Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shaking steering when breaking  (Read 2740 times)

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
Re: Shaking steering when breaking
« Reply #15 on: 08 January 2008, 11:32:28 »

I had the same problem, not long after changing the discs (used non GM discs), mainly under braking, changed the discs, problem solved :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 January 2008, 12:22:41 »

Worth checking the wishbones for play...
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 January 2008, 12:42:40 »

Worth checking the wishbones for play...

Just got the wishbones, once replaced I'll let you know if it resolved my braking vibration problem...

Alas, no more Omegas....

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 January 2008, 12:52:28 »

Do you think a mot will find any torn bushes etc.
I have niticed this car has discs on back and front, can we be sure it would be the front ?
How dear are the discs and how easy to fit, I have replaced the on other cars, but not a omega.   ::)

MOT should spot it but I wouldn't leave it that long if only because if the wishbones are gone (common problem) your tyres will rapidly get worn out on the edges.

A good (cheap!) first test would be too swicth front and rear wheels - that will eliminate anything to do with tyre imbalance.

The bushes referred to are most likely the wishbone bushes.

Changing disks/pads is straightforward but best to use genuine GM parts - they sell a kit which is about 70 quid all in with a trade card.  But I wouldn't do this until you have confirmed the cause.

Neil_MV6

• Sutton Coldfield-West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 January 2008, 13:41:49 »

I have exactly the same problem.  I've just had new front tyres and it's still the same.  I know my disks need replacing but I'm also getting some knocking from the front suspension so wishbones are on my to-do list also.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #20 on: 08 January 2008, 21:10:48 »

Disks easy to change - you will need an 18mm socket though to undo caliper bolts + male torx to undo disk locking bolt.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Terry_Seyforth

• Great Yarmouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 February 2008, 14:26:39 »

I havent had chance to investigate this problem, but have noticed I have been getting a shake even when driving along without breaking, sometimes it doesnt appear but more often than lately it is more noticable.
I have noticed the drivers side wheel seems to have found a leak, about 5 to 6  psi every week, would the loss of this amountof air in one tyre cause a wheel to shake ?
Thanks
DOH!!

DaveyDavey

• Intermediate Member
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 February 2008, 16:01:46 »

Now I'm no expert, but I would hazard a guess at suspension bush failure being the culprit. When you are braking then you are loading the front end and the bushes etc with additional weight , so if they are knackered then you will notice a problem that isn't apparent when you are driving along.

Since your shake has appeared whilst you are not using the brakes, then I would guess that you can rule out warped discs for the time being and should concentrate on the bushes.

Personally I wouldn't be driving the car either: I had an old Astra Estate that wobbled under braking and had weird noises/wobbles when driving - when the MOT came the garage said it was dangerous and shouldn't be on the road due to a number of issues.

I'd get it looked at asap!

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 February 2008, 17:46:56 »

Yes it maybe worn bushes, however if it happens over 50 mph it is the disc's, worse with auto's', people don't use the hand brake only the foot brake, ie exit motorway, slow from 70 mph to zero in 70 metres on slip road, sit while lights change with foot on brake, area between disc & pad is VERY bloody hot, keep doing this and the disc WILL be damaged.  ;)
regards
richard
richard a

old cruiser

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 February 2008, 20:01:59 »

My money is on wishbones (common problem on these cars), especially as I  noticed you mention turning off the roundabout, what you could try doing is when at say 60mph on motorway move steering wheel from left to right slowly and by a small, say an inch either side and see if the steering shakes by any amount, if so it's going to be most likely a shot bush/bushes in wishbones and at the very least steering linkage  :y
Cheers Pete

Big_Roger

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 February 2008, 21:42:41 »

Hi All,
I had this precise problem on a Renault Safrane I used to have, ie when slowing down from motorway speeds. Quite severe at times. Changed discs & pads & eventually calipers. (If you think Vx parts expensive, just be glad you don't have a Renault)

None of these were the problem, it was finally found to be the lower suspension bushes, equiv to Omega wishbone bushes. All looked OK, but nearside gone soft through oil leak on drive shaft joint.

HTH

Roger
Be patient ! Something else will go wrong for you to fix if you wait long enough !!

Terry_Seyforth

• Great Yarmouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 February 2008, 18:19:13 »

Thanks for all the info, I have got some good tips, I will have to jack it up and see If I can notice anything.
If not get a professional to have a look.
I will post my results when I have found the problem, maybe help someone else that has got similar problems.
DOH!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.