Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cylinder Head? Fan? Temp Gauge Sender?  (Read 570 times)

Omega man 2

• Omega Knight
  • If all else fails, get out the oxy!
    • View Profile
Cylinder Head? Fan? Temp Gauge Sender?
« on: 26 February 2008, 14:30:47 »

Hi,  My 1999 2.0 Omega, 74,000 miles, is overheating. The water pump and thermostat are both working fine. It is NOT losing any coolant nor are there any leaks. I think it may be the fan or temp. sender unit. My neighbour, who is fairly handy with these things, think's it's the cylinder head gasket. If that was the case, could I do it myself? I'm fairly handy, I can change brake pads, Oil, Camcover gasket, etc. I have been quoted over £1000 from a main dealer to have the cylinder head gasked replaced.

mattyboy

• Southampton
    • View Profile
Re: Cylinder Head? Fan? Temp Gauge Sender?
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2008, 14:39:25 »

Although its still possible its the head gasket i'd be surprised at the mileage your car has done, but the classic signs of a headgasket leaking are water in the oil which will make a white/yellow sludge under the oil filler cap also check the dip stick for signs. But in answer to the question of changing the headgasket yourself it is possible yourself and i'm sure there is a "how to" guide somewhere on this forum.  :y

Albus Dumbledore

• Bergen, Norway
    • View Profile
Re: Cylinder Head? Fan? Temp Gauge Sender?
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2008, 20:47:25 »

If it is the cylinder head gasket, It would be a good idea to get the Haynes repair manual for your car:) I have one for mine, and I replaced the cylinder head without problems, using the guide:)

If you think it's the fan, then start the car, and when the temperature reaches normal, (about 90 Celsius) then se under the bonnet if the fan kicks in. It should when the car stands still and the thermostat let's the hot water in to the radiator. If it doesn't start, then it's probably the fan:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.