Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locked out III  (Read 1147 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Locked out III
« on: 16 February 2008, 13:52:18 »

After following the advice from here & else where, I've always been led to believe that even with a very flat battery you should still be able to get into a dead-locked Omega. I've just tried to get into mine and the car was NOT going to let me in. No matter how hard I tried, the lock was never going to turn. I'm in now though. Mine is PRE face lift I got in via the boot, flipped the boot light out, took the lamp out & put my battery charger across the terminals. Then while I had the alarm farting away at me I then opened the driver's door with the key as normal! I ordered a new battery from Vx a week yesterday, as yet I'm still waiting.  :-?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Locked out III
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2008, 21:56:07 »

After following the advice from here & else where, I've always been led to believe that even with a very flat battery you should still be able to get into a dead-locked Omega. I've just tried to get into mine and the car was NOT going to let me in. No matter how hard I tried, the lock was never going to turn. I'm in now though. Mine is PRE face lift I got in via the boot, flipped the boot light out, took the lamp out & put my battery charger across the terminals. Then while I had the alarm farting away at me I then opened the driver's door with the key as normal! I ordered a new battery from Vx a week yesterday, as yet I'm still waiting.  :-?
My 1998 minifacelift allows me to get in when deadlocked with flat battery. Tested a few times this year ::)
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2008, 22:08:47 »

My 1998 minifacelift allows me to get in when deadlocked with flat battery. Tested a few times this year ::)

By all account it should have let me in, but I tried as humanly possible to open mine with the key but it was having non of it  :'(. As the boot let me in, I thought it'd be easier using the battery charger on the boot light than glueing the key back together!  ;D
As a matter of interest, what size (ampere) battery do you have on your car? I was too lazy to remove the jacket from mine, so just went with the daler who said that it should be 72A. I since been told that 72A are for tractors. If it's as big as Paul(judibru's) on his diseasle, which fills the tray, then it's not going to fit the jacket that mine is in.  :-?  :-?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2008, 22:12:25 »

By all account it should have let me in, but I tried as humanly possible to open mine with the key but it was having non of it  :'(. As the boot let me in, I thought it'd be easier using the battery charger on the boot light than glueing the key back together!  ;D
As a matter of interest, what size (ampere) battery do you have on your car? I was too lazy to remove the jacket from mine, so just went with the daler who said that it should be 72A. I since been told that 72A are for tractors. If it's as big as Paul(judibru's) on his diseasle, which fills the tray, then it's not going to fit the jacket that mine is in.  :-?  :-?
I bought one the other day, its as per TC book (though its gone up 2Ah).  66Ah rings a bell.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2008, 22:18:12 »

........  66Ah rings a bell.

Mmm! That's what my specially traind vx techy says too. I think I'll be in my local dealers on Tuesday for one of them. Over a week to get in something as mundane as a battery is taking the p*** to me.
Maybe I'll have to invest in a solar panel to keep the Omega's battery topped up-ish while it sits on the drive.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2008, 22:20:45 »

........  66Ah rings a bell.

Mmm! That's what my specially traind vx techy says too. I think I'll be in my local dealers on Tuesday for one of them. Over a week to get in something as mundane as a battery is taking the p*** to me.
Maybe I'll have to invest in a solar panel to keep the Omega's battery topped up-ish while it sits on the drive.
My small local independent dealer had one in stock...
Grumpy old man

X30XE . MV6

• ESSEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2008, 23:35:04 »

1 OFF MY MATES WORK IN CAR SHOP AND HE GOT ME A 332 I + BATTERY WHICH FITS IN THE TRAY VERY WELL AND THAT READS 82AH 640 AMPS AND IT COST ME £72.50 WITH 4 YEARS WARANTY IF YOU WANT A SOLAR PANEL HE HAS THEM IN STOCK FOR £12.00 IF YOU WANT 1 I WILL POST IT TO YOU

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2008, 10:26:12 »

1 OFF MY MATES WORK IN CAR SHOP AND HE GOT ME A 332 I + BATTERY WHICH FITS IN THE TRAY VERY WELL AND THAT READS 82AH 640 AMPS AND IT COST ME £72.50 WITH 4 YEARS WARANTY IF YOU WANT A SOLAR PANEL HE HAS THEM IN STOCK FOR £12.00 IF YOU WANT 1 I WILL POST IT TO YOU

Thanks. I have been having a look at solar panels in general to maybe help top up the battery in the caravan for when we're away without hook-up. I'll let you know.

Minispud

• Intermediate Member
  • Banbury, Oxfordshire
  • Ride hard with Passion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2008, 11:37:52 »

Thanks. I have been having a look at solar panels in general to maybe help top up the battery in the caravan for when we're away without hook-up. I'll let you know.

To use a solor panel for the running of your caravan, when there is no elec hook up, you are going to need some thing very big, but if it's just to charge up the battiers then go for a couple of three, Try Maplins for them
D.A.R.N.A Cycles.   Ride with Passion in your Heart

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2008, 11:45:32 »

You can boost/charge the battery without the bonnet or doors open by connecting the charger/booster to the positive connection of the starter motor which is accesible from under the engine area...this is connected directly to the positive battery connection so will do the same as having the charger connected direct to the battery...
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2008, 11:50:06 »

...... To use a solor panel for the running of your caravan, when there is no elec hook up, you are going to need some thing very big, but if it's just to charge up the battiers then go for a couple of three, Try Maplins for them

There's  110A battery fitted to the 'van so anything gained free from the sun would just be a bonus. I was really think as a boost for week-end use, anything much longer & we'd be using mains hook up.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2008, 22:20:59 »

For 'van use you really need a solar panel of at least 50 watt, anything less is pretty useless. I use a 65 watt panel with a charge controller fitted.

HTH

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2008, 22:55:51 »

For 'van use you really need a solar panel of at least 50 watt, anything less is pretty useless. I use a 65 watt panel with a charge controller fitted.

HTH
Thanks. It was that kind of size I had in mind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.