Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cigarette Lighter  (Read 950 times)

Blueview

• London
    • View Profile
Cigarette Lighter
« on: 03 March 2008, 19:36:43 »

My front Cigarette lighter has ceased to function.

I initially tried it with a phone charger and it seemed to work fine - the phone was charging beautifully.

2nd time, the charger's light flashed and then went out.  The lighter now appears dead.

Can anyone advise? I'm on the understanding that the ciggy fuse is shared with a number of other things, which themselves haven't ceased to work. Have I blown something?

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
Re: Cigarette Lighter
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2008, 19:40:53 »

Have you tried something else in the socket as it might be the fuse in the phone chargers fuse thats blown :-/
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

Blueview

• London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2008, 19:45:09 »

Thanks Baron, I'll have a go with a seperate plug-in and see what the result is.

Can you dispel/confirm a myth in the meantime. I was once told not to use the rear and fron lighters at the same time otherwise I would have dire electrical consequences and that it was always better to use a multi-adapter in the front only.  Do you believe that this holds true?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2008, 20:49:18 »

Your myth is exactly that. The front and rear lighter sockets are fed from separate circuits so there's no problem with using both.

Either way, if you're going to plug 2 things into one socket as opposed to one in each, the load on the electrical system is the same.  :-?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2008, 00:44:57 »

Your myth is exactly that. The front and rear lighter sockets are fed from separate circuits so there's no problem with using both.

Either way, if you're going to plug 2 things into one socket as opposed to one in each, the load on the electrical system is the same.  :-?

Kevin

Just to confirm that, I seem to remember that the Front is wired through the Ignition, where as the rear is on all the time?

alanfp

• Chelmsford, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2008, 01:04:08 »

Although the rear one doesn't go off with the ignition, I think it goes off after some time (20 minutes?).  But I also think it comes on when you open the doors with the remote, so it makes you think it has been on all the time!!!!
Alan

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2008, 02:37:41 »

Although the rear one doesn't go off with the ignition, I think it goes off after some time (20 minutes?).  But I also think it comes on when you open the doors with the remote, so it makes you think it has been on all the time!!!!

You mean the little b*gger falls asleep when your not looking! wondered why my Sat Nav wasn't charging properly when I leave it under my seat.

jules

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
  • Woke up this morning a post whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2008, 08:10:02 »

Check the entire ashtray is seated correctly, it's held in by some screws. It has an electrical connector plug into socket (i think) at the back in the middle that carries the power for the lighter and the illumination.
If this has somehow moved or come loose that could be your problem.

Cheers
Hotel21 wrote 'Its doubtfull in the extreme if it is the head gasket at fault.  If it were burning 5 litres per week the car would leave a smokescreen behind it!'
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.