Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camshaft Sensor  (Read 857 times)

ThirdMan

• Iver Heath, South Bucks
    • View Profile
Camshaft Sensor
« on: 25 February 2008, 22:12:56 »

Having had the beast purring along beautifully for ages now, today was a nightmare!  It suddenly stopped running TWICE on the dreaded North Circular in NW London approaching the equally dreaded Hangar Lane Gyratory System. To those of you who don't know where this lot is-----congratulations, & try to keep it that way ! Anyway, had to be towed home bum in air by a recovery vehicle  :'( .   Paper-Clip test came up with 19 - camshaft sensor.   Found all I need on this excellent site, rang a local VX dealer, who confirmed that there are two types of connector, so I took off the wiper arms, removed the scuttle, but couldn't see which plug was meant in the write-up.  So I unscrewed the sensor, thinking I'd pull on the armoured wiring  & trace the connector that way.   Now the problem, -- can't get the sensor out!  I can rotate it about it's axis, but cant get the charming thing out, 'cos it's a bit oily & I can't get a grip! (Guess that's a clue as to why it's playing up!!!) Anyone know /remember how deep it sits in it's recess? Can't do anything tomorrow as I'm out all day,  but it'd be nice to know something before I start lying on the road on Wednesday!  

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Camshaft Sensor
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2008, 22:15:37 »

i hope you mean crank sensor - the one by oil filter.

once the torx is removed, it just pulls out.

is it plastic or metal?
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2008, 22:21:17 »

On my old 2.5 I couldn't get the sensor out because the oil filter case had a "projection" that stopped me pulling the sensor out. I had to remove the filter, use a long reach socket inside the filter case, loosen the bolt and rotate the filter a few degrees in order to make room. After that it was easy !!!  (ish) .... :)

Could this be your problem ??

ThirdMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2008, 22:23:55 »

i hope you mean crank sensor - the one by oil filter.

once the torx is removed, it just pulls out.

is it plastic or metal?

Sorry, Yes I mean the Crank sensor !!!
Have removed the torx, can spin it a bit, but can't pull it out, - too slippery when I'm lying on the road under the beast....will try again when I'm warmer!   It's a cheapo metal, and it crumbles when I try to extract it with a teeny-weeny mole-type wrench!

ThirdMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2008, 22:26:34 »

On my old 2.5 I couldn't get the sensor out because the oil filter case had a "projection" that stopped me pulling the sensor out. I had to remove the filter, use a long reach socket inside the filter case, loosen the bolt and rotate the filter a few degrees in order to make room. After that it was easy !!!  (ish) .... :)

Might be, cos last year I had to change the oil-filter case................bullocks !    It only gets worse doesn't it ?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2008, 22:31:20 »

Might be, cos last year I had to change the oil-filter case................bullocks !    It only gets worse doesn't it ?

Nah .. it gets better .. we offer you solutions ... you do the work .... if it goes wrong .. we blame you !!  simple ..  :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2008, 23:41:57 »

...............bullock ......

that's my name ... use your own!!  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.