Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auxilliary belt tensioner  (Read 1041 times)

stevejones

• Wigan
  • God loves a trier!
    • View Profile
Auxilliary belt tensioner
« on: 14 January 2008, 12:37:58 »

The pulley wheel (which is top left as the engine is viewed from the front) which is described in one of the useful pics elswhere as the aux belt tensioner has siezed up and the wheel itself has been ripped from its mounting. To be fair, it had been making grinding noises and I'd ignored them!

The wheel seems to be held on by a single nut - is this is an easy enough job for me to do? What exactly will I see when I remove the nut and any ideas on costs of replacement?

Thanks for any advice

Steve

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
Re: Auxilliary belt tensioner
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2008, 12:40:47 »

yes you can replace the nylon wheel on its own, just undo the nut, a larger washer will come off and then the pulley wheel will pop off.....

I have heard some people in the past repack the bearings that are on the pulley wheel with varying degrees of sucsess....

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2008, 13:10:42 »

Aux Belt - 93181720 £28.35 (£17.50 on Trade Card)
Tensioner (Pulley) - 9157962 £22.50 (£20.26 on Trade Card)

This thread should provide all the answers! http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1198513995/10#10

stevejones

• Wigan
  • God loves a trier!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2008, 17:10:39 »

Cheers for the replies! The link is very useful as you say (strange - I searched 'tensioner' and 'auxiliary belt' before I posted but got zero back? Prob me getting the search wrong!).

I can't get my head around what I'll need to buy, given the metal wheel has siezed so assumedly something behind the metal wheel (bearings) has siezed and will need replacing?

Also I couldn't understand the bit about fitting and tensioning the aux belt once pulley is sorted - I'd guessed I would have to loosen off the alternator but it sounds like the tensioner wheel itself somehow moves?

Sorry if I'm being thick...
Steve

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2008, 18:41:36 »

Cheers for the replies! The link is very useful as you say (strange - I searched 'tensioner' and 'auxiliary belt' before I posted but got zero back? Prob me getting the search wrong!).

I can't get my head around what I'll need to buy, given the metal wheel has siezed so assumedly something behind the metal wheel (bearings) has siezed and will need replacing?

Also I couldn't understand the bit about fitting and tensioning the aux belt once pulley is sorted - I'd guessed I would have to loosen off the alternator but it sounds like the tensioner wheel itself somehow moves?

Sorry if I'm being thick...
Steve

Try searching 'Aux Belt' instead!  :y

Right, the bearing set is set into the pulley wheel, all you have to do is get a suitable size spanner / wrench and socket over the pulley bolt and turn clockwise to release the tension (I just stood on the nearside of the car and leant over to get easier leverage), while you've got the tension released (and you many need an extra pair of hands for this) slip the belt off the water pump pulley which is the big pulley in the centre of the block then return the tension and the belt should slip off.

I would replace the belt due to the nature of the problem and this will involve removing the odd bracket - just one on my car but not sure on earlier setups

Remove the bolt, remove the duff pulley, put the new pulley on and tighten the nut back on to 40Nm. Thread the new belt around the pulleys (there's a pic on here somewhere) and job done. I found it easier to thread the belt around all but the waterpump pulley then release the tension and slide it back on.

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2008, 18:45:41 »

The nylon wheel comes with the bearings integral, however that sits in a shaft, once you undo the 15mm nut it may become clear.

you can buy the tensioner in to ways, the most common is the pulley on its own, the other way is to buy the 'carrier' that the pulley sits on, this also houses the tensioner and is a lot dearer, and a lot more akward to fit.

if the pulley has seized onto the shaft then the latter is the only option. the pulley wheel will come as part of the tensioner, with the 15mm nut undone will the pulley slide off the shaft, if it wont then you have to buy the whole lot.

hope that makes sense

stevejones

• Wigan
  • God loves a trier!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2008, 13:42:56 »

Just a big thankyou to all who replied and gave me the confidence to have a go. The job was exactly as described and I got away with just the pulley wheel. This is a great site with some very helpful people - thanks again.

Steve

PS I am posting some info re a poss source of cheap parts on the chat section - found out by chance whilst phoning around Vauxhall dealers this morning...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 17 queries.