Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: steam  (Read 644 times)

vrba

• Croatia
    • View Profile
steam
« on: 20 March 2008, 15:09:34 »

Hi,
Is there something wrong when there is little steam coming out of exhaust?
Like there is lots of condensation, on colder days this can be normal but i noticed when there is no steam coming out on other cars i can see mine in mirror?

Any opinion is this normal or something fault

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
Re: steam
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2008, 15:38:02 »

the v6 does create a lot of steam bud but should clear after a good run !! :y

vrba

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2008, 15:42:41 »

ok

thx

bigdods

• Intermediate Member
  • Brackley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2008, 16:28:40 »

I noticed this on my 2.5, any time I sat in a traffic jam it started putting out a fair amount of steam. Its normal. My 3.0 does it as well but a smaller amount.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2008, 20:59:33 »

The V6 is, by design, reasonably fuel efficient.  Water is a byproduct of good combustion so, by default, generates a fair ammount of water out the tailpipe...

alanfp

• Chelmsford, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2008, 01:00:58 »

mmmm....

more efficient combustion = more steam??? not sure about that - maybe I'll have to go through my old text books, but that doesn't sound right at first glance.  It would suggest that we'd see more steam (OK water vapour) coming from the exhaust of a new Japanese supermini than out of an old 3 litre Capri - I just don't think that's the case.

I'm afraid my experience of owning cars with lots of steam coming from the exhaust has been because coolant was getting into the combustion chambers.

As Markey-Kark says, though, it should clear up once the engine and entire exhaust system is hot.  But I would keep a close eye on your coolant level for now.
Alan

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2008, 13:58:58 »

The other factor to bear in mind is that the V6 has quite a large exhaust system which takes a while to warm up fully (and probably never does so when pootling around town) so the gases have cooled to saturation by the time they exit the exhaust and cause steam as soon as they hit the cooler air outside.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2008, 14:02:41 »

mmmm....

more efficient combustion = more steam??? not sure about that - maybe I'll have to go through my old text books, but that doesn't sound right at first glance.  It would suggest that we'd see more steam (OK water vapour) coming from the exhaust of a new Japanese supermini than out of an old 3 litre Capri - I just don't think that's the case.

I'm afraid my experience of owning cars with lots of steam coming from the exhaust has been because coolant was getting into the combustion chambers.

As Markey-Kark says, though, it should clear up once the engine and entire exhaust system is hot.  But I would keep a close eye on your coolant level for now.

You had better do that then.....because water is a by product of a well combusted fossil fuel following interaction with an efficient cat.

It shows up more on some cars than other due to the size of the exhaust because it cools more in the big unit used on the Omega compared to Micra....

....plus petrol engine efficency has not changed that much in the last ten years......1's of percent at best.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 18 queries.