Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rubber Seals on sills  (Read 1064 times)

Mike_T

• Trimley Nr Felixstowe
    • View Profile
Rubber Seals on sills
« on: 15 December 2007, 18:37:57 »

Hi. Have any of you had trouble with the seals that are fitted to the sills ? They trap water on my car and in some areas show signs of rust appearing from behind.
I was wondering if they could be removed but would the car become more noisy ?
I would be grateful for any help.
Mike.

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
Re: Rubber Seals on sills
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2007, 23:03:11 »

Had the same on mine. They are a total pain to remove as they appear to be glued on. I reckon it'd look pretty naff if they were removed.

I had a large rust bubble repaired locally and it looks fine now.

I would have thought that the car would let in water if that was removed as well??
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2007, 23:10:48 »

The seals are only clipped on and can be removed in a few mins.  I take mine off a few times a year to examine rust and clean thoroughly.  Rust is just starting to appear now so i'll be stripping and re-painting next year i guess.  I did a v good job on my last GLS with some GM spray cans.

[size=18]Project LP6 has landed![/size]
[size=12]DIY LPG now finally complete!! Whoo hoo.[/size]

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2007, 23:15:33 »

The seals are only clipped on and can be removed in a few mins.  I take mine off a few times a year to examine rust and clean thoroughly.  Rust is just starting to appear now so i'll be stripping and re-painting next year i guess.  I did a v good job on my last GLS with some GM spray cans.

Where do you unclip it then? I tried to remove it myself and despite poking around with screwdrivers and other flat bladed implements of destruction, I couldn't get the thing to move. I was informed that it was stuck on and that heat may soften the adhesive.  :-?
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2007, 23:23:24 »

Starting at the rear arch, pinch the end of the seal very hard and pull, it takes a bit of brute force and ignorance but you do not need to use any blades!  You should hear and feel a snap when it's release from the first stud.  You'll need to remove it from about 8 studs running the length of the car into the front wing.

Once it's off i give the seal a good clean and wipe it over with a little WD.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2007, 23:23:50 »

Where do you unclip it then? I tried to remove it myself and despite poking around with screwdrivers and other flat bladed implements of destruction, I couldn't get the thing to move. I was informed that it was stuck on and that heat may soften the adhesive.  :-?

I always find that a brief exploratory trip to the local scrapyard gives a good learning curve at minimal expense/scratching to my own paintwork....

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2007, 23:25:38 »

It could be that a previous owner had it glued back into place, but it's not really needed as the studs/clip setup seem very strong.

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2007, 23:29:05 »

I always find that a brief exploratory trip to the local scrapyard gives a good learning curve at minimal expense/scratching to my own paintwork....

Ahh that's my idea..  I thought of it first!  :D

I remember visiting the local scrappy with my dad back in the 80's, it's a good learning curve for a kid and now its a free training lesson prior to working on your own car.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2007, 23:39:30 »

If they still let you rummage. Many don't these days >:(

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mike_T

• Trimley Nr Felixstowe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2007, 20:32:52 »

Thanks for your feedback some very helpful advice, after braving the cold to wash and polish the car on Saturday and freezing my nuts off I will leave this job until the spring.
This is great to find a like minded and caring site with dedicated people.
Thanks again Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 22 queries.