 2007, 17:01:21 »

Mine runs at zero...nada...zilch...nowt...nufink degrees.
Has done for the last month. Only gets up to low 70's after about a half mile run uphill.  
Interior vents blowing warmish after about a mile and operate at normal temp not long after. All seems fine...except the temp guage reading.

I thought thermostat,  but why does it show COLD, even after 60mph for 10 miles+, even in mild conditions, and only moving to show a 70ish reading after an uphill run.    

Mine temp gauge reads about the same, barely moves after say a 4 mile journey and sits at around 70-75 thereafter whatever speed distance I travel. No problems with heating or aircon, they work fine.

Mick

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 December 2007, 19:38:06 »

When I say it hits low 70's after an uphill run, as soon as it's driving down hill or even level ground it drops down to zero again.

I just don't want to waste 20 squids on a new thermostat and still have the same problem.

I suppose I could get a new thermostat, take things apart, test the original and if it's not faulty, take the new one back for credit or a refund. I just hate disturbing things for no reason.
I work along the lines of "If it ain't broken...don't fix it !"
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #12 on: 16 December 2007, 22:25:14 »

Mine runs at a pretty constant 85, give or take a degree or two, regardless of the type of driving, time of year etc.

Since the cold snap.....mines been dropping to just above 80 on a run, 85 is normal for it......going to 90 letting it idle for some time or in traffic, cooling fan cuts in around 90.

75 is a tad cold imo .....has it just started doing this...ie is this normal for it.

But you usually get a lot lower temp for a stuck open thermostat......and it takes ages to get outa the blue zone. Only really getting anywhere normal temp if in traffic

Are you anywhere near TheBoy or MarksDTM......they both have tech2's (real ones) and could check what the ECU thinks the coolant temp is.......i recall another member with a 3.0 V6, his temp was reading high all the time by about 5C.......turned out the intruments wernt set for a 3.0 V6.....

Edit*.....Just noticed your in Surrey........so no you arent  :(
« Last Edit: 16 December 2007, 22:27:20 by Taxi_Driver »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 December 2007, 22:40:28 »

If you suspect a faulty thermostat, start it from cold and feel the top radiator hose as it warms up. It should barely get warm until the engine reaches normal running temperature (check by feeling the pipes to the heater matrix, which will be warming up with the engine). Once the engine gets to normal temperature the top hose should suddenly get very hot. If it heats gradually it's an indication that the thermostat isn't closing properly or is opening very early.

Expect the engine to run a few degrees cooler in freezing weather and it will take a few minutes longer to heat up, but you should hit 80-85 degrees after the first 3 or 4 miles if all is well, IME.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

jimbo_GSXR

• Surrey
  • 2001 2.2 CD auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2007, 10:40:51 »

Thanks for the advice all.

I will try the test of starting from cold and feeling the top radiator hose tomorrow morning.

It does seem to be bit warmer (80ish) when stationary/driving around town but as soon as I get on the motorway - it drops straight down to a steady 75 and stays there.

Will report back tomorrow!

Jimbo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.