Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake Disc warp  (Read 2330 times)

old cruiser

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
Brake Disc warp
« on: 28 December 2007, 19:17:31 »

Found this morning that discs appear to have warped again for the fact that I was getting steering wheel shake under braking, only changed them a couple of months ago for the same reason and previously back in January, so decided to get Genuine Vx ones along with new pads for £81 on Trade club , so good price that, hopefully now after fitting these they might last a bit longer!! one thing I noticed with New Vx discs was that there was no cleaning to do as such,  as they weren't coated in any oil preservative at all which did save a bit of time, anyone else found this with the Genuine ones? unlike the Pattern ones I bought, caked in the stuff!! hopefully no more wobble ,not unless I've now got a sticky caliper!
Cheers Pete

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Disc warp
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2007, 19:24:20 »

I'm sure that you'll have the brakes sorted, now that you have a set of OEM discs fitted. I & others have been down the road of cheap pattern discs (on my Senator) and have had to do the job again.

old cruiser

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2007, 19:29:36 »

hopefully you're right Andy, just annoying that I've had to do it three times this year , the last set of pattern ones were  exchanged for the ones I fitted in January they were National Discs , never had trouble with these before until this car.
Cheers Pete

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2007, 19:41:19 »

There will still be a rust preventative of some sort on the disc surfaces that should be removed before use.  Unlikely that VX or any supplier will rely only on the brown waxed paper and silica gel packs...  A petrol dampened rag works but brake cleaner spray may be better.  

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2007, 19:43:59 »

hopefully you're right Andy, just annoying that I've had to do it three times this year , the last set of pattern ones were  exchanged for the ones I fitted in January they were National Discs , never had trouble with these before until this car.
Cheers Pete

... but were the other a foot in diameter?
Going back a few years I changed the discs on my Senator & they lasted 3/4000 miles before one of them ran out. I changed that one on its own. Another 3/4000 miles later I was back in the same position so I put my hand deep in my pocket & paid Vx to change them (pre ABS Trade Club prices  :() I didn't have any more problems after that. (apart from selling the car  ;))

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2007, 19:49:05 »

Cheers Pete
Did your other cars weigh 1.7 tons though? Its been said many times that pattern plate aren't up to the job on barges. I believe also that some well known manufacturers (who's parts you would think would be top quality) produce more than one level of quality, some made to a price.
Hopefully now thats a job you will not have to repeat for a long time now you've used VX parts :y
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2007, 19:53:41 »

had pattern discs on mine, switched to GM, massive difference  :y

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2007, 20:15:06 »

genuine gm is the way to go

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2007, 20:18:09 »

There will still be a rust preventative of some sort on the disc surfaces that should be removed before use.  Unlikely that VX or any supplier will rely only on the brown waxed paper and silica gel packs...  A petrol dampened rag works but brake cleaner spray may be better.  

Agree with H21........they would have had some sort of treatment (prolly light coating of oil)......when I changed my disks i used gen VX and i think there was a light coating of something on them......no waxed paper or silica jel packs in the box and they were nice and shiney.......i cleaned em using white spirit iirc

mahony

• Intermediate Member
  • london
    • omega elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2007, 20:31:03 »

I used mintex discs and pad in 2006 and still fine,£86 for discs and pads.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2007, 21:17:05 »

I am on my third set of discs&pads in the 6 years I owned the car, all were original Vx...

A few months ago while still on the second set, started having vibration while braking at Motorway speeds. Changed last April again (third set), as per usual used original Vx on TC, and all was well again. For a while, anyway... the vibration came back six months later... very annoying.

And yes, the Vx discs seemed clean but I gave them a good wash with brake cleaner anyway.

« Last Edit: 28 December 2007, 21:17:19 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

old cruiser

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2007, 19:59:46 »

I expect I'll get the same in another few months time it seems that anything you do with these damn cars the problems always come back (the design for these cars should have stayed on the drawing board), be glad to see the back of this damn car , once I've saved up enough for something decent!!
Cheers Pete

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 December 2007, 20:10:26 »

I expect I'll get the same in another few months time it seems that anything you do with these damn cars the problems always come back (the design for these cars should have stayed on the drawing board), be glad to see the back of this damn car , once I've saved up enough for something decent!!
Cheers Pete

I think you are probably right. You'll be much happier with something else.  :y
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

pauln

« Reply #13 on: 30 December 2007, 21:00:32 »

I've just fitted a set of e-bay discs and green stuff pads. I wonder if they will hold up ok, it currently stops better than anything else i've driven.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 December 2007, 00:16:13 »

Cheers Pete

I would be interested to know if the problem came back with the new discs... while you still have the car that is.

Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.