Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dodgy mechanics  (Read 922 times)

markyboy

• northampton
    • View Profile
dodgy mechanics
« on: 31 December 2007, 00:26:40 »

my friend reccomended a mechanic to do my valve cover gaskets he told me he has done all the work on his car
the guy came to my house done the work and charged me 50 quid wich i thought was very cheap
all was well then 2 days later the eml came on followed by a misfire then the smell of burning oil pulled a lead off and the bank is full of oil again also lots of creamy smeg on the oil filler cap but oil is pi***ng out but i cant see where i know i need to paper clip it but any ideas
what this guy has done as he dosnt want to know now

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
Re: dodgy mechanics
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2007, 00:31:53 »

Send a PM to TheBoy. He's in Brackley, not far from you, and he will be able to put you straight.

This type of problem is better placed in the 'Omega General Help' section as well. All the clever kids hang out there.  :y
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2007, 00:45:50 »

my friend reccomended a mechanic to do my valve cover gaskets he told me he has done all the work on his car
the guy came to my house done the work and charged me 50 quid wich i thought was very cheap
all was well then 2 days later the eml came on followed by a misfire then the smell of burning oil pulled a lead off and the bank is full of oil again also lots of creamy smeg on the oil filler cap but oil is pi***ng out but i cant see where i know i need to paper clip it but any ideas
what this guy has done as he dosnt want to know now

Sorry to here about your run in with a dogey mechanic mate..
Could you not try to do the job yourself with the help of the forum? its a bit fiddley but not to hard honestly.
From Vauxhall for around £60 you will get the Cam Cover Gaskets, O rings and sealer needed. Patented gaskets are nowhere near as good.
As for the smeg you have on your filler cap alot of stop starting can cause this as well as crap oil.
When you say oil is pouring out but you can't see where from, it could be coming from the back of the Cam Covers.. there is a semi circle on the gasket that needs to be seating correctly, i would assume its coming from there.
Have a look at this link
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152564281

« Last Edit: 31 December 2007, 00:54:38 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2007, 08:53:52 »

As Loo-Knee said...

Also...

1. The cam covers leak due to blocked engine breathers, if the breathers have not been thoroughly cleaned before fitting the new gaskets then the new ones will start leaking as well.

2. It is imperative that original Vauxhall gaskets are used, the gaskets are made of thin rubber and some pattern gaskets harden and brittle very quickly.

3. The gaskets need to be applied with a small amount of RTV sealant (available from Vauxhall) in specific corners, again fitting them without the sealant or with too much sealant will cause them to leak again.

4. It is also imperative that when refitting the cam covers are evenly tightened to 8NM using a torque wrench - failing to that will cause them to leak again.

« Last Edit: 31 December 2007, 09:03:17 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2007, 08:56:29 »

As for the mayo in cap, as Loo Knee said this is normal and not related to the leaking cam covers.

The oil in the plug wells almost definitely comes from the cam covers, but did you check if is due to a fresh leak, or perhaps the mechanic simply did not dry the old leaked oil plug wells beforehand?

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2007, 09:34:50 »

As Loo-Knee said...

Also...

1. The cam covers leak due to blocked engine breathers, if the breathers have not been thoroughly cleaned before fitting the new gaskets then the new ones will start leaking as well.

2. It is imperative that original Vauxhall gaskets are used, the gaskets are made of thin rubber and some pattern gaskets harden and brittle very quickly.

3. The gaskets need to be applied with a small amount of RTV sealant (available from Vauxhall) in specific corners, again fitting them without the sealant or with too much sealant will cause them to leak again.

4. It is also imperative that when refitting the cam covers are evenly tightened to 8NM using a torque wrench - failing to that will cause them to leak again.

Having said that, I did the driver's-side cam cover on my car a few months ago, I have never done this before on an Omega but with the help of the Maintenance guide the job was done properly and no leaks since. So it is not too difficult as DIY and the job will be successful as long as you follow the instructions provided.

Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.