Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Spark No fuel ??  (Read 747 times)

Mike_T

• Trimley Nr Felixstowe
    • View Profile
No Spark No fuel ??
« on: 09 February 2008, 14:38:33 »

Hi, The crankshaft sensor (genuine Vax) was changed on my Nov 2000 2.5 16,000 miles 18 months ago and I am experiencing the same problems, so did the paper clip test and shows 31, there is No spark and No fuel fuel pressure when cranking and the feed and return pipes are loosened.
I fitted a new genuine Cam sensor but that hasn't made any difference, all of the above still the same.
What is the life expectancy of the crank sensor ? Could it have failed in such a short while.
I have tried a new fuel pump relay, and the fuel pump fuse is good, testing the fuse it has 0.16 volts while cranking.
Does anyone know the sequence in which the electronics are started and could they be waiting for a signal from the crank sensor ??
the Engine turns over as it always has and the EM light stays on without blinking.

apreciate help Mike.

Could this be the immobilizer playing up ??
« Last Edit: 10 February 2008, 08:52:55 by Mike_T »

batista

• yardley wood birmingham
    • View Profile
Re: No Spark No fuel ??
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2008, 16:54:06 »

have you changed the key at all,is it the same chip in it.

Mike_T

• Trimley Nr Felixstowe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2008, 17:08:49 »

Hi, Thanks but nothing else has been changed, I drove it home on Wed night after months of trouble free motoring, it was realy running on top form. then Thusday she refused to start, and has done since.

Mike_T

• Trimley Nr Felixstowe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2008, 10:17:15 »

Hi , if this problem is the immobilizer can it be bypassed some way to proove a piont ??
I have read somewhere on here that the light would flash if it was a faulty immobilizer, no lights flashing so could it be ok and the fault somewhere else ?
I have tried the Wifes spare key but no joy.
Mike.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2008, 14:39:17 »

Hi, The crankshaft sensor (genuine Vax) was changed on my Nov 2000 2.5 16,000 miles 18 months ago and I am experiencing the same problems, so did the paper clip test and shows 31, there is No spark and No fuel fuel pressure when cranking and the feed and return pipes are loosened.
I fitted a new genuine Cam sensor but that hasn't made any difference, all of the above still the same.
What is the life expectancy of the crank sensor ? Could it have failed in such a short while.
I have tried a new fuel pump relay, and the fuel pump fuse is good, testing the fuse it has 0.16 volts while cranking.
Does anyone know the sequence in which the electronics are started and could they be waiting for a signal from the crank sensor ??
the Engine turns over as it always has and the EM light stays on without blinking.

apreciate help Mike.

Could this be the immobilizer playing up ??

It is crank sensor symptoms.......cam sensors dont fail on the V6 and they wouldn;t cause non starting.

The crank sensor could fail that soon if its been poorly fitted and the cable badly routed.

I would check the crank sensor is plugged in first and then consider changing it with the cable routed as per the maintenance guide.

Code 19 is what we would normaly expect for crank sensor failure but, you can get code 31 if the cable is physicaly broken is the plug disconnected (hence check the connector!)

Mike_T

• Trimley Nr Felixstowe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2008, 17:16:00 »

Hi and thanks for your help, I checked the crank sensor connector and it was ok but unplugged it a couple of times just to make sure there wasn't a poor connection, tried to restart but alas still the same.
I have removed the sensor but it looks as good as new, no sign of any damage and I feel that anyone would think it was new. I am goint to the main dealer tomorow to get another, their last invoice shows part No. GM0090492061 on 29/9/05 and it cost £59.22 inc vat.
I will cross my fingers and be extra nice and  8-) in the hopes that it does the trick.
Regards Mike.

Mike_T

• Trimley Nr Felixstowe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2008, 22:06:13 »

Hi Marks, Got a new crank sensor & fitted it tonight after work, I was delighted when it started so many thanks !!  :y.
I changed the camshaft sensor for the old one which proved that it didn't need changing  :-[.
I am rather puzzled why my fault code didn't flash out 19 to indicate the correct fault, and lead me astray with flashing 31. perhaps I would benefit from purchasing a code reader instead of trusting the paper clip test.
Could you please advise as to which code reader I need for my model, and hopefully one that could also be used for my wifes Corsa, its a 1997 1.4 CDX.
I am going to treat the Omega to a new battery coz its taken an awful pounding and it is over 7 years old.
Thanks again for your much appreciated help.
Mike.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2008, 08:13:59 »

Hi Marks, Got a new crank sensor & fitted it tonight after work, I was delighted when it started so many thanks !!  :y.
I changed the camshaft sensor for the old one which proved that it didn't need changing  :-[.
I am rather puzzled why my fault code didn't flash out 19 to indicate the correct fault, and lead me astray with flashing 31. perhaps I would benefit from purchasing a code reader instead of trusting the paper clip test.
Could you please advise as to which code reader I need for my model, and hopefully one that could also be used for my wifes Corsa, its a 1997 1.4 CDX.
I am going to treat the Omega to a new battery coz its taken an awful pounding and it is over 7 years old.
Thanks again for your much appreciated help.
Mike.

To answer your question.

There are two fault types associated with the crank sensor.

19 - Crank sensor in-correct signal
31 - Crank sensor no rpm

19 is a general indication that the ECU can see some signal but, its not correct all the time or is not what it expects to see

31 is an inidcation that the ECU cant see any valid signal at all, this can occur if the engine is not running or if the sensor has totlay failed or a wire is damaged.

As always, fault codes are an indication and a clue to the fault and not always a definative answer (the point where many professionals go wrong!) and require a full view of the symptoms to make the final judgemen (i.e. non starting, no fuel, no spark etc)

As for a code reader, it depends on your budget, a good one is around 250 quid which would support both vehicles, a cheap alternative is the cheapo tech2  at about 25 quid, this again would be of use on both cars but, the software is a little shakey and it does require a laptop with a real serial port.

Mike_T

• Trimley Nr Felixstowe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2008, 20:41:47 »

Hi Marks, Thanks for your info can you please advise as to make and model for a good quality code reader, and perhaps a supplier. possibly the one you use ?? This is a tool I have often thought of purchasing but never got round to it, thinking its perhaps time to get one now
Regards Mike.

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2008, 22:16:58 »

I was going to ask a q on here but funnily enough this falls into what I need to know...where is the crankshaft sensor on the v6 Omega engines? And what does it look like exactly?? I have a 99 mini facelift 2.5 v6
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2008, 22:21:07 »

I was going to ask a q on here but funnily enough this falls into what I need to know...where is the crankshaft sensor on the v6 Omega engines? And what does it look like exactly?? I have a 99 mini facelift 2.5 v6

See here:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1174321688

Remember, maintenance guides are your friends and often have useful pictures in them  :y

Mike_T

• Trimley Nr Felixstowe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2008, 18:10:34 »

Hi Marks, Thanks for your info can you please advise as to make and model for a good quality code reader, and perhaps a supplier. possibly the one you use ?? This is a tool I have often thought of purchasing but never got round to it, thinking its perhaps time to get one now
Regards Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.